This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 147 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

18 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

They might be in a mess but how many new players have they taken in this season, on wages way above Hibs and Aberdeen? They should be well clear in 2nd place. Aberdeen have beaten the teams we should and lost to the teams we should, we're the only team in the top half doing exactly what we should be doing.

Aye it’s bad when your own teams budget far and exceeds the teams finishing just around them.

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t like him, but he’s got Brendan’s number.

More people should call him out (Rodgers) on the utter shite he spouts.

"Got his number" 😂

That's why BR has managed Liverpool and Celtic and Harry Potter is at Hearts after giving me my worst era as a Scotland fan. At least now he can stick a few comments made in a interview on his CV of failure though.

Avrils response was merely a deflection after getting pumped again. Managers who risk injury to their own players and others by tampering with playing surfaces only show themselves up for the low rent, small time mentality they have imo. Ive no problem with someone making a pitch smaller but leaving longer grass or not watering astro grass as Hamilton did a few years ago risks injury and shouldn't be tolerated. Mind you, a cock like Levein would probably see it as collateral damage as long as he got a result. 😏

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

Avrils response was merely a deflection after getting pumped again. Managers who risk injury to their own players and others by tampering with playing surfaces only show themselves up for the low rent, small time mentality they have imo. Ive no problem with someone making a pitch smaller but leaving longer grass or not watering astro grass as Hamilton did a few years ago risks injury and shouldn't be tolerated. Mind you, a cock like Levein would probably see it as collateral damage as long as he got a result. 😏

There's no rules against these things therefore to whine about them because your massively expensive team failed to score and only hit the target once in 90 minutes is sour grapes at best. 

Brendan Rodgers gets treated like the Messiah by the media and when he talks shite none of them question him. 

This season has been a big step backwards by Celtic on results and performance but not a word in the media. 

It's almost like they're scared of him. 

This is not a criticism of Brendan. It's not his fault our sport reporters are idiots. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

There's no rules against these things therefore to whine about them because your massively expensive team failed to score and only hit the target once in 90 minutes is sour grapes at best. 

Brendan Rodgers gets treated like the Messiah by the media and when he talks shite none of them question him. 

This season has been a big step backwards by Celtic on results and performance but not a word in the media. 

It's almost like they're scared of him. 

This is not a criticism of Brendan. It's not his fault our sport reporters are idiots. 

Eh? We won 3-1 the other day bud 😊 As I recall after the 4-0 defeat Rodgers said Hearts were deserving of the win. 

I agree with you that we've gone back a bit in Europe this season and not made progress but how exactly do you improve on an unbeaten treble domestically? 

32 minutes ago, slasher said:

Eh? We won 3-1 the other day bud 😊 As I recall after the 4-0 defeat Rodgers said Hearts were deserving of the win. 

I agree with you that we've gone back a bit in Europe this season and not made progress but how exactly do you improve on an unbeaten treble domestically? 

Win every game?

48 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Win every game?

8 minutes ago, saintydave said:

Definitely not by finishing over 20 points worse off than the season before.

Aye right you are fellas. I doubt anyone will ever improve on what we did domestically last season. Recruitment has been a bit patchy this time and I would hope for a bit better in the summer. But other than that I think we're doing just fine thanks 👍

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

"Got his number" 😂

That's why BR has managed Liverpool and Celtic and Harry Potter is at Hearts after giving me my worst era as a Scotland fan. At least now he can stick a few comments made in a interview on his CV of failure though.

We agree on something yeeeh

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Aye got the Killie and Hearts games mixed up. 😀 Bloody senile. 😋

Why have results and performances regressed so much? 

Next season will be the teller. Sounds like a few ins and outs at Parkhead, so we'll see how the performances are with the new faces. 

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

Aye right you are fellas. I doubt anyone will ever improve on what we did domestically last season. Recruitment has been a bit patchy this time and I would hope for a bit better in the summer. But other than that I think we're doing just fine thanks 👍

Domestically you're right, there's no real issue. 

In Europe, despite Europa league football, the results and performances were awful. In my opinion you played far better in his first season. 

Not sure if there's a pattern with Brendan of tailing off after first couple of seasons but it's going to make for an interesting start to next season. 

As long as we don't waste money on Cummings! 🤨

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

"Got his number" 😂

:lol:

Fair point. Was meaning more on calling him out for talking shite, which nobody else seems willing to do.

31 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Aye got the Killie and Hearts games mixed up. 😀 Bloody senile. 😋

Why have results and performances regressed so much? 

Next season will be the teller. Sounds like a few ins and outs at Parkhead, so we'll see how the performances are with the new faces. 

Last season was exceptional so I don't think we've regressed that much but if you are looking for reasons......patchy recruitment, a lack of urgency in some games, a hefty injury list in the first half of the season (especially Griffiths and Roberts) , a general improvement in some of the other sides tactically and technically and a hefty programme of games just about covers it. 

