Can the TA board be saved? - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can the TA board be saved?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Okay I'll let you away with it Bob, I've met the lovely Mindi so fully appreciate you feeling her. 

Bonzo 2 questions, 1- when looking for a photographer did you mention Cathkin Braes and 2- does he advertise on Grindr? If yes to both these questions this may become the tamb Calendar Girls moment. 

I'll need a wide angle lens. Walked into the pub to meet friends the other night and barman walking by said "are you with the Weight Watchers party?" He didn't think he deserved " No, are you with the baldy ugly group." because there really was a weight watchers group in.  

I only cheered up in the chippy on way home. 

Hahaha. I have an angle grinder if that's any gid? You seem to have missed an e out of yours. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

I'll need a wide angle lens. Walked into the pub to meet friends the other night and barman walking by said "are you with the Weight Watchers party?" He didn't think he deserved " No, are you with the baldy ugly group." because there really was a weight watchers group in.  

I only cheered up in the chippy on way home. 

:lol:

What is it Peter Kay says? Take the 'c' out of chips and what are you left with?

2 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

Exsqueeze me :huh:

I may have misread Bobs post.

:whistling:

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Is the enjoyable frivolity down to a fresh belief the board will be saved?

Or is it gallows humour?

We need an update.

Gallows.

At first I held hope for a saviour and up you popped, full of  verve and vigour and ideas and plans. Then within days (day?) you burst like a balloon bitten by my dug. 

I'm sure Manchester and Bluegaz are fervently working behind the scenes to raise the tamb Phoenix like. They will then be held figuratively aloft and jubilantly carried through cyberspace and their names will go through the ages until the time comes when a new post starts to claim they were nothing but

*Huns/tims/nats/yoons/sheepshaggers/Fifers. 

*Delete as appropriate.

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Hahaha. I have an angle grinder if that's any gid? You seem to have missed an e out of yours. 

Red snappers and E's. Jings Bonzo you're fair livening up Dogging with Hookers. :cheers3::cheers3: 

7 minutes ago, Dave in London said:

Sad this forum is (might) be a gonner.

Haven't posted a lot for yonks, but always felt reassured it was there. 

Joined 13 years ago.

That's mental in internet time.

:(

DiL welcome back. :ok:

Bloody hell I've never been to one of those spiritualist churches with long lost people popping up but I imagine it must feel like this. 

21 minutes ago, Bobster said:

:lol:

What is it Peter Kay says? Take the 'c' out of chips and what are you left with?

A fat arse, wobbly belly, 4 chins and thighs that would feed a team of stranded footballers on a frozen mountain top for at least a year? 

I think PK must have been at some of those clubs as I've actually heard some of the lines coming from members and ladies in charge. :lol::lol: 

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

A fat arse, wobbly belly, 4 chins and thighs that would feed a team of stranded footballers on a frozen mountain top for at least a year? 

I think PK must have been at some of those clubs as I've actually heard some of the lines coming from members and ladies in charge. :lol::lol: 

Ah ha, you're fooling nobody :)

Tell you what though. There's spies in these machines. I'm on Facebook and no sooner had I posted a reply to your Doggers post than up popped a recommended for you video on my Facebook feed. Peter Kay Car Share Dogging sketch :ph34r:

How did it know?

15 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Ah ha, you're fooling nobody :)

Tell you what though. There's spies in these machines. I'm on Facebook and no sooner had I posted a reply to your Doggers post than up popped a recommended for you video on my Facebook feed. Peter Kay Car Share Dogging sketch :ph34r:

How did it know?

Aye right, it's somehow spying on this site and not suggesting things based on your Facebook search history. :worried:

Try buying lube for a wetsuit and see what pop ups you get! :yikes3:

9 hours ago, Dave in London said:

Sad this forum is (might) be a gonner.

Haven't posted a lot for yonks, but always felt reassured it was there. 

Joined 13 years ago.

That's mental in internet time.

:(

You stopped posting, just around the time you'd have started winning our Arsenal vs Spurs league position bets. :P

3 hours ago, arbroath55 said:

There's a message board called Scotland. Com and it has a section on it called Scottish Sport which doesn't appear to be used that much. So why don't we all sign up as members and head over there. 

Just had a look and they all seem very polite and friendly. If even a 1/3 of this board joins it will destroy that lovely board. I've signed up. 

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

Gallows.

At first I held hope for a saviour and up you popped, full of  verve and vigour and ideas and plans. Then within days (day?) you burst like a balloon bitten by my dug. 

I'm sure Manchester and Bluegaz are fervently working behind the scenes to raise the tamb Phoenix like. They will then be held figuratively aloft and jubilantly carried through cyberspace and their names will go through the ages until the time comes when a new post starts to claim they were nothing but

*Huns/tims/nats/yoons/sheepshaggers/Fifers. 

I think I realized no matter what happens it is very unlikely to be the same. It is a bit of a responsibility this place as it is very highly valued by some (albeit a diminishing number). You would not want to the person who had to close it down. There was also a guy (with 1) post offering the use of his server (as he already runs a board with the same software). Said he contacted the mods so that might be something... Plus once I clicked how it was all run I felt sad they were all jacking it. End of era no matter what I think. 

25 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Just had a look and they all seem very polite and friendly. If even a 1/3 of this board joins it will destroy that lovely board. I've signed up. 

I've just signed up and am just awaiting my turn in the moderators queue before I can post, there`s already a thread on the World Cup.....

41 minutes ago, G-Man said:

11 minutes ago, arbroath55 said:

I've just signed up and am just awaiting my turn in the moderators queue before I can post, there`s already a thread on the World Cup.....

Splitters!

18 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I think I realized no matter what happens it is very unlikely to be the same. It is a bit of a responsibility this place as it is very highly valued by some (albeit a diminishing number). You would not want to the person who had to close it down. There was also a guy (with 1) post offering the use of his server (as he already runs a board with the same software). Said he contacted the mods so that might be something... Plus once I clicked how it was all run I felt sad they were all jacking it. End of era no matter what I think. 

I just assumed that was you but you were trying to stay anonymous. ;)

Not sure if this has been pointed out already, but Invision already supports subscription based services/access:

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/commerce

IMO, any new team should immediately investigate this as a means of bringing in income. Can be voluntary or even making most popular forums read-only until members pay, say £1 for a month's access. IMO, that's worth exploring before giving up on it.

£1 is small beer to be able to actually post on the site. Im pretty sure most users would have no problem paying quarterly/six-monthly/annually. There is a risk that some users would drift away but I don't see how that is any different to what is happening now. 

17 minutes ago, scotsmanarizona said:

I could keep this board exactly as it is and have it moved over to my server in a couple of hours.  Just waiting to hear back from admin.

I wasn't being entirely serious with that post. Although I am keeping an open mind.;)

It would be excellent if you could save the TAMB from extinction with, or without, the help of thplinth and others. Best of luck with your efforts.

Are you in Phoenix by any chance?

It's difficult to tell without seeing the admin pages or the user guides, but does anyone know if the IPS Commerce option has been explored before? The subscription based stuff looks really flexible and also includes support for an online store. Opens up loads of fundraising opportunities. Surely wouldn't be too difficult to run t-shirt design competitions (for example) at start of every campaign and sell best designs online?

Subscribing members would also have access to a forum discussing/voting on such designs as well as board rules, moderation issues, etc. Could even have regular fund-raising appeals via the store whether it's for forum funds, sunshine appeal, etc.

IMO, the SSC shouldnt be anywhere near the running of this forum but I've long thought this community needs to be run like a TA club. Subscriptions and online store would be one way to rework how we interact as a community.

Im curious about the IT aspects of the forum. Has anyone collated following information (if it's even been shared by the current owners):

1. What's the current member count?

2. What's the average number of users (per 15/30/45/60 mins) over the last year or so?

3. What's the number of active users (ie: users that have logged in in the last month)?

4. What's the average ratio of guests to members?

5. What's the hosting architecture (VPS, VDS, PDS, etc)?

6. Is the database hosted on same server as the forum software?

7. What's the breakdown of costs for hosting, IPB, etc?

Would be good to have a better understanding of traffic profile and related costs so that anyone thinking of getting involved can gen up.

18 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Im curious about the IT aspects of the forum. Has anyone collated following information (if it's even been shared by the current owners):

1. What's the current member count?

2. What's the average number of users (per 15/30/45/60 mins) over the last year or so?

3. What's the number of active users (ie: users that have logged in in the last month)?

4. What's the average ratio of guests to members?

5. What's the hosting architecture (VPS, VDS, PDS, etc)?

6. Is the database hosted on same server as the forum software?

7. What's the breakdown of costs for hosting, IPB, etc?

Would be good to have a better understanding of traffic profile and related costs so that anyone thinking of getting involved can gen up.

Maybe sending Admin a pm might get you some of the answers?