Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 64 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, aaid said:

A promising start for him this season but still a long way to go.  It'll be interesting to see if he goes on the pre-season tour with the first team as that's usually a good indicator of who they rate from the youths.  Mind you they took Islam Feruz one year so it's not foolproof. 

He's from the same town as me (Saltcoats) and his wee brother plays for Killie.

From what I've seen of him he looks a special player. Would be good if he could follow in the foot steps of the other famous players from the town!

21 hours ago, andyD said:

Not really the thread to ask that, but feel free to start a new one.

I'd always find a place for Robertson tbh. Whether you use Tierney as left of a back 3 and Robertson wide left, or Tierney at left fullback with Robertson ahead of him. there's certainly options which accommodate them both.

Robertson is the first  name on the team sheet.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Robertson is the first  name on the team sheet.

Aye.  I'd have them both on the left in a 4231, or if we go back 3, then Tierney on the left of the 3 and Robertson wide.

No question in my mind we need to get them both on the pitch and in positions they can contribute.

Think the original hypothetical question I was asking has been missed. If we were to pick all the Celtic players play them in their correct positions using the same system but replacing the non scots with scots in their correct positions who would we add . Of  course Robertson will be in any team we pick. 

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think the original hypothetical question I was asking has been missed. If we were to pick all the Celtic players play them in their correct positions using the same system but replacing the non scots with scots in their correct positions who would we add .

Ah ok, i guess the question wasn't all that clear heh.

So basically..

Griffiths
[someone] - McGregor - Forrest
Armstrong - Brown
Tierney - [someone] - Hendry - [someone]
Gordon

Well, I'd stick Robertson wide left. McKenna at center back and well.. right back's still a mess. Paterson, probably, but I think Stevie O'Donnell from Kilmarnock's worth an opportunity there.

Obviously not the actual international side I'd go for.. Brown's retired, Forrest never performs, and I'm not sure I trust McGregor yet.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

So basically..

Griffiths
Armstrong - Brown
Gordon

Well, I'd stick Robertson wide left. McKenna at center back and well.. right back's still a mess. Paterson, probably, but I think Stevie O'Donnell from Kilmarnock's worth an opportunity there.

Obviously not the actual international side I'd go for.. Brown's retired, Forrest never performs, and I'm not sure I trust McGregor yet.

Why wouldn't you trust McGregor?

Very good player and Celtic always look better with him in the team. I'm certainly have him ahead of Armstrong, although I think there is probably room for both. 

4 hours ago, andyD said:

So basically..

Griffiths
Armstrong - Brown
Gordon

McGregor would be in my starting 11 any day.

Fair enough, I'll bow to you two's knowledge as you've clearly seen him more than me.

For me, I guess I just haven't been that impressed by what I've seen.
He linked up well at times in the internationals, but nothing much came of it.
Haven't seen a lot of Celtic this season, but his stats aren't exactly great. 6 goals, 4 assists in over 30 league games.. playing mostly as an attacking mid for a team that walks the league.Two league goal since the end of September.
He seems like the top man if you have someone unmarked on the edge of the area, but beyond that doesn't seem to be involved in a lot of goals. 70 league goals for Celtic this season.. he's scored or assisted 10.
It's also perhaps telling that no one seems particularly interested in trying to tempt him away from Celtic, the Premier League wants Rogic, but no ones mentioned McGregor at all.
I'm left feeling like maybe he doesn't have the edge you need to play at the highest level.

Then you look at who else is in his position..

Tom Cairney.. Great season after great season, and several clubs wanting to spend 20mil to take him to the Premier League.
Snodgrass.. Playing wide, but has a new lease of life with 8 goals, 13 assists in the Championship.
Callum Paterson.. Missed the start of the season injured, but has banged in 10 at a higher level since November.
Barry Bannan.. Visible impact on results. Heading for relegation while he was injured. He returns and it's promotion form.
John McGinn.. seems to have a better rounded game, more willing and more able to do the defensive stuff

I know it seems like I'm ripping over McGregor and saying we should forget him.. but that's not what I mean at all. He's a decent player. He has a knack of popping up in big games. And he's still only 24. I'm just not convinced he's a top drawer player, or our best option in midfield. He's an easy option since he's already got an understanding with the Celtic contingent. Anyway.. hopefully in a year I'll be eating my words and I'll have him as one of the first names in the 11.

40 minutes ago, andyD said:

Fair enough, I'll bow to you two's knowledge as you've clearly seen him more than me.

For me, I guess I just haven't been that impressed by what I've seen.
He linked up well at times in the internationals, but nothing much came of it.
Haven't seen a lot of Celtic this season, but his stats aren't exactly great. 6 goals, 4 assists in over 30 league games.. playing mostly as an attacking mid for a team that walks the league.Two league goal since the end of September.
He seems like the top man if you have someone unmarked on the edge of the area, but beyond that doesn't seem to be involved in a lot of goals. 70 league goals for Celtic this season.. he's scored or assisted 10.
It's also perhaps telling that no one seems particularly interested in trying to tempt him away from Celtic, the Premier League wants Rogic, but no ones mentioned McGregor at all.
I'm left feeling like maybe he doesn't have the edge you need to play at the highest level.

Then you look at who else is in his position..

Tom Cairney.. Great season after great season, and several clubs wanting to spend 20mil to take him to the Premier League.
Snodgrass.. Playing wide, but has a new lease of life with 8 goals, 13 assists in the Championship.
Callum Paterson.. Missed the start of the season injured, but has banged in 10 at a higher level since November.
Barry Bannan.. Visible impact on results. Heading for relegation while he was injured. He returns and it's promotion form.
John McGinn.. seems to have a better rounded game, more willing and more able to do the defensive stuff

I know it seems like I'm ripping over McGregor and saying we should forget him.. but that's not what I mean at all. He's a decent player. He has a knack of popping up in big games. And he's still only 24. I'm just not convinced he's a top drawer player, or our best option in midfield. He's an easy option since he's already got an understanding with the Celtic contingent. Anyway.. hopefully in a year I'll be eating my words and I'll have him as one of the first names in the 11.

McGregor is all about moving the ball and keeping a move going. He will make us tick. He’s got great technique and for me stood out in Celtic’s big games. He will also score goals.

11 hours ago, andyD said:

So basically..

Griffiths
Armstrong - Brown
Gordon

And we still have players out  of position. Was hoping Pasta Mick could create a Scottish Celtic team.

11 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

McGregor was my man of the match against Hungary. He's some player. And I'd be surprised if an English Premier league team didn't come calling. Not saying a top 6 but a top 10 team.

Really? Thought Robertson and Fraser were by far the standouts. All of our threat seemed to come from them.

Firmly in the mcgregor camp. We should be building the side round him. Thought he was outstanding v Hungary. Just keeps the ball with ease which is one of the most important things in international football 

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Never been much a fan of McArthur but he does fairly chip in with goals from time to time for crystal palace. He should defo be in our squad imo.

Same here. He has had positive reviews lately though.

Also, as it stands 5 Scots will be relegated from the EPL. A minimum of 2 will be promoted.

22 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

James McArthur scores for Palace against Stoke and could send Lambert's Stoke to relegation.

Had a really good game, not just a well taken goal but he made plenty of good interceptions by his own box.

Midfield options are shaping up well for me, just need to find the right combination.

I'd also say looking at Fraser sprinting up and down the right wing for Bournemouth yesterday he needs to be tried as the right wing back in the summer friendlies.