2nd Place - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

8 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Thanks pal! 

For what it's worth I wouldn't take either option as I think we have every chance of winning each of the next 4 games.

The reason I asked the question is because there's so many Scotland fans talking down our chances, I was interested to see how deep their pessimism ran.

Fair enough but I'm sure even as pessimistic as they are, they'd still rather take the see how it goes option which has potential qualification with it. 

At best Scotland will win 3 games and draw the other one (most likely Slovenia away) IMO. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slovenia are not a high scoring team, they have only scored 6 goals so far.

Come Monday night lads we will be 1 point behind Slovakia and we play them next at home, lets be positive.

We go into the home game v Slovakia.  That game is the exact definition of must win. 

The barring fluke dropped points for them v Malta, we will go into the last game needing to win and we can do that.  

Slovakia winning is hammer blow for Scotland imo. Any other result from that game would've been fine.

Apart from Scotland needing to beat Slovakia at home, they're as well go for it against Slovenia and press them high up the pitch. Nothing to lose as Slovakia will beat Malta at home. 

Quality finish from Robertson tonight. :spin:

Great win tonight, still not thinking about 2nd place/playoffs etc ; but if we can somehow beat Malta, 1-0 will do and England beat Slovakia, it's a point between us with the Slovaks to come to Hampden.

Mon Scotland! Let's not out do all that good work tonight by failing to beat Malta on Monday ; and England - this may well be the only game I want you to win, please don't feck this up either ;)

17 minutes ago, irish said:

Slovakia winning is hammer blow for Scotland imo. Any other result from that game would've been fine.

Apart from Scotland needing to beat Slovakia at home, they're as well go for it against Slovenia and press them high up the pitch. Nothing to lose as Slovakia will beat Malta at home. 

Quality finish from Robertson tonight. :spin:

Unfortunately it looks like you`re right  If we beat Malta and Slovakia we`ll still have to win in Slovenia. Asking a lot to have 2 big wins in 4 days. At least Slovenia will probably be out by time we play them.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What happens if Slovakia win or draw against England, which is by no way out of the question?

Actually nothing if they draw other than changes their mental state really.  A flukey win for Slovakia and then I think its all over unfortunately.  Our objectives are the same, in fact I am trying to work out if the only not must win game for us is against Malta.  I think if we end up on the same points, we would need to have beaten Slovakia by 4 goals.  

Allot of lessons here for the squad and manager, even if you lose do not lose big for the heads and heads and you really need to be up for every single game, you can only afford potentially one mistake MAYBE 2. 

Edited by romanticscot

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

How does this come into play with other second placed teams?

If we won all 3 and finished on 20 points I's be amazed if we didnt get a playoff with the remaining 14 points. Montegro still on 7 points with 3 to play. The Wales/ROI group could be interesting if they all continue to cut each others throatd

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

How does this come into play with other second placed teams?

Slovakia are currently sitting 2nd place in the play off picture, with only 3 points between the first top 8 2nd place teams, if we imagine we were 2nd with our same point tally it puts us still in a healthy position of not being the 9th best 2nd place team. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Second_round

Here also are the rules governing tie breakers to determine who would be on top. 

1. Points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss)
  2. Goal difference
  3. Goals scored
  4. Points in matches between tied teams
  5. Goal difference in matches between tied teams
  6. Goals scored in matches between tied teams
  7. Away goals scored in matches between tied teams (if the tie is only between two teams in home-and-away league format)
  8. Fair play points
    • first yellow card: minus 1 point
    • indirect red card (second yellow card): minus 3 points
    • direct red card: minus 4 points
    • yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points
  9. Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee
Edited by romanticscot

its pretty unlikely we will finish second. bang a few more in against malta and we go in with a bit of momentum against slovakia and you never know....

but we havent show the consistency recently to string 4-5 results together. knowing us we'd tank the slovaks and f@%k it up against slovenia.

I did some quick looking, EURO 96 running into France 98 qualification had us on a 7 match unbeaten run.Ended on a  2-1 loss away to Sweden.  9 1/2 months. Correction to my earlier post, we are on a 4 match unbeaten run, forgot the 1-1 draw v Canada. 17 points in 7 games.  

18 June 1996 Villa Park, Birmingham (N) 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 1–0 Euro 1996 Ally McCoist 34,926 [5]
31 August 1996 Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna (A) 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria 0–0 World Cup qualification   29,500 [5]
5 October 1996 Stadionas Daugava, Riga (A) 23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png Latvia 2–0 World Cup qualification John Collins, Darren Jackson 9,500 [5]
10 November 1996 Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 1–0 World Cup qualification John McGinlay 46,738 [5]
11 February 1997 Stade Louis II, Monaco (N)[note 1] 23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png Estonia 0–0 World Cup qualification   3,766 [5]
29 March 1997 Rugby Park, Kilmarnock (H) 23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png Estonia 2–0 World Cup qualification Tom Boyd, Own goal 17,996 [5]
2 April 1997 Celtic Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria 2–0 World Cup qualification Kevin Gallacher (2) 43,295 [5]

Some other stats for you, Slovenia have never beaten us........we also have never beaten Slovakia. 

Edited by romanticscot

Actually the GD could yet be retrievable....bit of a long shot but say a 4 nil win on Monday (I know but did score a few goals in Malta) and Slovaks lose by 3 at Wembley (not impossible as England keep plenty of clean sheets at Wembley) and it's level. Then beat them by 2-0 at Hampden and it's suddenly a +4 advantage going into the last game but you get the feeling they'd beat Malta by a few so still risky to play for a draw last game.

Just shows you bar some bonkers scorelines 7 points isn't going to be enough.

27 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Actually the GD could yet be retrievable....bit of a long shot but say a 4 nil win on Monday (I know but did score a few goals in Malta) and Slovaks lose by 3 at Wembley (not impossible as England keep plenty of clean sheets at Wembley) and it's level. Then beat them by 2-0 at Hampden and it's suddenly a +4 advantage going into the last game but you get the feeling they'd beat Malta by a few so still risky to play for a draw last game.

Just shows you bar some bonkers scorelines 7 points isn't going to be enough.

We need to treat GD as irrelevant now - unless we can get a 7+ goal swing AND Slovakia lose to england.

We're on 11 points and Slovakia are on 15. Assuming we beat Malta and Slovakia don't beat England (as no one has done since 2000) we'll be on 14 points v Slovakia's 15 or 16.

Given Slovakia's last game is v Malta, we have to beat them to overtake. Takes us to 17 v their 15/16.

Sure we could draw against Slovenia and we'd both tie on 18, but we'd end up third (short of a huge swing in GD) and Slovakia would end up out as the worst placed second team.

If we want to make the playoffs, we need to win all 3. Nothing else now matters

Edited by norsefox

10 hours ago, wanderer said:

Its based on UEFA Co-efficient, which is not really the same as the FIFA World Rankings.

We are pretty locked into our spot, so will be in division C.

As said previously, at the moment it looks like this,

Pot 1 – Slovenia, Romania, Denmark, Albania

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 3 – Serbia, Bulgaria, Norway, Cyprus

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Finland, Belarus

Compared to this a couple of months earlier,

Pot 1 – Romania, Denmark, Greece, Slovenia

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 3 – Israel, Norway, Bulgaria, Cyprus

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Estonia, Finland

Is that based on this: https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html ?

If so, does that mean, based on that ranking of 23rd we'd be in League B, pot D, for the draw?

Talking about goal difference, I thought the last ten minutes of the match were so frustrating. The amount of times we had opportunities to go forward but instead played it back into defence was annoying. It seemed as if they were content with three but when we have a deficit of several goals behind Slovakia why were we not busting a gut to get more? 

9 hours ago, SteveHFC said:

Just need to win on Monday, Slovakia to lose to england and for us to beat Slovakia next month to be 2nd going into the last game. 

Or even England Slovakia draw doesn't affect things as long as Slovakia don't win on Monday