This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 27 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Celtic are far, far, far superior to any team in that league.

You may be right Parkie, but I guess we’ll never know for sure given that Celtic will never compete against these teams on a meaningful, sustained basis, so it’s purely conjecture.

In terms of the point I was making though, it almost doesn’t matter though how good Celtic are or aren’t. Regardless of how good they are it doesn’t alter the standard of Scottish football as whole. I know it’s a particular sore point for you when folk run down our game. I’m not doing that as such. I have no issue with the product on offer in Scotland given the relative paucity of resources compared to other leagues (such as the English Championship). I don’t deny we get some cracking games in Scotland. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed my 2 visits to St. Mirren Park so far this season and seen 2 cracking games. But that doesn’t mean we can pretend that the “standard” is as high as it is elsewhere.

I guess my point was that almost regardless of how good Celtic are as an individual outfit, Lewis Morgan’s talents would be wasted there, given the standard of football he’d be playing week in week out. Ironically, he’d probably stand a far better chance of playing regularly for a club in a higher standard of league than he would at a big fish in a little pond like Celtic.

In recent times St. Mirren fans have been guilty of getting over excited about relatively modest talents such as Kenny Maclean, John McGinn etc. I truly believe though that Morgan is the real deal and will go on to play at a very high level.  

Edited by Marky

19 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Surely teams such as Hibs, Hearts and Motherwell must be looking at Morgan ?

Don't let him go and rot in a Celtic or Rangers reserve team.

:lol:

Hibs, Hearts and Motherwell don't have a hope in hell of signing Morgan.

Apart from the fact he is WAY too good for them and they could never compete with the other teams that will be in for him, the boy himself has set his targets way beyond the likes of them.

He is exactly the sort of player we (Hearts) should be trying to sign. I don't think we would have any real chance of signing him, as he'll get far more from a Championship or even League 1 team, but an enquiry and offer before the window closed wouldn't have gone amiss. He looks a decent player.

7 hours ago, Marky said:

Always a difficult one to answer as he can only rip the pish out of whatever is in front on him in the Championship. Maybe the best matches to judge him in are the Scotland U21 games. So far he’s had 2 caps and 2 motm awards. One of them being against The Netherlands.

I’m confident that he’d star in the English Championship, but I hope he will go even further. 

My mate was at that game and said at the time it was Morgan not Burke who looked like the £13m player. Took it with a pinch of salt as he is also a Buddie but the lad's performances certainly seem to be catching the eye..

On 26/09/2017 at 0:54 PM, Marky said:

I presume RB you mean that he might not be good enough to immediately get into Celtic's starting XI? If so I'd probably agree.

I think he's more than capable of "playing for Celtic" per se. In fact I'd be thoroughly disappointed if he ended up at any team in Scotland. For me he's too good to play in the SPFL. Upper echelons of the English Championship should be the bare minimum of his aspirations.

Spot on Marky. He's not quite ready for a team like Celtic but he will hopefully be at that level soon. He just has to make a sensible move when he does decide to leave. 

I see Rangers are taking a bit of stick on twitter after their charity foundation tweeted about the £4837 they raised for the charities at their recent armed forces day.

About 9p per fan at the game.

:lol:

Poppy Scotland will be lucky to break even if that's the sort of smash they put in their cans.

18 minutes ago, slasher said:

Kenny Miller banished to the under 20 squad! This could be the beginning of the end for Crazy Pedro. Pity. ?

Bizarre headline choice on the backpage of the Daily Record today... 

19 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

This Hibs game against the Tribute act tomorrow is going to be a right circus. Complete and utter cringe fest

Players and managers stating they are not  going to be celebrating goals and wins.

The games a bogey

I was surprised Griffiths has never played against Hibs, definitely seen him against Motherwell for Dundee and Celtic, and pretty sure Livi too.

Wonder if Griffiths and Lennon will manage to contain their kuntishness?

22 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

This Hibs game against the Tribute act tomorrow is going to be a right circus. Complete and utter cringe fest

Players and managers stating they are not  going to be celebrating goals and wins.

The games a bogey

Hibs v Tribute act tomorrow??

Haven't Hibs already beaten them this season?

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I was surprised Griffiths has never played against Hibs, definitely seen him against Motherwell for Dundee and Celtic, and pretty sure Livi too.

Aye that's a surprising stat, he's nearly played 400 career games, albeit quite a few for Hibs...

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The games a bogey

The whole not celebrating thing grinds my gears, pure nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, Mox said:

If you think that's bad the worst one was Scott Browns last game for Hibs. Three days after he signed for Celtic, he scored a heider for Hibs, he didn't celebrate a Hibs goal but the Celtic fans did 

:wtf:

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Disagree. Nothing wrong with it if that's what a player wants to do. Shows a bit of class and respect to the player's former employers and their fans who cheered him. 

What i don't understand is why it's such a talking point and why the media focuses on it so much. Who the feck actually cares if a player celebrates or not? 

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Disagree. Nothing wrong with it if that's what a player wants to do. Shows a bit of class and respect to the player's former employers and their fans who cheered him. 

What i don't understand is why it's such a talking point and why the media focuses on it so much. Who the feck actually cares if a player celebrates or not? 

I think there's a happy middle ground, between Adebayor v Arsenal for Man City and the players going over the top not to celebrate (if that makes sense) that has crept in over the last few years.

As you say though, possibly due to the media making it a story.