It looks a bit like Celtic have coasted the season a bit. They’ve done more than enough to get by without hitting the heights of last season in results or performance.

There’s not been many times this season I’ve been really impressed with Celtic, whereas they were (I grudgingly concede) great to watch at times last year.

My hope is that they’ve been coasting for long enough that they can’t raise there game for the final.

Its hard to tell how good they were in the 2 Rangers games, as Rangers were so bad...

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It looks a bit like Celtic have coasted the season a bit. They’ve done more than enough to get by without hitting the heights of last season in results or performance.

There’s not been many times this season I’ve been really impressed with Celtic, whereas they were (I grudgingly concede) great to watch at times last year.

My hope is that they’ve been coasting for long enough that they can’t raise there game for the final.

Its hard to tell how good they were in the 2 Rangers games, as Rangers were so bad...

Motherwell are one of the teams who have consistently given us problems this season, along with Hibs and Killie. That should put paid to any complacency.... if we bring our best it'll be a humping 👍

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I keep having visions of Boyata and our keeper recreating that Craig Brewster goal from 1994, the last time a double treble was up for grabs.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Motherwell are one of the teams who have consistently given us problems this season, along with Hibs and Killie. That should put paid to any complacency.... if we bring our best it'll be a humping 👍

I can’t see it being like the 2011 final where McCall shat the bed as usual v Old firm and played Stevie Hammell in midfield. (To give some context, Hammell played over 500 games for Motherwell and 1 as a midfielder).

Robinson seems a bit less in awe and will try and play our own game.

I felt we were well in the game before the penalty and red card in LC final.

It also seems our style of play doesn’t suit Celtic as shown in games v us and Hibs.

We are due a break against Celtic, so hopefully get it a week on Saturday.

Just now, Scotland Ever More said:

I keep having visions of Boyata and our keeper recreating that Craig Brewster goal from 1994, the last time a double treble was up for grabs.

I see Gordon is a doubt, I was hoping he’d come charging out and Kung fu kick Curtis Main after 3 minutes and get sent off.

:lol:

Id settle for Kipre scoring a dodgy last minute penalty winner and then getting a second booking for his celebrations.

3 hours ago, theweestevie said:

Neil Lennon has apparently gone awol. He hasn't been seen by the squad since Wednesday night and is about an hour late for his press conference. Hopefully he's ok.

Joking and or rivalries and bigotry put aside. He suffers from mental illness and I sincerely hope he isn’t having an “incident”. The high pressure situations he is in surely can’t be a help with his illness. 

3 hours ago, theweestevie said:

Neil Lennon has apparently gone awol. He hasn't been seen by the squad since Wednesday night and is about an hour late for his press conference. Hopefully he's ok.

Would they not have had Thursday off? Not really a big surprise if his squad hasn't seen him if that's the case 

11 hours ago, slasher said:

. Managers who risk injury to their own players and others by tampering with playing surfaces only show themselves up for the low rent, small time mentality they have imo. 😏

Like Brian Clough? He fell asleep watering the pitch one time before a European match.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:39 AM, Scotland Ever More said:

"Got his number" 😂

Clarke deals with Rodgers pretty well IMO.

Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke has described Celtic counterpart Brendan Rodgers' comment about his team's tactics as "silly".

After Kilmarnock held Celtic to a 0-0 draw in Glasgow, Rodgers was quoted as saying: "It wouldn't matter if you put 11 firemen that deep on a pitch.

"It is always going to be very difficult and even more so when you have good players who are organised."

Clarke said his side played "the way that is best for us to get a result".

It was Kilmarnock's second draw at Celtic Park this season and Clarke's men also beat the champions at Rugby Park earlier in the campaign.

"If you look at the majority of what Brendan said, it was correct and proper - but that line wasn't really befitting of a Celtic manager," Clarke added.

"It wasn't so much disrespectful, it was just a silly line to use in what was quite an honest post-match analysis of the game.

"We don't have to go there and play the way Celtic want us to. We went there to play the way that is best for us to get a result. It's my job as a manager to set my players up in a way that gives us the best chance of getting a positive result and that's what we did."

"If you are the team with 73 per cent of the possession then it's what you do with it that counts and on the night Celtic didn't do enough," added Clarke.

"They only had one shot on target, which for that amount of possession I'd think would be disappointing for Brendan and his team.

"If he wants to insinuate that Celtic could not have broken down 11 amateur players, which is what he was insinuating, then I think he underestimates his own abilities as a coach and the ability of his players because I'm pretty sure Celtic would beat 11 firemen.

"I didn't see Brendan after the game, we didn't have the usual post-match chat so I don't know if he was frustrated or not after the results we've had against them this year.

"I don't think he should be too frustrated seeing as they have two trophies in the bag already and the chance to make it three next week."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked the wee dig about his comments not being befitting of a Celtic manager.  Rodgers still never beaten Clarke.