2nd Place - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

Could likely be whoever is second in the Belgium group who misses out. Bosnia currently second with essentially 8 points ( -6 from Gibraltar ). Compare that to our group as it stands, Slovakia on 12 points ( -3 from Malta ). We win our games and we are in the play offs. Just have to win them now.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

France drew 0-0 with Luxembourg. People taking Malta lightly need a wake up call

Yes and malta probably better than Luxembourg

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

And us not as good as France 

Got me worried noo. Surely we can't slip up  !!!!!!!

Edited by Doric

7 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

France drew 0-0 with Luxembourg. People taking Malta lightly need a wake up call

We should win comfortably though. Should is a big word right enough and anything is possible but if we can't beat Malta tomorrow, when it really matters, then we don't deserve a playoff. 

10 minutes ago, fringo said:

According to FIFA - Malta 190 , Lux 136

Bit of a shock from France though.

Luxembourg are a better team, though capable of drawing 0-0 with France or losing 5-0 to a very poor Holland.

We could lose this game or we could win 5-0.  It's not a sure thing, but failing to win would be up there with the worst results in our history.

Edited by norsefox

1 hour ago, Doric said:

Lets hope the scenario after tomorrow takes us into the Slovakia game at Hampden as a cup final type game. Probably biggest game since the Italy game.

Holland 2009, Czech Rep 2011, Poland 2015?

The biggest game since the Italy game will be the 2nd leg of the play off if we get to one...

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

We should win comfortably though. Should is a big word right enough and anything is possible but if we can't beat Malta tomorrow, when it really matters, then we don't deserve a playoff. 

That hits the nail on the head for me. If we don't win tomorrow then we don't deserve to qualify. If we get a goal in the first quarter of the match we should win comfortable enough. If not it could be a long, nervous night.

15 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

So we need to try and batter Malta and win by a cricket score in case we beat Slovakia then draw in Slovenia. That said, we'll all take going to Slovenia knowing that a win ensures second place in the group. It's possible we can do it.

Yes and with a bit of luck England will take a few off Slovakia and make the goal swing even higher. They're 7 goals better off at the moment so a 6-0 for us and 2-0 England would be nice 

32 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Yes and with a bit of luck England will take a few off Slovakia and make the goal swing even higher. They're 7 goals better off at the moment so a 6-0 for us and 2-0 England would be nice 

Assuming we also beat Slovakia (by a minimum of one), we'd be +4 over them.  Don't honestly think it would be enough.

I'd sign up for it right now though.

Edited by norsefox

Goal difference will not matter. 

The only situation where it could matter is if we finish jointly on 18 points with Slovakia, and if that is the case, 18 points (12 excluding Malta) will almost certainly be the lowest points total of all the second place teams, and hence will make no difference. 

8 hours ago, macy37 said:

For us to win our last 4 games would be a miracle and totally against any of our form over the last number of years.

It is not going to happen so stop wasting time working out the scenarios.

I agree with this.

It's not an impossible task but it's really unlikely that Scotland will win four competitive matches in a row and anyone expecting anything else is setting themselves up for a Georgia-like disappointment. 

I'll be watching in hope along with everyone else but i'm not raising my expectations. 

8 hours ago, dezmondo said:

Goal difference will not matter. 

The only situation where it could matter is if we finish jointly on 18 points with Slovakia, and if that is the case, 18 points (12 excluding Malta) will almost certainly be the lowest points total of all the second place teams, and hence will make no difference. 

I predict that Greece or Bosnia will be the team to miss out as the worst 2nd place team. It will come down to whether Greece can win their local derby game away to Cyprus. But we will know the result of that match before we kick off in Slovenia. Belgium will beat Bosnia .....................hopefully.

5 hours ago, fraz65 said:

I agree with this.

It's not an impossible task but it's really unlikely that Scotland will win four competitive matches in a row and anyone expecting anything else is setting themselves up for a Georgia-like disappointment. 

I'll be watching in hope along with everyone else but i'm not raising my expectations. 

It's only 3 games now. I've already booked flights to Russia. 

I am delighted with this late, mini-revival.  We have now gone unbeaten for three games and are hoping to win the next three. So, out of six games, is it possible Scotland could win five? If we do, the play offs will be rightly deserved.  However, when was the last time a Scotland team went six games in a row unbeaten (and won five). It would be a fantastic achievement considering how shite we were a year ago......

29 minutes ago, Boboblanko said:

I am delighted with this late, mini-revival.  We have now gone unbeaten for three games and are hoping to win the next three. So, out of six games, is it possible Scotland could win five? If we do, the play offs will be rightly deserved.  However, when was the last time a Scotland team went six games in a row unbeaten (and won five). It would be a fantastic achievement considering how shite we were a year ago......

Well we are now composed of the backbone of a very good Celtic team topped up with some good EPL players (centre halves aside), and have our best attacking full backs since at least the early 70s.

Finland beating Iceland at the weekend opened up a interesting scenario in Group I.

After Ukraine beat Turkey (in a rather convincing performance) and given their run of games, good chance they will finish in the top 2 of their group...... this is where the cat could be set among the pigeons, as their have been talks at various levels in Ukraine (though nothing direct from the FFU, and those who have been asked have gave rather conflicting answers) that they should boycott the finals in Russia as a result of the current war situation......

The general consensus in Ukraine was just play the games and cross that bridge when they came to it, and with a rather poor'ish start to their campaign the question was completely dropped, only to find itself back on the table again pretty late in the day.

This could really hot things up should they get into the play off's, as FIFA would have to decide to the go with the team who finish 3rd in Group I or do away with the worst runner up spot.