Gonna miss this place - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gonna miss this place

bonny78

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Gonna miss this place.

Many happy times posting on this community… back in the good old days of England-R-Gay.. changed to E.R.G. after the ban (secret code).  All the names since then.  Just think.. a hearts  player had scored roughly the time I joined and that hasn’t happened till now.     Message boards are dying and being replaced by dam facebook groups that have way too many people and are usually untrollable, what we have here is family.     Sad days and we won’t even get a chance to talk about our play off games plus who we get in the draw on the 1st December!   

Scotland forever. 

This. I have not been a regular poster, but have been reading it almost daily for years. It's the only site on the web I visit on a regular basis, but I have noticed a reduction in Posts. I will be lost without it and can't be arsed with stalkbook. Shame. 

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

Are you or have you ever been a mod or an admin? Straight up.

I used to run a club forum years back and it really can become a burden, so i could understand if that's why they're dropping it. usually it's not actually the maintenance of the forum that's a problem it's politics.. people deciding to be assholes or infighting among mods. all very tiresome when all you actually want to do is chat about the football.

The £300 a month seems crazy. There's hosted options out there that should put it nearer £3 a month!

I think tamb is definitely saveable.. but it would be really useful to have some feedback from the current admins so we can maybe port the existing site so no data's lost, or keep the url etc.

Sad news. I joined some years ago and the amount of superb people I have had advice and help form via TAMB is incredible. I organised quite a few trips to Hampden (which always included some cultural aspects and lots of drinking) for my Dad and mates and could not have done it very well without help from people on here.  I received a brilliant cd of Scottish music from one TAMBer. Came up to Scotland on my own for the Italy game 2007 and organised my accomodation and meet ups with TAMB help. I even managed to set up a fledgling Yorkshire Tartan Army through TAMB. Thanks to all the TAMB organisers and members for lots of good arguments and humour. 

Aye, really disappointed in this news.

I barely post but I'm one of those creeps that's always hovering reading posts and getting information and advice, particularly for away trips.

I actually remember signing up to TAMB in college in Glasgow  (while skiving obviously) ahead of my 2nd ever away game (Netherlands Away) in November 2003. My first trip had been two months previous in Dortmund when I'd been landed with the WESTA flag as way of initiation, and I vividly remember browsing TAMB as a new member 14 years ago as a hyper newcomer to the whole travelling for Scotland games thing.

It's now a few weeks before trip #29 and although I don't really post, as I've said, it's still been a staple part of the months leading up to any away game.

Will definitely be missed.

I echo all these positive sentiments. I didn't post often, but I always used it as my reference points : a wonderful, easy-to-find information centre that no other social media platform can replicate. Disappointed but grateful for what it has contributed over the years.

17 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Good to see folk that have not posted in ages, folk that hardly ever post, and others who feel themselves outwith the clique :unsure: posting today.   Feel the luuve.

Am sure plenty come on here myself included reading but not posting

Guest BlueGaz
9 minutes ago, albathebrave said:

Think we need a poll to find out how many will chip in to save this site, it deserves saving!

I agree.  Although we are now aware of the £300 figure, I'm not sure what all the costs are to add up to that figure.  But one of the better free board softwares can handle the traffic on this board nowadays.  And a cloud based host required to handle it all, is a fraction £300.  I have a host account and i was messing about with a board last night, installed it on a subdomain to play with it.  I chatted with my host account support today and they had a look at this site and although i thought my account could handle it, it actually wouldn't.  Having said that, it is not expensive at all to have a server which could handle it.  As I said, a fraction of £300 a month.  The rest is time from those that will technically admin it and police it.  

Can see if mods/admin are tired and don't fancy it, but if there's enough demand like this thread seems to show - why not as suggested, run a more basic version of the TAMB with just 3/4 sections rather than dozen or more we have here.

National Team - everything about the team in there. Home/away, travel, etc.

Sports - domestic football plus any other sports

Anything Goes - the way it is but plus travel too.

I joined around 2006 and it was an excellent forum from a Scotland fan's perspective. Info regarding tickets/away games/travel was great along with useful "in-the-know" stuff about the national team such as upcoming friendlies.

The internet has since evolved and social media has grown. It's easier to get info nowadays and websites like Skyscanner have come on the scene.

A lot of the regular posters have left since then and the place has felt different.  In recent years it felt like your opinion didn't count for much unless you were a regular with thousands of posts and some regular posters drained out a lot of debate.

It's a shame to lose a forum discussing all things relating to the national team and the Tartan Army but for me it's not been the same for a wee while.

Its been hugely useful for tickets and travel for away games. Even the last game v Lithuania i was completely stuck for getting tickets for my mates through the lithuanian ticketmaster until someone advised about using a vpn. I do think a basic version with even just a home and away games section would be really helpful.