This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 49 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

12 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

It's embarrassing that 43k Aberdeen fans attended that cup final yet our current average home gate is around 14.5k.  The club is still trying everything to boost attendances.  Bit of a cop our perhaps, but the current Aberdeen economy is in a terrible state.

Could be worse though, Celtic's average home gate must be around 40k, yet there were 456,748,363 of you in Seville?! :P:ph34r:

Motherwell will be lucky to get 1/3 of the support we had on Sunday tomorrow night.

I suppose folk make an extra effort for finals and the likes. Not to mention neutrals (Huns from Motherwell in Sunday’s case) and exiles who come back.

I miss a lot of games these days because of work and kids, but I’m always going to make a cup final. I’ll probably get to about 15 games this season, maybe more if we get a run in the Scottish Cup or have a few extra midweek games.

Its been proved time and again, you could literally open the gates for free at a run of the mill league game and you wouldn’t fill fir park.

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell will be lucky to get 1/3 of the support we had on Sunday tomorrow night.

I suppose folk make an extra effort for finals and the likes. Not to mention neutrals (Huns from Motherwell in Sunday’s case) and exiles who come back.

I miss a lot of games these days because of work and kids, but I’m always going to make a cup final. I’ll probably get to about 15 games this season, maybe more if we get a run in the Scottish Cup or have a few extra midweek games.

Its been proved time and again, you could literally open the gates for free at a run of the mill league game and you wouldn’t fill fir park.

I can't get my head round any Rangers fan attending a cup final against Celtic as a neutral. Or if the roles were reversed. Each to their own I suppose but to me that's very very weird.

7 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I can't get my head round any Rangers fan attending a cup final against Celtic as a neutral. Or if the roles were reversed. Each to their own I suppose but to me that's very very weird.

I think there are old firm fans in the Motherwell area who don’t mind Motherwell and would go along with mates or family for the day out.

Probably not your staunch kind that hate everyone and would figure out Celtic would get £7.50 of their ticket money.

We’d get more of that sort of support if we weren’t playing Celtic (or Rangers), and some more glory hunters too.

Would imagine same would apply to Morton, Killie, maybe St Mirren?

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You are at it.

Nope. Just saying it as i see it. Even Jones knew he'd behaved like a bellend as he briefly moaned the the ref and then went and apologised to Logan. 

Definitely a case of his frustration boiling over. I'm bemused how anyone could think that it wasn't a booking. 

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's in a hell of better state than most of the country.

Ask any Killie, Motherwell, Hamilton etc fan about the economy in their hometown.

I certainly wouldn't try and dispute that.  I'm only using the Aberdeen economy situation to "justify" current club attendances and certainly not as a comparison with the state of rest of the country.  However, in terms of how things have been here for last 20 years (and I appreciate that it's been very fortunate), it's pretty nasty right now.  I'm sure I read that 1 in 4 people in Aberdeen have lost their jobs and there are many more still to come.

7 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

However, in terms of how things have been here for last 20 years (and I appreciate that it's been very fortunate), it's pretty nasty right now.  I'm sure I read that 1 in 4 people in Aberdeen have lost their jobs and there are many more still to come.

Aberdeen voted No and votes for the Tories (2 out of 3 MPs)

How can this be ?

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aberdeen voted No and votes for the Tories (2 out of 3 MPs)

How can this be ?

I think you have to understand more about the demographic make up of Aberdeen to be able to answer this question with any degree of accuracy.  I don't know enough about it so therefore can't answer.  However, I can tell you there a large percentage of voters in Aberdeen who had come for jobs in the oil and gas industry and aren't from the local or even surrounding areas.  

ETA - but i see what you are implying and i agree.....(perhaps the Tories have misread the demographic also and left many of their "own" out to dry?)

Edited by SMcoolJ

53 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope. Just saying it as i see it. Even Jones knew he'd behaved like a bellend as he briefly moaned the the ref and then went and apologised to Logan. 

Definitely a case of his frustration boiling over. I'm bemused how anyone could think that it wasn't a booking. 

