Squad Announcement - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcement

jamboman

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

An absolute stand out on Wednesday for Newcastle.

Stand out horrendous. Mate said his eyes were aching after watching 2 hours of him.

I can totally understand that. A lamp post would be a more effective defender. 

He has no redeeming features as a footballer. And yet he's got 27 caps. Any Scottish born centre half playing professional football would be as good if not better. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I can't agree on Bannan. He's had 24 caps yet not once has he made either a telling or important contribution. He consistently looks out of his depth at international level and basically isn't up to it. 

I thought he had a really good debut against Lithuania and performed well against Germany away. There was one other game where he kept playing some great balls for Anya to get in behind the defence but I can't remember who it was against. I fully agree with you on the other 21 caps.

At 27 years old now and that many caps you would be hoping for a few more performances than going back 3 years since last good one. Maybe just deserves a place in the squad based on club form but only just and quite a distance from starting 11 at the moment unless a friendly or a major injury crisis.

27 minutes ago, drew said:

I thought he had a really good debut against Lithuania and performed well against Germany away. There was one other game where he kept playing some great balls for Anya to get in behind the defence but I can't remember who it was against. I fully agree with you on the other 21 caps.

At 27 years old now and that many caps you would be hoping for a few more performances than going back 3 years since last good one. Maybe just deserves a place in the squad based on club form but only just and quite a distance from starting 11 at the moment unless a friendly or a major injury crisis.

He setup the goal for Naismith in the 1-0 win against Lithuania at Hampden.  His debut was also against the Faroes at Pittodrie, and he had a good game.

He's a talented footballer, but lacks purpose in our side.  I don't see an issue with him being a squad player.

11 minutes ago, norsefox said:

He setup the goal for Naismith in the 1-0 win against Lithuania at Hampden.  His debut was also against the Faroes at Pittodrie, and he had a good game.

He's a talented footballer, but lacks purpose in our side.  I don't see an issue with him being a squad player.

Why did I think his debut was against Lithuania when he had games before that game? Must have been his first competitive match? Anyway I thought he was the man of the match that night against Lithuania.

Edited by drew

14 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Bannan, Martin and S Fletcher are all wastes of a jersey. People keep saying Bannan is playing well for his club but he's been doing great before and every time is invisible for Scotland. He's just not good enough.

Martin is a cart horse and Fletcher is just a piss poor striker. 

Bannan has been excellent so far this season. Without question merits his call up who I wouldn't expect him to start given Armstrong's performances in his previous caps. The common problem for Bannan is one of role and position. Because he can hit a pass, managers tend to push him back down the field, him ending up as a defensive mid looking to hit long diagonals to wingers. Sort of the same as happened to Charlie Adam. Both players are actually at their best in an attacking midfield role, in Bannan's case he can use his low center of gravity to nip past people, accelerating quickly and slipping balls thru gaps. That's how he's been used recently and he looks a totally different player because of it. If we do use him, then hopefully it's in that role, rather than a deep sitting mid, where he easily gets lost.

Martin is questionable, but fair play for his goal to get 3 points against Slovenia. I don't begrudge him his place due to that.

Fletcher is not 100% fit, but is scoring goals. 2 in 4 this season (one of those 4 was a 3min sub appearance), and finished last season scoring 5 in 7. So while i'd expect Griffiths to play, Fletch is certainly in form as well.

Overall, i think it's a perfectly fine squad. Whittaker is obviously the only right back cover we could find. Darren Fletcher's playing days for us seem to be mostly over, but he's there for his leadership. Imo you take Snodgrass despite him not playing, just to try and give him a lift. Naismith's probably the most questionable for me. Still a decent player, but I'd probably give someone like McBurnie a taster, 20 mins against Malta or something.

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Not sure what your point is. He is rank rotten. He scored against Malta and Gibraltar . Id have expected to score against them. 

His only real contribution was the goal against Slovenia. 1 contribution in 12 caps? 

Replace him with Griffiths in those games and we score more goals. 

