Lithuania v Scotland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lithuania v Scotland

exile

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Poor performances led by a poor manager who has cost us another tournament 

This negativity sums up TAMB at the moment. Win last 3 games and early part of campaign won't matter.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Langtonian said:

Excellent performance,especially the first half.First time ever be hoping for an England win against Slovakia..Anything other than that our chances are surely gone with Slovakia still having Malta to play

Can't see England loseing to Slovakia at home. Even a draw v England dosn't change the situation when Slovakia come to Hampden.They would be 2pts ahead of us instead of 1 if they lose.

Edited by Doric

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

IMO it was the Celtic influence tonight. 6 Celtic players (actually 7 when you consider WGS selected Phillips to take the role of Sinclair) playing their 4-2-3-1 high-pressing game. Worked well. 

Agree regarding the Celtic players except Forrest, again he gives the ball away constantly and runs into defenders. Ritchie or Fraser should have played instead.

49 minutes ago, Doric said:

This negativity sums up TAMB at the moment. Win last 3 games and early part of campaign won't matter.

Can you blame people for being negative? It's not as if we ever win four in a row is it? 

Also, the performances were very poor, if we'd beaten Lithuania like we should be doing we would have had this campaign in our hands.

last night was a great performance, Strachan was right when he said teams don't dominate Lithuania like that too often. However that was our only really good performance of this campaign, yo need much more than that to qualify for tournaments or playoff spots.

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Great win.

Robertson excellent & Phillips shut some folk up tonight anyway.

John McGinn is way off the level of any of the Aberdeen CM's not selected & Callum McGregor.

Agree with this, McGinns selection is baffling. There are better options out there.

i support abderdeen therefore I'd live to see us provide some players for Scotland. Until now I had no argument for any of them but the inclusion of mcginn gives dons fans a valid argument. The cynic in me thinks it's because of the bitterness Strachan and McGhee have towards Aberdeen, especially McGhee. It's mind boggling how that guy is involved in the Scotland set up, he's miserable, negative, bitter and useless as a coach. 

McGregor should have been called up and arguably should have started but Strachan is far too loyal, look how long it took him to start playing Leigh Griffiths. 

10 hours ago, Langtonian said:

Think the pisser is,why is it until we get to a stage where we need to win games that we play a more pressing,attacking game?

I think that is down to personnel though. In the last few games the side have a more dynamic, energetic look what with pacy players like Tierney and Robertson and Griffiths who press now regulars along with the young Armstrong. 

38 minutes ago, Marky said:

I'm not sure last nights Slovakia result really matters that much.

Isn't it the case that we'd probably have to win our last 4 games anyway to avoid being the worst second placed team?

Probably, but we got a couple of good results, on that front, in Group H on Thursday. Greece drew with Estonia and Bosnia lost to Cyprus. Greece have still to play Belgium and Gibraltar. Lets assume they get 3 points from those two. It would then come down to a tricky away derby against Cyprus. Bosnia have also still to play Belgium and Gibraltar. So, again, I'm giving them 3 points out of those two. Then, for them it comes down to a tricky away game to Estonia. The 2nd place team in that group could finish on 17 points. 

But I think we will need another 9 points to get 2nd anyway. We are too many goals behind Slovakia to catch up on goal difference.

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Isn't it the case that we'd probably have to win our last 4 games anyway to avoid being the worst second placed team?

I think you're right. After some reflection my grump from last night was premature. 

I'm back to being happy again. ? 

6 hours ago, Marky said:

That result might not make a lot of difference for us but it could make a huge difference for Slovakia. They now have two goes at securing a playoff spot. If they beat England they will be 2nd at worst (might even go on to win the group). If they don't manage to do that then they get another go when they come to Hampden. At Hampden they will only need a draw to virtually secure a play off spot because we all know they will beat Malta in the lat game. 

11 minutes ago, gazfaebolton said:

Excellent performance and much improved,Is it just me but the lack of passion shown by several players when the national anthem is being sung. pisses me off' Bring on Malta I will be belting out FOS just wish players would to. 

You don't win matches by singing songs. It's not the Eurovision song contest.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

You don't win matches by singing songs. It's not the Eurovision song contest.

No. But take a look at the Italians or South American teams for example and tell me that's not inspiring to watch.  Half our lot are looking around ignoring it basically. Personally I think it should only be sung at competitive games but even at those our team seem embarrassed to be stood there.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye let's drop Tierney, Robertson, Brown etc and replace them with singers....

Bit extreme. I'd suggest we employ a singing coach and dedicate half the training to hitting those high notes. Mandatory watching of Braveheart before each game would also help.