I'm assumed that you can think for a second it's even close to a red card.

46 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I certainly wouldn't try and dispute that.  I'm only using the Aberdeen economy situation to "justify" current club attendances and certainly not as a comparison with the state of rest of the country.  However, in terms of how things have been here for last 20 years (and I appreciate that it's been very fortunate), it's pretty nasty right now.  I'm sure I read that 1 in 4 people in Aberdeen have lost their jobs and there are many more still to come.

I'd love to know where that figure of 1 in 4 has come from. It will be a large number but that seems extreme. Only basing it on my personnel experience and people I know. Also those that I know have lost there jobs have managed to find new ones with big paycuts (still above or on the national average) or a few away from Aberdeen

Before my time but I've been told even during the success of the 80s we had some poor crowds for run of the mill league games. 

18 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

So out for 6 days. :ok:

He looked fine when he tried to break Carl mchughs leg in retaliation and when he stuck away the penalty Sinclair dived for.

He's a doubt for Anderlecht. Merely reporting news. Your whataboutery doesn't interest me 👍

1 hour ago, drew said:

I'd love to know where that figure of 1 in 4 has come from. It will be a large number but that seems extreme. Only basing it on my personnel experience and people I know. Also those that I know have lost there jobs have managed to find new ones with big paycuts (still above or on the national average) or a few away from Aberdeen

Before my time but I've been told even during the success of the 80s we had some poor crowds for run of the mill league games. 

Like i say, read it somewhere, also read 1 in 6 people that were in Aberdeen have left.  The bit in bold will still be considered job losses i imagine.

ETA - the company i work for has gone from 60k employees to 30k employees.  Some competitors have been more aggressive. These are global figures, but it highlights the damage and Aberdeen is an oil town. 

Edited by SMcoolJ

49 minutes ago, slasher said:

He's a doubt for Anderlecht. Merely reporting news. Your whataboutery doesn't interest me 👍

I’ll not be choking on my sour grapes with shock if he makes it for Anderlecht and Brendan Rodgers is just publicly playing the dirty Motherwell card ahead of the league double header...

It was a very “clumsy” tackle when you see it slowed down, I thought it looked a great tackle at the time too.

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I assumed that you meant "amused" ;)

Game of opinions, i guess. Referee, Jones (based on his absence of any real complaint) and Steve Clarke all seem to agree with me that it was a booking, so i'm satisfied with my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ll not be choking on my sour grapes with shock if he makes it for Anderlecht and Brendan Rodgers is just publicly playing the dirty Motherwell card ahead of the league double header...

It was a very “clumsy” tackle when you see it slowed down, I thought it looked a great tackle at the time too.

If you think Rodgers has any inclination or any need to play mind games with Motherwell you're barking. That's up there with yon weirdo Aberdeen fan who claimed Griffiths injury earlier in the season was a ruse so he could miss a Scotland game.

6 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

It's embarrassing that 43k Aberdeen fans attended that cup final yet our current average home gate is around 14.5k.  The club is still trying everything to boost attendances.  Bit of a cop our perhaps, but the current Aberdeen economy is in a terrible state.

Could be worse though, Celtic's average home gate must be around 40k, yet there were 456,748,363 of you in Seville?! :P:ph34r:

Aberdeens attendances during the “glory years” barely stayed at 15k. 

Thats what our support amounts to I’m afraid, I personally don’t see why we’re attempting to build a 20k stadium, it’s wasted. 

38 minutes ago, slasher said:

If you think Rodgers has any inclination or any need to play mind games with Motherwell you're barking. That's up there with yon weirdo Aberdeen fan who claimed Griffiths injury earlier in the season was a ruse so he could miss a Scotland game.

I think I joined in that conspiracy theory.

:lol:

Rodgers did wade in to the Ryan Bowman debate after the semi, which Motherwell fans took to be an attempt to influence the officials in the build up to the final...

(although to be fair, I’d presume it was in response to being asked his thoughts)

I’m sure there’s lots of things Celtic don’t need to do to gain an advantage over other teams in Scotland, but they do it anyway.