Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 67 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

On 5/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, Tartan_McCole said:

In 50 years time I'd imagine people (Celtic fans..) will be talking about the team that won back to back trebles whilst also completing an invincible domestic season in the same way the Lions achievement gets spoken of. It's hardly an outrageous thing to state.

Maybe talking about how they won it completely unopposed.  Celtic are not some greatest ever Celtic team... it’s just the rest are rubbish.  Martin o Neil’s Celtic were better and achieved more in European terms.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, Tartan_McCole said:

In 50 years time I'd imagine people (Celtic fans..) will be talking about the team that won back to back trebles whilst also completing an invincible domestic season in the same way the Lions achievement gets spoken of. It's hardly an outrageous thing to state.

On 5/23/2018 at 3:19 PM, aaid said:

I bet you they aren't.

Exactly what I was thinking aaid.

In 50 years time I doubt anyone will be talking about a single player from the current Celtic team. Well, Tierney might turn into something special or he might not. Aside from him though??

Anyway, the way things are going they wouldn’t be talking about the team that won back to back trebles, because they’ll probably win as many trebles on the bounce that they want to. 

10 minutes ago, Marky said:

Exactly what I was thinking aaid.

In 50 years time I doubt anyone will be talking about a single player from the current Celtic team. Well, Tierney might turn into something special or he might not. Aside from him though??

Anyway, the way things are going they wouldn’t be talking about the team that won back to back trebles, because they’ll probably win as many trebles on the bounce that they want to. 

They will still be talking about Leigh Griffiths in 50 years time. He will be remembered as the man who boosted the population of Scotland.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

They will still be talking about Leigh Griffiths in 50 years time. He will be remembered as the man who boosted the population of Scotland.

Nah. Only if Kane hadn’t equalised.

2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I make that 10 Scots in the English Prem next season (before transfers)

I always try to make an all Scots fantasy league team (2nd team, I'm no an idiot!) And a couple of years ago it was easy, now, basically impossible. 

8 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I make that 10 Scots in the English Prem next season (before transfers)

McTominay, Robertson, Bardsley, Fraser, McArthur, Ritchie, Douglas, Paterson, Cairney, McDonald?

You'd only really have 2 or 3 of them in the strongest XI. 

Hornby, Hamilton and Gilmour all featured in 1st team squads last season for their clubs so hopefully they can make a breakthrough this season. 

34 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

McTominay, Robertson, Bardsley, Fraser, McArthur, Ritchie, Douglas, Paterson, Cairney, McDonald?

Hornby, Hamilton and Gilmour all featured in 1st team squads last season for their clubs so hopefully they can make a breakthrough this season. 

Just thinking Snodgrass would be on that list when he returns to West Ham. 

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

Goal for Tam Cairney in the Championship/EPL play-off game.

Easily a premier league quality player on yesterday's performance. McDonald was good aswell although I believe he struggled a bit in the March games and Scotland have depth in that position.

Can't believe Cairney has so few caps, what is the issue as he's been playing like this for Fulham for last 18 months. He grew up in England or something?

Snodgrass for us was pretty poor, just went for the glory all the time with stupid shots instead of passing the ball.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, Tartan_McCole said:

Celtic needs good european run to break out from just being domestic bullies.

Obviously I realize how tough CL is now but shouldn't be beyond them to have a decent run in the europa league like they did in 2003 given Salzburg got to the semi finals this season.

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Personally I would have robertson, Bardsley, Fraser, cairney in our first eleven. Obviously Bardsley is well out of favour for some reason so I would put Patterson in there. The rest of the team should be made of Celtic players bar a couple others like McKenna and mulgrew imo.

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Easily a premier league quality player on yesterday's performance. McDonald was good aswell although I believe he struggled a bit in the March games and Scotland have depth in that position.

Can't believe Cairney has so few caps, what is the issue as he's been playing like this for Fulham for last 18 months. He grew up in England or something?

Snodgrass for us was pretty poor, just went for the glory all the time with stupid shots instead of passing the ball.

Hopefully he gets more caps now, a midfield of Armstrong, McGregor and cairney would be good enough for international football.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Personally I would have robertson, Bardsley, Fraser, cairney in our first eleven. Obviously Bardsley is well out of favour for some reason so I would put Patterson in there. The rest of the team should be made of Celtic players bar a couple others like McKenna and mulgrew imo.

Perhaps his attitude explains why Bardsley is out of favour.

After being snubbed for the squads for the two friendlies against the Czech Republic and Denmark, Bardsley, said: “I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!

“If somebody doesn’t think I’m good enough to play for my country, so be it.

“I will just keep playing for Stoke and enjoy being part of a great club among great players, and just keep trying to improve.”

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps his attitude explains why Bardsley is out of favour.

After being snubbed for the squads for the two friendlies against the Czech Republic and Denmark, Bardsley, said: “I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!

“If somebody doesn’t think I’m good enough to play for my country, so be it.

“I will just keep playing for Stoke and enjoy being part of a great club among great players, and just keep trying to improve.”

That sounds to me that he's pissed off he hasn't been picked and is trying to put a brave face on it by saying he doesn't care. Tbf if a manager thinks he's not good enough for our squad after playing in the EPL for years then you would surely have to question the judgement of the manager.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

That sounds to me that he's pissed off he hasn't been picked and is trying to put a brave face on it by saying he doesn't care. Tbf if a manager thinks he's not good enough for our squad after playing in the EPL for years then you would surely have to question the judgement of the manager.

But we don't know him personally. Perhaps that attitude came across in Scotland call-ups of not giving a crap. Who knows?

4 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Possibly because he plays in an area where there's been a lot of competition in recent years.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, Malcolm said:

Maybe talking about how they won it completely unopposed.  Celtic are not some greatest ever Celtic team... it’s just the rest are rubbish.  Martin o Neil’s Celtic were better and achieved more in European terms.

Under no illusions about how good this team are, and I can say they aren't the best Celtic team I've witnessed. However, an achievement is an achievement, and I'd be very surprised if that isn't acknowledged by fans in the future.

On 5/27/2018 at 1:33 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Hopefully he gets more caps now, a midfield of Armstrong, McGregor and cairney would be good enough for international football.

Would have McTominay as DM once he has little more experience as all those three like to get into opposition half so not sure who would be the sitter in that formation.

Nice options though and you've also got an experienced player like James McArthur floating around as cover plus the emerging SPL players.

Central midfield is nothing to worry about for next 5 years. That and the left hand side are international tournament standard. The centre half and striker options less so.

Edited by Tartan Chris

On 5/27/2018 at 2:27 PM, Toepoke said:

Possibly because he plays in an area where there's been a lot of competition in recent years.

He's better than Bannan who started a few of the qualifiers aswell.

Brown Morrison Snodgrass Anya Forrest started at home to England.

• 1 month later...