Can the TA board be saved? - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can the TA board be saved?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

My impression is scotsmanarizona is deadly serious but obviously with only a handful of posts a little due diligence would be required. The guy has his own server and knows the software, can transition the board in as little as 2 hours... Yes it could be ron taking the piss but I suspect not and definitely there should be no excuse to close this board until that offer has been taken.

The people running this board are clearly pissed off at something but it is not yours to throw away, you are custodians of it and to announce its death in a closed thread is astonishing. Look at the response. The board has problems but is loved by many and many who are offering help. Where is the dialogue? The appeal for help before committing suicide? Ohhh I did not get that message, I did not see that post... 

I'm biased as scotsmanarizona is my brother but don't see what there is to lose by letting someone keep it going.

I suppose the alternative if it gets closed down would be for a new forum to be set up but then that means everyone having to register again.

Also the post count is FUBAR! Says I've only posted 4 times!

Edited by colin standrews

5 minutes ago, colin standrews said:

I'm biased as scotsmanarizona is my brother but don't see what there is to lose by letting someone keep it going.

I suppose the alternative if it gets closed down would be for a new forum to be set up but then that means everyone having to register again.

I think you may have come on a bus with me to Strachan's first game in charge at Pittodrie.

41 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That looks very similar to this board. Though Parkie on his own  has almost as many posts as their entire Anything Goes section. 

I see Ormond has a pair of safety boots up for sale already. 

You made me look for that. :lol:

36 minutes ago, colin standrews said:

The post count was reset somewhat several years ago (I think after one of the TAMB upgrades)

2 hours ago, andymac said:

Sometimes people just want to help, let's take the offer for what it is and push forward.

Maybe introducing GMC, Grumypy Auld Git, Scotsmanazizona and everyone else who wants to help is the right starting point for a team to make this happen.  The clock is ticking ladies and gents.

Seems sensible, but someone needs to make the introductions. You'd hope that Admin might do that, but I'm not filled with confidence at the moment - the buggering about with the title of the board is most strange - an obscure Shakespeare reference? Fiddling on the Titanic? A symptom of a message board's death throes? As Toepoke has pointed out, the archived old board looked fecked last time I had a gander, presumably no longer supported, and that would be a massive loss to the culture of the TAMB.

GMC said he was in contact with Admin, but I don't think he's mentioned any progress in the past week:

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:28 AM, Glasgowmancity said:

I've had a bit of an email exchange with Admin about it, the shortfall is significant & the only income is from advertisers, which then leads to stringent moderating as there are tight rules in place.  

I'm still trying to work out a feasible way of making the board work without charging as I feel that would bring further problems. 

There have been a fair few people offering to do something, some with the skills and kit to run a board, some with some management nous and plenty willing to stump up a bit of cash (someone mentioned that OLAS is the guy with the greatest technical know-how, but I don't think he's been around). If something's going to be done, then it looks to me like folk are going to have to start pm-ing each other, if they haven't already, and get things coordinated. You'd like to think Admin would do this as ultimately he or she is the one who will need to be central to this ... They could of course just be busy as fook in real life.

It's been good to see the likes of FE, Chaff and Calmac reappearing (come on, Kai, Armchair Bob & Kernaghan - at least drop in to say goodbye), but as I've said before, I think the board passed a tipping point in terms of the number of posters that could sustain it in anything like its old form (in terms of giving the forums some life, regardless of advertising revenue) and I don't know how that can be clawed back. Good luck to those who are putting effort in to saving it, but it's going to take some massive resuscitation if it's not just to float along in life-support apart from a bit of a flicker come international games.

I must be overly tired. I am tied up tomorrow but I will try and drag people to the same table (one for the wanky phrases) on Thursday and see where that goes.

I probably should recount The Bruce and the spider story but I will not,

Everything is possible if people want it to happen. No quick fixes, no silver bullets but it is possible.

2 hours ago, scotsmanarizona said:

Just an update to say that I have not heard anything from anyone yet with respect to the forum.  I have reached out to several people in this thread inviting them to a discussion forum to collaborate ideas.  Anyone wishing to contribute please feel free to PM me for details.

Thanks. I've done this. If nothing else, at least it will keep discussion of options in one, focused place (and it shows that scotsmanarizona can set up a board from scratch, if that's the way things end up going...)