The point is simple - this campaign we have scored more goals with Martin on the park than without him. That's a fact and should be easy for anybody to understand.

Apart from his goal v Slovenia, he scored v Malta, and won the free kick for Lee's 2nd v that lot - that'll do for now cos can't be bothered going through every game.

Get off Chris Martin's back - WGS picked Leigh Griffiths for 12 internationals before he came up megatrumps in his 13th, and he ain't going anywhere soon as a result (rightly so).

It's going in the right direction right now with Chris Martin and Leigh Griffiths - so I'll trust WGS over you on this one.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The point is simple - this campaign we have scored more goals with Martin on the park than without him. That's a fact and should be easy for anybody to understand.

Apart from his goal v Slovenia, he scored v Malta, and won the free kick for Lee's 2nd v that lot - that'll do for now cos can't be bothered going through every game.

Get off Chris Martin's back - WGS picked Leigh Griffiths for 12 internationals before he came up megatrumps in his 13th, and he ain't going anywhere soon as a result (rightly so).

It's going in the right direction right now with Chris Martin and Leigh Griffiths - so I'll trust WGS over you on this one.

Thats the most bizarre justification I have seen for keeping a player in the squad...............he was on the park :lol:. Its easy to understand but in no way does it mean he is any good. 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats the most bizarre justification I have seen for keeping a player in the squad...............he was on the park :lol:. Its easy to understand but in no way does it mean he is any good. 

He ain't Johann Cruyff, agreed. Facts are facts though - and I'll trust WGS on this one, even though the wee bam is intent on ignoring Kris Doolan's impeccable credentials every time international week comes up.

;)

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

He ain't Johann Cruyff, agreed. Facts are fact though - and I'll trust WGS on this one, even though the wee bam is intent on ignoring Kris Doolan's impeccable credentials every time international week comes up.

;)

I don't trust WGS, he's failed so far and he's still failing. a last minute1-0 win against slovenia and a lucky draw against england doesn't change that. He's an arrogant tosser as is McGhee. The performances just aren't there, if they were I would be thinking we have a chance but we don't

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't trust WGS, he's failed so far and he's still failing. a last minute1-0 win against slovenia and a lucky draw against england doesn't change that. He's an arrogant tosser as is McGhee. The performances just aren't there, if they were I would be thinking we have a chance but we don't

Apart from the first sentence, there's nothing I would disagree with there. Which is why next Friday and Monday are key games for Strachan's tenure. Convincing performance and result in both (particularly Lithuania) and we could be within realistic reach of a play off place for the first time since Stevie Crawford (and you think Chris Martin is bad?).

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Bannan has been excellent so far this season. Without question merits his call up who I wouldn't expect him to start given Armstrong's performances in his previous caps. The common problem for Bannan is one of role and position. Because he can hit a pass, managers tend to push him back down the field, him ending up as a defensive mid looking to hit long diagonals to wingers. Sort of the same as happened to Charlie Adam. Both players are actually at their best in an attacking midfield role, in Bannan's case he can use his low center of gravity to nip past people, accelerating quickly and slipping balls thru gaps. That's how he's been used recently and he looks a totally different player because of it. If we do use him, then hopefully it's in that role, rather than a deep sitting mid, where he easily gets lost.

Martin is questionable, but fair play for his goal to get 3 points against Slovenia. I don't begrudge him his place due to that.

Fletcher is not 100% fit, but is scoring goals. 2 in 4 this season (one of those 4 was a 3min sub appearance), and finished last season scoring 5 in 7. So while i'd expect Griffiths to play, Fletch is certainly in form as well.

Overall, i think it's a perfectly fine squad. Whittaker is obviously the only right back cover we could find. Darren Fletcher's playing days for us seem to be mostly over, but he's there for his leadership. Imo you take Snodgrass despite him not playing, just to try and give him a lift. Naismith's probably the most questionable for me. Still a decent player, but I'd probably give someone like McBurnie a taster, 20 mins against Malta or something.

Excellent analysis.Although he is obviously my favourite player,i could easily live with Armstrong in good form playing instead of BB.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Excellent post.

