Team GB Football - Again - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team GB Football - Again

English FA are going to put forward a womans team for the next Olympics and will as usual ride 'rough shod' over any objections so it will happen this time. (followed by a men's team soon after without a doubt. :hammer:

The online article on BBC had a comments page and this one just about summed it al up "why don't the lesser nations just shut up and let GB get on with it"   I was not happy with that one but didn't trust myself to reply.

They keep quoting British Lions, Team GB athletics and so on but just don't get the argument that FIFA would eventually move on us and INSIST on one football association and one 'national' team :banghead::banghead::banghead:

They're getting way ahead of themselves.  In order to qualify they'd need to first of all qualify for the next World Cup and then finish as one of the top three European nations.  

Mind you, they were certain they'd win the Euros so that's probably not that surprising. 

I see that Kim Little is up for it, it would be rank hypocrisy if she failed to qualify with Scotland but took a spot in the GB squad as a result of England qualifying. 

Mind you, given she's from Aberdeenshire it's no surprise she's a total Belinda Brit. 

1 hour ago, Mazziessc said:

I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about, sure I get why some are so against it but ffs its for the olympics, not the world cup. Imo I dont see the harm in a team GB team competing. 

I don't see any harm in a team Scotland at the olympics.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

I see that Kim Little is up for it, it would be rank hypocrisy if she failed to qualify with Scotland but took a spot in the GB squad as a result of England qualifying. 

Mind you, given she's from Aberdeenshire it's no surprise she's a total Belinda Brit. 

Shes from mintlaw in banff and buchan,, had been snp for 30 years before sturgeons disastrous reign  

3 hours ago, aaid said:

They're getting way ahead of themselves.  In order to qualify they'd need to first of all qualify for the next World Cup and then finish as one of the top three European nations.  

What if Scotland qualify too? I can see some objections to Team GB having 4 different opportunities to qualify for the Olympics...

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Shes from mintlaw in banff and buchan,, had been snp for 30 years before sturgeons disastrous reign  

Banff and Buchan is in Aberdeenshire is it not?

Such a staunch SNP area that it voted 60% for No in 2014.

Guest flumax

We voted 55% in favour of Scotland being a region. Nothing special about us. I hope team gb does happen, UK football league, get rid if sru (as 7s are doing), remove devolved bodies, education and legal.  The exceptionalism of our region is unjustified and frankly needs to stop. This halfway house of a nation but not a nation should stop. 

Back in earlier generations any talk of team GB would have had the vast majority against with a tiny few saying imagine at team with Dalglish, Rush and Robson in it.

Nowadays zero Scots would get anywhere near a squad for GB, we would be effectively deleted from international football. 

With that in mind any of those players in Scotland women should think very carefully before making any calls. There are heaps of voices against the home nations sitting with FIFA on that rules body.  We should give them nothing.

1 hour ago, jockodile said:

Back in earlier generations any talk of team GB would have had the vast majority against with a tiny few saying imagine at team with Dalglish, Rush and Robson in it.

Nowadays zero Scots would get anywhere near a squad for GB, we would be effectively deleted from international football. 

With that in mind any of those players in Scotland women should think very carefully before making any calls. There are heaps of voices against the home nations sitting with FIFA on that rules body.  We should give them nothing.

I think looking at the selections for various GBNI football teams at the London Olympics that all the evidence is there to support your viewpoint, 40 odd players in women and mens squads none from N.Ireland, two Scots and a few Welsh. 

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

To be fair it is seen as the top competition for womens' football.

I think it is just below the world cup but I can see that changing in the future. With the money that could potentially come into the game I can see the World Cup being much bigger. In the Olympics football will always be behind track and field events and is competing with many other sports for coverage which will play a part in the World Cup becoming the main tournament as the attention is just on them.

Why is the Olympics wanting football, rugby 7s, golf and tennis in it. These sports already have tournaments which are viewed as bigger or equal to the Olympics (for that sport not the Olympics as a whole). Plus they are stealing some coverage or even stealing Olympic spots from other sports which would view it as the pinnacle. I think wrestling and karate are possibly being dropped in the future.

4 hours ago, drew said:

Why is the Olympics wanting football, rugby 7s, golf and tennis in it. These sports already have tournaments which are viewed as bigger or equal to the Olympics (for that sport not the Olympics as a whole). 

Agree re golf, tennis and rugby, but the Olympic football tournament's been going since 1900, 30 years before the World Cup started.

Guest MorayCupMan

The Olympics are gash anyway

Anyone who watches that over funded nonsense needs a real good talking too.

Edited by MorayCupMan

English FA are consistently now attempting this every 4 years. For them and many of their countryman they don't see the difference.

Like it or not we voted to effectively say that we preferred to be British before Scottish, we have no right to demand our own national team in international competition any longer.