Counterfeit Currency - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Counterfeit Currency

26 minutes ago, Flure said:

I would turn them in to the Police.

Sure as shit, someone, somewhere down the line is going to lose out. And it'll be someone who could least afford so to do.

The question was how would YOU use them, it was in response to a debate about this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4191201/Fake-euros-from-Post-Office-put-me-in-jail.html It doesn't seem like you would get some help from the police

I would imagine that every single one of us has done it at some point without even noticing it. There are a lot of forgeries about. It's one of the main reasons they changed the pound coins. The treatment he has received so far seems very excessive based on the limited information that is in that article. I would have thought that his legal fees would be covered by his insurance, if he had any?

This is only one side of the story and I'll be amazed if he was as reasonable as he was making out.

For example, if I was ever in that situation, the first thing I would do would be to offer some form of alternative payment.  I doubt any shopkeeper or restauranter would be straight onto the police.  I wonder if there was some form of argument that led to the police being called?

Then again it's really dodgy that the Post Office are just reselling currency without some form of checking.   However these days, the Post Office is more if a franchise operation and certainly not a "government department".

I find it quite strange seeing folk using pens, ultra vioely lights etc

its pretty easy to tell a forgery just by touch - too waxy, missing embossment - I cant say i ever seen a forgery and said thats a really good forgery (although maybe there were that good)

pound coins - spot the weight straight away, and even 1 count among a hundred, throws a weight scales out  

guess it would depend my mood, if i turned over fake money that had been given to me in change  

6 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

The question was how would YOU use them, it was in response to a debate about this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4191201/Fake-euros-from-Post-Office-put-me-in-jail.html It doesn't seem like you would get some help from the police

A fair bit of hard to believe stuff in that article. 5 x €200 (£180) notes!

I've lived in Germany umpteen years, have never seen one and couldn't tell you the colour without googling. Most places like petrol stations etc. have signs up saying that they don't accept €200 or €500 notes.

"Having already used some in local bars and restaurants, he was stopped from using one of the notes at his hotel."

He's in Greece with his wife and child. How much can you possibly spend in local bars & restaurants that you're onto your 3rd/4th €200 note?

My intro to fake £1 coins was at a works canteen. Got change back in the morning that I unwittingly tried to use later in the day on the same till. Within a second my coins were refused. She knows I know she did me :mad:

Turned out the canteen's machines were receptive though. Not me who found that out :unsure:

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I find it quite strange seeing folk using pens, ultra vioely lights etc

its pretty easy to tell a forgery just by touch - too waxy, missing embossment - I cant say i ever seen a forgery and said thats a really good forgery (although maybe there were that good)

pound coins - spot the weight straight away, and even 1 count among a hundred, throws a weight scales out  

guess it would depend my mood, if i turned over fake money that had been given to me in change  

Do you weigh the change you get back in a pub? Are you from Aberdeen?;)

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Do you weigh the change you get back in a pub? Are you from Aberdeen?;)

I worked in a bank for 11 years so comments were based on above

But yes, i know by the weight straight away when i get a duff coin, got bad habit of biting coin, to see if fake, due to coins being "soft"

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Most I got out of Amadeus was a handjob and a pack of soggy Lambert & Butler at a foam night. 

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

Funny, because all those years back if I was eccied oot mah nut, I had an awful habit of doing that screw the lightbulb rave dance at foam parties back then.... 

Are these 2 comments linked ?  :o

Guest MorayCupMan
22 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

Going to post office and just getting five two hundred euro notes...

This story reeks I can smell it from fleet street all the way up here...