This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 126 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

30 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

There was a potential title winner in 2012 when Celtic came to Ibrox so no reason they couldn't do it this year as well.

I think the biggest complication this time around is that the rest of the top 6 have played at Ibrox twice already so 2 teams will need to go to Ibrox 3 times if they want to keep the same number of home/away games the same as far as possible.

As much as the idea of the split is to get meanginful games at the end of the season with teams ending the season playing the teams around them, I think a team that is fighting for survival playing a team fighting for the title or European spot would be an exciting prospect to watch.

Spot on, could not agree more. The split creates a kind of manufactured and contrived excitement by focusing on this myth that if teams fighting for the same thing play each other, this is somehow more exciting or intriguing than the bottom side playing Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers or Celtic on the last day, it's horseshit.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Time to get rid of the split IMO

The top six bottom six split doesn't add enough to the game to justify the mockery the SPFL make of announcing the post split fixtures. All of this is to make sure two teams don;t play each other on certain dates. 

MAnchester derby with potential title winner - ok

Glasgow derby with potential title winner - not ok because they don't trust the fans to behave themselves. If they did misbehave, here's a revolutionary idea - punish them!!

Yup but what it also does is make things easier for Rangers. They are not allowed to play Celtic until Celtic have won the league. Meaning someone else will have to play Celtic in a game they'll be desperate to win to clinch the title. 

I quite like the split

In a close P league title race, ( ok not had one for a while) the top two have to play the top six to win the title, 

the other method could result in one team with an easier run in....

This year whoever gets second will have earned it, as all the teams from 2-6th play each other in the run with no easy games against bottom teams..  No team plays a relegated team, no team plays a team with nowt to play for ( unless u count Hearts) , the race for second this year will be good...

Every year folk moan about it, i think its good.

Imagine how the EpL would be marketed if the last 6 games of the season were played between their top six to see who wins the title..

Aye, its nonsense that Celtic cannae win the title at Ibrox, but lets be honest, thats Scotlands fault , not footballs.

I can also see the flaws in a team having 1 more home game than others,   but like Mr Poke says its that or back to a ten team league at the moment. I can live with that. 

a 16 /18 top team league for me is the answer...

Sit back and wait for flak......

The last time this came up was pre split ( last game before) if memory serves me right.  There was no bother that day. 

I couldn't give two fucks myself if we have to. In fact, I'd gladly play them the 1st game and play all 5 games away from home. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Time to get rid of the split IMO

The top six bottom six split doesn't add enough to the game to justify the mockery the SPFL make of announcing the post split fixtures. All of this is to make sure two teams don;t play each other on certain dates. 

MAnchester derby with potential title winner - ok

Glasgow derby with potential title winner - not ok because they don't trust the fans to behave themselves. If they did misbehave, here's a revolutionary idea - punish them!!

And the whole while they tells us how much the game needs the Ranjurs.

1 hour ago, stocky said:

a 16 /18 top team league for me is the answer...

Sit back and wait for flak......

It is the answer but the clubs themselves are to blame for this mess. They are the ones who voted to introduce and retain the split as they want Rangers and Celtic to play them at home with the possibility of 4 games against them instead of only 2

The TV deal would be next to hee-haw as they Scottish football stops and starts with Celtic and Rangers in the eyes of the broadcasters, it’s all manufactured to suit the two big Glasgow clubs.

When was the last time Celtic or Rangers played away from home on a Saturday at 3oclock? It’s so they can televise one of them as each broadcaster can only show live coverage from the same ground 4/5 times a season I believe

Or how often do they televise live games from Ibrox and Parkhead unless it’s a derby. All to ensure their home attendances aren’t effected

The other ten clubs are complicit in this whole debacle as they agreed to this

Edited by DoonTheSlope

A 16 team league means a 30 game season instead of 38, so losing 4 home gates as well as old firm visits.

I don’t think the split itself is that bad, all the fannying about and inconsistencies around pleasing 2 of the 12 clubs makes a bit of a mockery of it though.

Edited by sbcmfc

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

No wonder, you seen your home form?

:lol:

Dropped 12 points from 16 away games and 22 points from 17 home games I think it is, or something like that.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It is the answer but the clubs themselves are to blame for this mess. They are the ones who voted to introduce and retain the split as they want Rangers and Celtic to play them at home with the possibility of 4 games against them instead of only 2

The TV deal would be next to hee-haw as they Scottish football stops and starts with Celtic and Rangers in the eyes of the broadcasters, it’s all manufactured to suit the two big Glasgow clubs.

When was the last time Celtic or Rangers played away from home on a Saturday at 3oclock? It’s so they can televise one of them as each broadcaster can only show live coverage from the same ground 4/5 times a season I believe

Or how often do they televise live games from Ibrox and Parkhead unless it’s a derby. All to ensure their home attendances aren’t effected

The other ten clubs are complicit in this whole debacle as they agreed to this

I don't think it is anything to do with home attendences and more of the broadcaster(s) trying to maximise their audience. 

1 hour ago, theweestevie said:

I don't think it is anything to do with home attendences and more of the broadcaster(s) trying to maximise their audience. 

It's bugger all to do with attendances as the season tickets are already sold so would have a minimal impact. They want the away games to maximise their TV audience. 

The sooner we go to 20 team leagues the better. 

I'm sure I saw a stat recently that Scott Brown has played Motherwell 44 times, or something like that. It's boring. 

I'm not sure there is a huge difference in quality between the bottom 6 and Championship. The gap would be even less within a year or two of a bigger league. 

40 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The sooner we go to 20 team leagues the better. 

I'm sure I saw a stat recently that Scott Brown has played Motherwell 44 times, or something like that. It's boring. 

I'm not sure there is a huge difference in quality between the bottom 6 and Championship. The gap would be even less within a year or two of a bigger league. 

20 team league is far far too big. 

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

20 team league is far far too big. 

I’d have to agree, Scotland is not a big enough country to support that number, there’s only 22 full time teams at the moment.

12 x premiership

8 x championship

2 x league 1

to best of my knowledge

18 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

No wonder, you seen your home form?

:lol:

Haha.  It's been ridiculous, but, it seems that there's this belief that Rangers get it easy. 

Despite missing 4 seasons in the top tier, they're still the team who've played away 3 times most.  Teams can't have it both ways. 

I get the split is flawed, but it won't be changed.  It's not Rangers fault the fixtures came out as they did.