Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I always had my reservations about Robertson going there. Competition for places is too hot and first team football was never going to be guaranteed. He would have been better off moving to a mid-table team in the EPL in my opinion.

Nonsense. Let's see how things are at the end of the season before saying he's made a bad move. We need our players to be at top clubs. 

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I always had my reservations about Robertson going there. Competition for places is too hot and first team football was never going to be guaranteed. He would have been better off moving to a mid-table team in the EPL in my opinion.

You can’t turn down a move to Liverpool or similar level of club. That would show a complete lack of ambition. 

You go there, do your best and if it doesn’t work out you can move to a less competitive team. 

The sad thing for Robertson is he’s being kept out of the team by someone that I think he’s at least as good as, if not better. His manager obviously doesn’t agree. 

He could still force his way into the starting 11, particularly if Klopp gets the chop. 

30 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Nonsense. Let's see how things are at the end of the season before saying he's made a bad move. We need our players to be at top clubs. 

Fair enough - it may be too soon to judge but he is at a club that has a European manager with largely a European pool of players to pick from who he seems to favour. Robertson (from the chances he has had) has done precious little wrong so why is he so out of favour?

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough - it may be too soon to judge but he is at a club that has a European manager with largely a European pool of players to pick from who he seems to favour. Robertson (from the chances he has had) has done precious little wrong so why is he so out of favour?

Is he actually that out of favour? A lot of  managers won’t have a left/right back on the bench as if a full back gets injured you just rejig your defence. It’s more of a concern if a centre half gets injured. 

I have heard stories about Klopp not rating Robertson or being annoyed that he missed a match because he went to the birth of his child but I’m not sure how true they are. 

Not making the squad makes it look bad but maybe it’s just a case of Klopp slightly preferring Moreno and not thinking there’s a need for a LB on the bench? 

The problem is still at centre half for Liverpool and (unbelievably) Bombscare Moreno hadn't made any massive mistakes yet. I'm convinced Milner would drop into left back in any case.However I can't get away from the rumour that Robbo was an owners signing and not klopps. It reeks of it.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

The problem is still at centre half for Liverpool and (unbelievably) Bombscare Moreno hadn't made any massive mistakes yet. I'm convinced Milner would drop into left back in any case.However I can't get away from the rumour that Robbo was an owners signing and not klopps. It reeks of it.

That sounds highly feasible.

6 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Barrie McKay scored again.

Hasnhad a great season, really needed thenmove and proving he has somemquality, should be in the squadnwithout a doubt.

RUSSEL SCORED for derby too, sorry about the caps 

It's becoming clearer every week that passes that Klopp did not sign Robertson.

The chairman, director of football or whoever was responsible and now we have a key player losing match fitness. Thankfully we don't have any competitive games for a wee while now.

I really wish Robertson had got that move to Burnley back in January. 

Oliver Burke scored for West Brom u23's or whatever age group it is against Coventry in that EFL Trophy last night. Hopefully be back fully fit soon - strange he isn't involved for the u21s as well this week.

7 hours ago, hursty said:

Oliver Burke scored for West Brom u23's or whatever age group it is against Coventry in that EFL Trophy last night. Hopefully be back fully fit soon - strange he isn't involved for the u21s as well this week.

I think last time he was with the u21s he aggravated the injury and was out for several more weeks so I can understand them leaving him out. Tbh if he was fit and playing regularly for WBA he would and should be in the full squad (being a young, speedy fwd who clearly will be a first choice for Scotland sooner rather than later)

13 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

I think last time he was with the u21s he aggravated the injury and was out for several more weeks so I can understand them leaving him out. Tbh if he was fit and playing regularly for WBA he would and should be in the full squad (being a young, speedy fwd who clearly will be a first choice for Scotland sooner rather than later)

That was my understanding too. That he was intentionally left out purely because we wanted to 'do right by his club' and not take him when he's not really match fit and expose him to more of an injury risk.

Given the squad also has Fraser and Christie, we've got enough 'new' wingers who need game time for one friendly.

I think Robertson may have been a bit unfortunate in that he has inspired Moreno into a decent run of form. The coach of the Spanish national team, who is presumably a decent judge of a player, seems to thinks so anyway as Moreno's been recalled to the Spain Squad. http://www.football365.com/news/recalled-moreno-playing-like-an-undroppable-starter 

• 2 weeks later...