After Diner Speakers - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

After Diner Speakers

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Avoid Frank McAvennie, unless you want to hear hilarious stories about Justin Fashanu :rolleyes: 

Seen him and Goram together and they were excellent.

Scott Glynn has bells paulsy now so not sure if he's performing as it happened just a few weeks ago. Rowbotham was good as was Golfer Alan Tait. This year I'm going to see Keith Gillespie so no idea what he'll be like along with lions doctor James Robson who is good apparently and a comedian Bruce Fumney?

57 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Excellent? The guy is an absolute khvnt. Half his routine was making fun of Justin Fashanu. 

Have to say I thought John Gaghan was awful... Admittedly it was a good few years ago I seen him, but I thought the whole point of booking an ex-footballer was to get football related anecdotes... His "act" was a very generic "stand up comedy" type act with barely a mention of football

32 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Peter Martin is excellent, Gordon Smith on the other hand........

I think Peter Martin is very mixed..... he was ok, but was clear that he was chocolate he would eat himself as he just came across as a bad game show host who kept losing the audience, and would pull out a Roughie or Super Ally story to try get the crowd back in.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Scott Glynn has bells paulsy now so not sure if he's performing as it happened just a few weeks ago. Rowbotham was good as was Golfer Alan Tait. This year I'm going to see Keith Gillespie so no idea what he'll be like along with lions doctor James Robson who is good apparently and a comedian Bruce Fumney?

Bruce Fummey did the Sunshine Appeals Burns night in January and he was very good. 

1 hour ago, Robbo `81 said:

Have to say I thought John Gaghan was awful... Admittedly it was a good few years ago I seen him, but I thought the whole point of booking an ex-footballer was to get football related anecdotes... His "act" was a very generic "stand up comedy" type act with barely a mention of football

I take your point, but you must be the only person I've ever heard say they didn't like his act.

To be fair most after dinner speakers are telling jokes you've heard before, but tell them well. Tam Cowan does that really well (he's good, even if you're not a fan, after dinner speaking suits his style of humour I think).

Chic Charnley was ok, possibly as a budget option or for the undercard.

:lol:

Saw Bruce Fumey at a WESTA burns supper and he was very good.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I take your point, but you must be the only person I've ever heard say they didn't like his act.

TBF To him, when though about it I realised it was 2002 or 2003 I seen him, so had plenty time to refine his act so probably lot different now...

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Excellent? The guy is an absolute khvnt. Half his routine was making fun of Justin Fashanu. 

I've seen McAvennie as part of a double act with Goram, he was very much a filler before the main event, but don't remember him doing anything about Fashanu.

I have to reluctantly admit Goram was better than I expected, but he's not the most likeable of characters. He wasn't happy when I told him I preferred Stevie Kirk to Davie Cooper.

:shocked:

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I've seen McAvennie as part of a double act with Goram, he was very much a filler before the main event, but don't remember him doing anything about Fashanu.

I saw him twice in 3 weeks and he done the same absolute khvnt act both times. 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I think Peter Martin is very mixed..... he was ok, but was clear that he was chocolate he would eat himself as he just came across as a bad game show host who kept losing the audience, and would pull out a Roughie or Super Ally story to try get the crowd back in.

He was doing the compering/auctioneer when I saw him and was really good at that, no real anecdotes just ripping the pish out of the punters and the prizes. To be honest when I went in I didn't know who he was.

6 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

What did you expect?

Someone not to make "funny" jokes about a guy who killed himself, in part, due to folk not accepting him due to his sexuality, being gay. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I saw him twice in 3 weeks and he done the same absolute khvnt act both times. 

His act wasn't particularly memorable to be honest, I think the heckles from Goram were better than anything he came up with himself.