8 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Seems sensible, but someone needs to make the introductions. You'd hope that Admin might do that, but I'm not filled with confidence at the moment - the buggering about with the title of the board is most strange - an obscure Shakespeare reference? Fiddling on the Titanic? A symptom of a message board's death throes? As Toepoke has pointed out, the archived old board looked fecked last time I had a gander, presumably no longer supported, and that would be a massive loss to the culture of the TAMB.

GMC said he was in contact with Admin, but I don't think he's mentioned any progress in the past week:

There have been a fair few people offering to do something, some with the skills and kit to run a board, some with some management nous and plenty willing to stump up a bit of cash (someone mentioned that OLAS is the guy with the greatest technical know-how, but I don't think he's been around). If something's going to be done, then it looks to me like folk are going to have to start pm-ing each other, if they haven't already, and get things coordinated. You'd like to think Admin would do this as ultimately he or she is the one who will need to be central to this ... They could of course just be busy as fook in real life.

It's been good to see the likes of FE, Chaff and Calmac reappearing (come on, Kai, Armchair Bob & Kernaghan - at least drop in to say goodbye), but as I've said before, I think the board passed a tipping point in terms of the number of posters that could sustain it in anything like its old form (in terms of giving the forums some life, regardless of advertising revenue) and I don't know how that can be clawed back. Good luck to those who are putting effort in to saving it, but it's going to take some massive resuscitation if it's not just to float along in life-support apart from a bit of a flicker come international games.

With regards to the second half your post, those are my concerns. Its been very entertaining reading a TAMB 'This is your life' over the past couple of weeks but it will not exist on sentiment forever.

If the posters involved manage to make the resurrection work its a shame if all their efforts were to be in vain.

Thought has to go into how to encourage more, and varied , posters. I remember someone posting their first post a few months ago, and someone completely ridiculed them. Not exactly the way to encourage people. There is room for all sorts , from people like me who post drivel but at least fill gaps, to people like yourself who have something worthwhile to add.

It has to be more tolerant because, as much as the good rapport amongst many posters is what makes the board real,  it can come over as a little cliquey at times.

Just my thoughts.  

It's a bit disconcerting that people are reaching out (wanky phrase) to Admin and hearing nothing back however I suppose it's understandable that they don't frequent the board that often these days.  Quite a few people seem to know some of the Admins personally so would it be an idea to make them aware off board that there are a couple of seemingly credible people looking to make contact with view to taking things over?

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

It's a bit disconcerting that people are reaching out (wanky phrase) to Admin and hearing nothing back however I suppose it's understandable that they don't frequent the board that often these days.  

They should at the moment though.  I understand they might not have time to do it anymore / financial situation etc, but there is genuine interest from a few to take it on and give it a good go.  Although they may not have time anymore, I think at the very least it deserves to be handed over intact and given a new lease of life.  I have noticed at least 1 or 2 guys who are attempting to keep it alive.  

Just now, Admin4 said:

We are in conversation with a couple of people.

It would not be our intention to kill the Board for the sake of it.

We are willing to work with people who have a genuine interest in keeping the Board going.

:ok:

Admin are the David Murray here. They've overseen past glories and have had enough. The glamour is gone. They used to have heaps of star posters but many of them have departed for pastures new. Twitter and Facebook are the new kids on the block, backed by wealthy foreign owners and are hoovering up all the talent. They can no longer compete with that and want rid of the burden of expectation that running the board brings. 

The big question now is whether they are going to "sell" the board to a Craig Whyte or an honest TAMBer who'll take it forward and aim to return it to it's former glories. 

Just now, Parklife said:

Admin are the David Murray here. They've overseen past glories and have had enough. The glamour is gone. They used to have heaps of star posters but many of them have departed for pastures new. Twitter and Facebook are the new kids on the block, backed by wealthy foreign owners and are hoovering up all the talent. They can no longer compete with that and want rid of the burden of expectation that running the board brings. 

The big question now is whether they are going to "sell" the board to a Craig Whyte or an honest TAMBer who'll take it forward and aim to return it to it's former glories. 

Sussed!

9 hours ago, Admin4 said:

We are in conversation with a couple of people.

It would not be our intention to kill the Board for the sake of it.

We are willing to work with people who have a genuine interest in keeping the Board going.

Ach stop trying to burst some people's bubble who would rather make unsubstantiated accusations having jumped to their own conclusions, you spoil sport! :mad: