TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

I'm confused why this has gone straight to closure

No opportunity to identify cost cutting or revenue generation

I always thought the Mods were a moving sand, with new mods, and mods leaving, so not sure why decision taken by only the current mods, without opening up to wider community

I appreciate many of them, just be tired of task of modding, but would have expected just to pass the batton

I thought the prior monthly costs were GBP100 when discussing that people should be careful on what saying, because would impact advertising opportunities 

I'm normally on here around 3 times a day, and use as my news channel since i am abroad 

suspect the mods have moved on in their lives and dot want to run something like this anymore

been no evidence of them for months and appetite probably dried up

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

suspect the mods have moved on in their lives and dot want to run something like this anymore

The thing is though the Mods must know some of the regular posters on here, so they could have made contact to see if anyone wanted to take it on if this is just because their appetite has dried up :ok:

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

been plenty of mods - existing mods are not the original mods as far as i understand 

used to be Ezzy i think say 13 years ago, and then Bosnian lad was one of the main mods

If there is lack of mods, they pass the baton on

1 minute ago, Glasgowmancity said:

The thing is though the Mods must know some of the regular posters on here, so they could have made contact to see if anyone wanted to take it on if this is just because their appetite has dried up :ok:

they probably don't support Scotland anymore

Further to the Closure Announcement

Admin4

By Admin4 
09/08/2017

Since announcing the closure, a number of questions have been asked.

This is not a "boot in the arse" to Board members to increase traffic.

It’s worth pointing out to any people wanting to take on the TAMB that they will quickly outstrip any “free” message board system. That’s what happened with the pre-2003 TAMB and also happened during the “current TAMB” in 2003 – 2004. hence the "high" cost of keeping the Board going.
It’s all about the number of concurrent users online. At a point yesterday there were about 150 users online – Invision would be charging $130 per month for that. (
https://invisioncommunity.com/buy)

We would be prepared to do a handover of the domain names that we currently hold to a non-profit making group which seriously wants to organise a new TAMB and has the skills and numbers to do it. This would not include existing software or server. We are especially keen that the platform or the name do not fall into the hands of what we can only call bawbags. We need not mention names, but I'm sure members can think of a few. Any new group would have to start from scratch and give TAMB a complete bottom up ‘makeover’ and make themselves financially viable.

We have a couple of people who are willing to offer advice to any serious players.

The TAMB Team

4 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Further to the Closure Announcement

Admin4

By Admin4 
09/08/2017

Since announcing the closure, a number of questions have been asked.

This is not a "boot in the arse" to Board members to increase traffic.

It’s worth pointing out to any people wanting to take on the TAMB that they will quickly outstrip any “free” message board system. That’s what happened with the pre-2003 TAMB and also happened during the “current TAMB” in 2003 – 2004. hence the "high" cost of keeping the Board going.
It’s all about the number of concurrent users online. At a point yesterday there were about 150 users online – Invision would be charging $130 per month for that. (
https://invisioncommunity.com/buy)

We would be prepared to do a handover of the domain names that we currently hold to a non-profit making group which seriously wants to organise a new TAMB and has the skills and numbers to do it. This would not include existing software or server. We are especially keen that the platform or the name do not fall into the hands of what we can only call bawbags. We need not mention names, but I'm sure members can think of a few. Any new group would have to start from scratch and give TAMB a complete bottom up ‘makeover’ and make themselves financially viable.

We have a couple of people who are willing to offer advice to any serious players.

The TAMB Team

I'm assuming that software & server would be fairly important parts of the board along with a fair bit of techy knowledge/skills.  That rules me out unfortunately.

Would it not be possible just to transfer ownership, billing etc?

Edited by Glasgowmancity

22 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I'm assuming that software & server would be fairly important parts of the board along with a fair bit of techy knowledge/skills.  That rules me out unfortunately.

Would it not be possible just to transfer ownership, billing etc?

I'd humbly suggest that there would not be a huge amount of techy knowledge required, more the time to tidy/maintain / moderate etc.

I certainly have skills but no bloody time.

That bus organiser geezer sounds ideal.

2 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

I'd humbly suggest that there would not be a huge amount of techy knowledge required, more the time to tidy/maintain / moderate etc.

I certainly have skills but no bloody time.

That bus organiser geezer sounds ideal.

I think that came under the description of "bawbag" :ok:

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I'm not that tech savvy but I'd certainly be happy to give a bit of time to help out with this.

I may well fall under the "bawbag" category though :lol: 

I suspect i would as well. We want the board to continue, but not if it's someone we don't like doing it. In the past they've made it clear the "likes of you" aren't welcome. :lol:

it's weird that it seems to have gotten to a point where it's too popular to be cheap enough and not popular enough to be viable.

probably need a more informed discussion on the costs.  don't get if its 300 one minute then 150.  we still don't know what the revenue is.

fair play to the guys that have been running it, tho.  sure it's a thankless task.

2 hours ago, Glasgowmancity said:

It’s all about the number of concurrent users online. At a point yesterday there were about 150 users online – Invision would be charging $130 per month for that. (https://invisioncommunity.com/buy)

The easiest way to stop that is to stop guests viewing the board.  There are currently 120 users online, just over 2/3 (82) of which are guests

45 minutes ago, phart said:

We want the board to continue, but not if it's someone we don't like doing it.

I'd imagine that's the case. I'm not sure it'd be an insurmountable task for others to take over from whoever is doing it just now. Seems that the current "owners" don't want that to happen though. 

18 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

The easiest way to stop that is to stop guests viewing the board.  There are currently 120 users online, just over 2/3 (82) of which are guests

From reading the invision page you posted, it is based on "average" users online. 

What's an online visitor?

Our Cloud plans are based on the number of active, simultaneous online users your community can support. A visitor is 'online' when they are currently browsing your community, and for 15 minutes after. This includes both members & guests.

How do you measure my usage?

Our plans measure your online user count every 5 minutes, then calculate an average of the past 48 hours-worth of measurements, and it's this average which needs to be within your plan allowance. Because it's an average, spikes over the plan allowance aren't a problem if your traffic falls back to normal soon.

What happens if I go over the allowance?

If your average for the past 48 hours is over the allowance for your plan, our system will automatically upgrade you to the next plan level so that your site stays online. After the following month, you can downgrade to your previous plan, if desired.

3 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

#savethetamb

Like others, I would be more than happy to pay a small monthly contribution to help the running costs.

Every other message board or forum I've known that's moved onto social media has collapsed due to it becoming fragmented and rival sites being set up.  Just look at the mess that is the 50 different Tartan Army facebook pages, with new ones being set up all the time whenever anybody falls out with somebody. 

This is the original, and we should do all we can to save it.

What he said