Just for old times sake - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just for old times sake

shaggycoo

Great memories, we were sitting at the Eiffel Tower in the afternoon (lovely day) Scots everywhere, singing, drink and having fun. My mate announced to us that "something special was going to happen" . He wasn't wrong. 

We too didn't know what to do with ourselves after the game. So we bought a carry oot and headed back to the tower. 4 of us a couple of police and some local jakeys the place was empty :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, brilliant times.

Watch this video, it gets me teary eyed every time.

Richard Gordon is superb.

Yep,it gets me that way as well and Richard Gordon,brilliant

In my long career in following Scotland which includes 3 WC,that night is up there with some of the best I,ve witnessed.The night before,whole day of the game,the march,the game,the goal,the celebration,the support,celebration after the game,a blur

I still have 3 x 70 EUR tickets unused from that game after getting scotland end tickets from the travel club late on. Couldn't give them away outside the ground, many others were in the same position.

I remember staring at the scoreboard in disbelief, watching that clock click away. Unreal feeling. Best scotland game I've yet attended during the best campaign since '98.

2 minutes ago, harrystarfish said:

I still have 3 x 70 EUR tickets unused from that game after getting scotland end tickets from the travel club late on. Couldn't give them away outside the ground, many others were in the same position.

I remember staring at the scoreboard in disbelief, watching that clock click away. Unreal feeling. Best scotland game I've yet attended during the best campaign since '98.

I'd keep them and frame them.

Part of Scottish football history IMO.

5 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I must have been the only person gutted when I found out the result

Id recently started a new job and was on the backshift so planned to tape it and avoid the score. This was in the days before everyone had smart phones so you'd think it would have been a doddle to avoid the score, especially as my work was full of middle aged women who took no interest in football.

I found myself a desk way away from everyone and put my Sony Ericsson mobile Walkman in and was listening to the same 13 songs over and over. 

I still watched the game back and still went radge when the goal went in and went radger when the whistle went. I was doing cartwheels around the living room at 2 in the morning

How did you end up seeing the score?

I had the worst hangover ever, not exaggerating, and at the time of kick off the parc de princes was the last place i wanted to be !

12 of us travelled over for a joint celebration - 5 of us had their 40th birthdays that year. 

On the morning of the day before the game we went on an open top bus tour with a massive cargo of cheap plonk and by the time the tour was over they had to pour us off the top deck

We then jumped on the Metro and went to the Auld Alliance and obtained a second supply of plonk and were there till early evening - howling but what a time

We got the Metro back to our digs in the Sacre Couer and spent the rest of the night in a Pigalle Karaoke bar till 4 or 5 am

Got up 4 hours later still drunk, had breakfast and made our way to the Eiffel Tower

By about 3pm more booze had brought us back round to being more human along with the adrenaline of excitement.

Thouroughly enjoyed the parade but unfortunately it took the last bit of life out of me

By the time i got to my seat i was hanging like wet washing with the biggest drooth ever. I was clearly dehydrated.

I did manage to see and celebrate the goal as i had drunk myself sober by that point but i was completely fvcked at the end of the game.

Got back to our digs and went to my bed. Couldnt even celebrate the most meaningful away victory i had been at

Dick

Edited by Ally Bongo

What a night that was and i mind jumping up and down as soon as the ball left faddy`s boot as i knew where it was heading straight away.The wife had just sat down for a second and missed the goal and all she saw was us going mental before she eventually joined in.GLORIOUS.

Big regret that one. I had a ticket for the game, but against my better judgement, I took one for the team as I was getting married on the 22nd. Told the wife to be that a couple of lads were coming round to watch the game and have a beer, the last count was about 16 people in my living room, going absolutely bananas. 

I really should've just went, may have saved me 18 months of hell :lol:

what a day that was, great trip all in. The tower and the march were unreal, snuck beers in to the game and ended up with the Bolton TA as me and my friends had tickets away from each other. Stood at the back of the stand and missed the goal as my mate had text me the Italy score ? Gordon had the ball, I guessed it was safe, into the sporran I went, as I'm reading the text the noise lifted, I looked up to see the ball hitting the keepers hand and going in, mental. Afterwards found some.of the boys, went to the tower, nothing happening, we ended up sitting in a restaurant for a bit, then back to pigale then bed. Great day and night. Rank hangover the next day. I don't think anything will ever beat that football wise......unless we qualify

Brilliant day, really doesn't feel like 10 years ago ?.

As a mate said yesterday, could write a book about this trip alone. Arrived on the Monday, 2 days of swally, Tuesday night ended up in some bar/restaurant which was owned by some local TV chef, had a nose bleed which I never get and havn't had since, chefs wife proceeded to help me out, great night had with the staff and punters in the place. Day of the game was just mental from start to finish. Just remember sitting outside some cafe bar at the big roundabout near the ground thinking what the f*ck just happend. Best trip ever.

An emotional time for me, I had lost my lovely young wife a few weeks before, somehow found myself back in Jersey just after her funeral for a visit the Sunday before the game.

( I had left the island when she was ill as she wanted to be closer to her family ).
After meeting up on the Sunday for a drink with my old Jersey TA travel companions I found myself on the boat to St Malo with them come Tuesday.

Not afraid to say I cried a little at the end of the game, was an emotional wreck by the end of the trip, I was unsure what do do with my life after my loss,  but one thing that trip done for me was make my mind up to move back to the island because of the love and support I got from my TA mates.
You know who you are x

19 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I ended up 2 rows in front at the goal ?. Late drinking session that was properly euphoric. Actually savouring the victory and talking about the game instead of the usual drowning of sorrows and creating a party. Some good sing songs though....the Scots are having a paaaa-aarty...................................the French are going tae work !

I also seem to remember that watching the game back home, something happened that you don't see often. As the teams lined up for the anthems the French players were visibly distracted and looking at the crowd. Was like they sensed something strange was going on ☺

The French players were no double looking at the massive Scottish support and thinking "quelle le fook? Regardez tous Les Ecossais!" It must have disconcerted them....

On 9/12/2017 at 0:30 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, brilliant times.

Watch this video, it gets me teary eyed every time.

Richard Gordon is superb.

My favourite vid ever, brings a tear to the eye even 10 years later.. if only.. 

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, BlueGaz said:

:lol: I don't think there was an angle in the ground where it was obvious it went in straight away.  There was a delay, not sure if it was disbelief at the time or genuine, did it go in or not?

Not sure if i remember correctly, but was there not something regarding Trezeguet and a t-shirt at the time?  something like we wont get beat twice etc. 

agreed. we were up in the stand directly behind the goal that he scored in, even then I think there was a second or two of disbelief while folk checked to see if it was in fact bouncing around in the net. then mayhem!

fantastic trip all round. there were French sat all around us and took it very well. seemed not to mind being surrounded by us  - very good banter all round.

3 of us drove there in the campervan you see in my avatar, it took us nearly 24 hours, average speed about 40 mph, the starter motor broke going over the Dartford Crossing and we had to push start ( well my travelling companions did, it was my van afterall) we got many a funny look and a cheer as two kilted guys pushed started the van and then ran along the side and jumped in,,,

I remember the goal vividly , still didnae believe it had gone in...

2007 was the best yea of my life so far, Birth of my first child a wee girl, snp finally got elected and Faddys goals  ....

I remember the morning after the game when we left the campsite we drove passed the French FA and it was covered in Scotland flags....

On 13/09/2017 at 9:20 AM, Glasgowmancity said:

This one David?

I'm in the video - Sittingbourne TA (all 2 of us) with the Cheeseman & Sporran Legion members. Haven't seen this for years, brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting