Team v Lithuania - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v Lithuania

slasher

22 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Archer

Martin  Berra  Mulgrew  Tierney

M. Phillips   Armstrong Brown  Ritchie

Naismith      Griffiths

Needs to be as much pace and power to unsettle Lithuania rather than just sterile pedestrian football hence why I put Naismith and Phillips in.

Thats plenty

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

With Cairney pulling out (I suspected he was just slight favorite to start in Morrisons place) I think chances are high that it will actually be Bannan that starts in Vilnius.

Suspect Strachans team will resemble something like this,

................Gordon

Tierney, Berra, Mulgrew, Roberston (while Hearts have not had a fantastic start to the season, I can see Strachan trying to slot Berra in ahead of Martin and Hanley)

..........Brown, Armstrong

.....Forrest, Bannan, Snodgrass (just not convinced that Strachan will drop Snodgrass, and as said, got a feeling Bannan is slight favorite to start in this game)

................Griffiths

You might be right here, although I think he will play Ritchie over Snoddy.

17 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

You might be right here, although I think he will play Ritchie over Snoddy.

If Ritchie was to play, I think it would be over Forrest, as I think Strachan prefers to play one over the other from those two (can not think of to many games they have started together).

Nothing will be decided for us this window unless we decide it for ourselves.  6 points for us and only Slovakia matching that would really put them out of reach (presuming they pick up at least three points from their final two games against ourselves and Malta, or even just a point against us).

A draw between the Slov teams would be the best for us, but a Slovakia win wouldn't be the end of the world.  We'd then need England to beat them at Wembley, at which point (hopefully) we have six points from our two games.  I think we will get those two wins, but I also think Slovakia will beat Slovenia and the latter will beat Lithuania while England labour to a tedious 1-0 win at Wembley against Slovakia.  In that case we'll be a point behind Slovakia in 3rd, level on points with Slovenia.  

If that happens, we go into the final games with a good chance of 2nd, even if that doesn't get us a playoff spot.

Scotland: Slovakia (H), Slovenia (A)
Slovakia: Scotland (A), Malta (H)
Slovenia: England (A), Scotland (H)

Loads of ifs, and could all be a moot point on Saturday morning, but still.  Bottom line, we need to be absolutely scudding Malta next Monday to try and improve our goal difference, then win at least our next 3 games.  Looks like there's a few situations it could come down to goal difference.

EDIT: The predictor I'm using is here - always a good source of hope before the failure.

4 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Nothing will be decided for us this window unless we decide it for ourselves.  6 points for us and only Slovakia matching that would really put them out of reach (presuming they pick up at least three points from their final two games against ourselves and Malta, or even just a point against us).

A draw between the Slov teams would be the best for us, but a Slovakia win wouldn't be the end of the world.  We'd then need England to beat them at Wembley, at which point (hopefully) we have six points from our two games.  I think we will get those two wins, but I also think Slovakia will beat Slovenia and the latter will beat Lithuania while England labour to a tedious 1-0 win at Wembley against Slovakia.  In that case we'll be a point behind Slovakia in 3rd, level on points with Slovenia.  

If that happens, we go into the final games with a good chance of 2nd, even if that doesn't get us a playoff spot.

Loads of ifs, and could all be a moot point on Saturday morning, but still.  Bottom line, we need to be absolutely scudding Malta next Monday to try and improve our goal difference, then win at least our next 3 games.  Looks like there's a few situations it could come down to goal difference.

EDIT: The predictor I'm using is here - always a good source of hope before the failure.

We need to get the six points, not expecting any ground to be made up really until the third game.  Get our 6 points and we have every chance.  One day at a time. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

We need to get the six points, not expecting any ground to be made up really until the third game.  Get our 6 points and we have every chance.  One day at a time. 

Exactly we need win two games first....then pick up other results...which I think we can

36 minutes ago, scotsgary2 said:

Exactly we need win two games first....then pick up other results...which I think we can

If we get our six points, we have two games with immense pressure on the boys and how many of our squad to we have who have won anything - I sure hope we don't crack.  This is where the likes of Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown need to really shine.  Long are the days when we have at least 4 or 5 leaders on the pitch.  Steven Naismith is a strong personality but his better days on the pitch are over but late in a game he could be a decent substitution.  

In spite of better judgement from past experience I am very positive.  I live in the US now and have taken the days off work so I can watch the games live.  Against the English I had a dozen Texas all cheering like regular's, when those two goals went in it was amazing.  

44 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

In spite of better judgement from past experience I am very positive.  I live in the US now and have taken the days off work so I can watch the games live.  Against the English I had a dozen Texas all cheering like regular's, when those two goals went in it was amazing.  

:lol::ok::ok:

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Indeed, come Monday evening, things will look even clearer We have 4 points to make up over Slovakia. On Monday I will be cheering on the English and Lithuania.  

Hoping for an England goal is going to be a different feeling...

I'd be happy if we didn't play them for another 20 years mind.

On 27/08/2017 at 10:54 PM, norsefox said:

Chosen for his goalscoring prowess?

No chosen for his ability to keep the ball primarily and create a chance.  We are a limited team, set up accordingly.  5-3-2, 5-4-1 or 5-3-1-1 would be my formation of choice.  I think brown has us playing effectively punching above our weight. 

12 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

I just noticed that predictor site, oh what fun, I have us finishing on 18 points with Slovakia and Slovenia ending on 16.  Actually I did it another way, bloomin 3-0 loss to Slovakia that is going to hurt us big time for head to heads. I am hoping for a draw now in the Slovakia v Slovenia game.

Edited by romanticscot

7 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I just noticed that predictor site, oh what fun, I have us finishing on 18 points with Slovakia and Slovenia ending on 16.  Actually I did it another way, bloomin 3-0 loss to Slovakia that is going to hurt us big time for head to heads. I am hoping for a draw now in the Slovakia v Slovenia game.

:lol:

8 hours ago, romanticscot said:

The more i try the variations on the predictor site, I have us finishing 3rd behind Slovakia :mellow:

30 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Slovakia will beat Slovenia. 

Slovenia beat them in Ljubljana earlier in the campaign, but I expect Slovakia will get the home win, then hopefully England beat them at Wembley to peg them back going into the final 2 games.

This time next week I am hopeful that we will be in 14 points, joint with Slovakia (with goal difference splitting us.... I think there is only 4 goals in it, so hopefully 2 comfortable wins for us will see us cancel that out a bit) and Slovakia on 15.

Just goes to show how much that lackluster performance against Lithuania at Hampden has cost us <_< 

23 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

good post

I have us missing out on goal difference after completing that link

6 points will do morale good going into the last 2 games but I think it's now a very big ask to make the playoffs. That said, surely we're due a bit of luck / our share of dubious decisions to swing a couple of results.

Here's hoping.