To brand bannan as useless is mystifying, if you can't see he's a proper footballer then I don't know who your watching.  I don't think Martin should be selected but I would say that if he knocked in hat tricks every game. I would still be selecting Stevie fletcher also although we should definitely be looking for guys to be taking his place, just haven't seen one yet.  Not sure mcburnie has earned a call up yet though, don't think just being near a premiership squad is enough to be selected.

2 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Excellent post.

To brand bannan as useless is mystifying, if you can't see he's a proper footballer then I don't know who your watching.  I don't think Martin should be selected but I would say that if he knocked in hat tricks every game. I would still be selecting Stevie fletcher also although we should definitely be looking for guys to be taking his place, just haven't seen one yet.  Not sure mcburnie has earned a call up yet though, don't think just being near a premiership squad is enough to be selected.

I'm a Bannan fan too. Always plays with his head up and is the only player we have that looks to split defences with incisive passes. Always looking to create something rather than just pass it to his nearest team-mate like Brown.

35 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I'm a Bannan fan too. Always plays with his head up and is the only player we have that looks to split defences with incisive passes. Always looking to create something rather than just pass it to his nearest team-mate like Brown.

Pity he cant tackle like Brown, stay focused like Brown, or boss the middle of the park like Brown.

Does make some some nice passes though.

Disclaimer- I think Bannan is a great player just doesnt fit into current Scotlad set up

Edited by ceudmilefailte

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

He ain't Johann Cruyff, agreed. Facts are facts though - and I'll trust WGS on this one, even though the wee bam is intent on ignoring Kris Doolan's impeccable credentials every time international week comes up.

;)

"Facts are facts" - 'facts' say what you want them to say.  Griffiths has scored two goals against England.  Martin has scored against Malta, Gibraltar and Slovenia.

I'll also trust Strachan on this one.  Griffiths brings far more to the game than Martin does.  That said, bringing Martin on with 20 to go seems like a good tactic, which has won us points in the last few game.  I don't begrudge Martin his place, even if he was diabolical against Canada (though perhaps not as poor as Snodgrass).

Edited by norsefox

2 minutes ago, norsefox said:

"Facts are facts" - 'facts' say what you want them to say.  Griffiths has scored two goals against England.  Martin has scored against Malta, Gibraltar and Slovenia.

I'll also trust Strachan on this one.  Griffiths brings far more to the game than Martin does.  That said, bringing Martin on with 20 to go seems like a good tactic, which has won us points in the last few game.  I don't begrudge Martin his place, even if he was diabolical against Canada (though perhaps not as poor as Snodgrass).

Hey no problem - but your post seems to reinforce my opinion?

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Hey no problem - but your post seems to reinforce my opinion?

My issue was with 'facts'. You cherry picked a couple of dubious ones that I'd dispute as facts, but I'd largely agree with your sentiment otherwise.

Doolan's inclusion on the other hand... ?

I'm not a Chris Martin fan but he does look like he could be a useful foil for Griffiths. Perhaps he can come in for the last 20 Vs Lithuania if we have failed to take a lead by that point, and I'd expect them both to start Vs Malta.

Edited by Rude Gullit

21 hours ago, andyD said:

Bannan has been excellent so far this season. Without question merits his call up who I wouldn't expect him to start given Armstrong's performances in his previous caps. 

Martin's not starting at the moment, and looks rusty when he comes on. He needs someone close to him to play off, because he's not a target man. However, he will win free kicks. 

Anytime I've seen Bannon in the championship he looks a class apart. Been motm at Pride park the past 2 seasons. 

On 25/08/2017 at 4:35 PM, Barney Rubble said:

We've scored more goals this campaign with Craig Gordon on the park than with Chris Martin. It doesn't make him a better striker. Your point is ridiculous. 

Martin is piss poor and virtually any striker in the SPFL would have contributed more. Except Waghorn, as he's keech too. 

As for trusting Gordon Strachan? Not any more. The team has been in decline for the entire time he's been in charge. Performances are getting worse not better. His time is up.