Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 56 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Is anyone else looking forward to this new era under eck?

the reemergence of paterson, the arrival of mctominey, fraser, McGregor, tierney, robertson, McKenna, cairney, mcginn, mcburnie and hopefully a fit Griffiths

the future is looking Nae bad.

hopefully jack hendry breaks into the Celtic first 11 soon and we can add another defender to the mix.

The future is looking fairly bright, seems like plenty options in each position and the under 21s look fairly strong too.

I feel we need another striker and a keeper to break into the top team then I would say nearly all positions are well covered.

8 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

The future is looking fairly bright, seems like plenty options in each position and the under 21s look fairly strong too.

I feel we need another striker and a keeper to break into the top team then I would say nearly all positions are well covered.

Centre-backs is still very poor. Some potential but all have a lot to prove. 

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Good performance by Hanley again last night going by reports

Does not matter, Cost us the goal against Lithuania, terrible defending at corners and cost us goals against slovakia and england. Need to forget about Hanley. Its no surprise after he was dropped we have 4 clean sheets in 5.

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Centre-backs is still very poor. Some potential but all have a lot to prove. 

Yeah but there are 4 centre backs who could potentially make it. Liam Lindsay, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry and John Souttar. Also add in Tierney who it looks like will play in that position now.

Its better than zero coming through which is what we've had recently. 

7 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Does not matter, Cost us the goal against Lithuania, terrible defending at corners and cost us goals against slovakia and england. Need to forget about Hanley. Its no surprise after he was dropped we have 4 clean sheets in 5.

That was when he wasn't getting club football and the return of Mulgrew had more to do with the clean sheets than anything else.

11 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Yeah but there are 4 centre backs who could potentially make it. Liam Lindsay, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry and John Souttar. Also add in Tierney who it looks like will play in that position now.

Its better than zero coming through which is what we've had recently. 

And only one of the four is actually in the squad although Lyndsay is one player I thought would be in the squad.

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And only one of the four is actually in the squad although Lyndsay is one player I thought would be in the squad.

True, but we're in a transitional period.. so it's somewhat expected.
It would have been a shock if McLeish had picked all 4 and gone "right, we're starting from scratch".

It makes more sense to bring in one or two along side an established, experienced, steady player like Mulgrew and ease the new guys into international football. I'm with you, I'd have bought Lindsey and maybe given him and McKenna a game each.

Got to say.. credit to McBurnie.
6 goals in 7 starts for Barnsley now.
Some different goals too.. some nicking in in the 6 yard box, some from the edge of the area, using his head and his feet.
pick of the bunch is probably this one tho..
https://youtu.be/8gtcPQLlYwY?t=55

He's got weirdly long shins it seems, that make him look a bit out of control when running, but he's finding the back of the net, which is all that matters at the end of the day. Fingers crossed he can do it for us as well.

17 hours ago, andyD said:

Got to say.. credit to McBurnie.
6 goals in 7 starts for Barnsley now.
Some different goals too.. some nicking in in the 6 yard box, some from the edge of the area, using his head and his feet.
pick of the bunch is probably this one tho..
https://youtu.be/8gtcPQLlYwY?t=55

That's a really good goal. It's interesting to see his positioning as well - trying to find spaces in front of the defence. From what I've seen McBurnie doesn't like playing as the target man - he's not an out-and-out striker. I think his ideal position is on the left of a front 3.

20 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Its going to be 'impossible' to play him in a position that we know he is capable of playing in?

Paterson can play right-back, just like Tierney can play right-back, and Russell Martin can play right-back.

From what I've seen of Paterson at right-back I would say he's not a good enough defender to play there for Scotland (last two games 3-0 v England, 3-0 v Slovakia). The fact that Cardiff prefer playing him further up the park suggests they're not convinced by his defensive qualities either.

1 hour ago, davew said:

Paterson can play right-back, just like Tierney can play right-back, and Russell Martin can play right-back.

From what I've seen of Paterson at right-back I would say he's not a good enough defender to play there for Scotland (last two games 3-0 v England, 3-0 v Slovakia). The fact that Cardiff prefer playing him further up the park suggests they're not convinced by his defensive qualities either.

Or that they've found something else that also suits him?

Agree that wing back would suit Scotland best though rather than right back.

1 hour ago, davew said:

That's a really good goal. It's interesting to see his positioning as well - trying to find spaces in front of the defence. From what I've seen McBurnie doesn't like playing as the target man - he's not an out-and-out striker. I think his ideal position is on the left of a front 3.

That seems to be where Barnsley have been using him lately, but that might just be more to do with the personnel they have available. They splashed out on Moore in January in the hope his League One goals would turn into Championship goals, and they don't really have a decent wide left player.

Looking at the highlights, I think all McBurnie's goals have come from central areas, where you'd expect a center forward to be. I'd use him as a center forward, let him come a bit deeper if he wants, with likes of Armstrong/Cairney, Fraser and Forrest going past him, so he can then break into the box.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:05 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

That was when he wasn't getting club football and the return of Mulgrew had more to do with the clean sheets than anything else.

Hanley had one moment to defend against lithuania and he dived in and got beat. 1 moment!!!!! If someone cant defend 1 moment how on earth are they going to defend 2? result = 2-0 down.

We need to move beyond and forget hanley. 

11 hours ago, jamboman said:

Hanley had one moment to defend against lithuania and he dived in and got beat. 1 moment!!!!! If someone cant defend 1 moment how on earth are they going to defend 2? result = 2-0 down.

We need to move beyond and forget hanley. 

Probably have won 7-4 if he hadn't been playing. I think he is better than most suggested on here, younger than the only two with any experience and more experience than the rest on his little finger.

Think I am going to have to agree to disagree with the views of some on here regards Hanley.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Everything about our current squad points at a 3-5-2. We have the players for it, hopefully Mcliesh tries it next Friday 

This. 3-5-2 certainly allows Tierney to play to his strengths on the left of the defence with Robertson given a bit more freedom to get forward. The whole defence then swivels across to cover the left with either Paterson (from right wing back) or McTominay if Paterson has gone as well. The other good thing is that the 'swivel' could see Paterson staying back if Tierney goes to support or overlap Robertson, with McTominay joining in at right back cover Paterson goes central and one of the other central of the 3 goes to left back. Gives the option that a lot on here would like to see - Robertson and Tierney both having an attacking threat, working together. The opposite applies on the other side, but with Paterson getting beyond McTominay as more of a goal threat potentially at the back post, rather than staying wide for supplying crosses.

6 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

This. 3-5-2 certainly allows Tierney to play to his strengths on the left of the defence with Robertson given a bit more freedom to get forward. The whole defence then swivels across to cover the left with either Paterson (from right wing back) or McTominay if Paterson has gone as well. The other good thing is that the 'swivel' could see Paterson staying back if Tierney goes to support or overlap Robertson, with McTominay joining in at right back cover Paterson goes central and one of the other central of the 3 goes to left back. Gives the option that a lot on here would like to see - Robertson and Tierney both having an attacking threat, working together. The opposite applies on the other side, but with Paterson getting beyond McTominay as more of a goal threat potentially at the back post, rather than staying wide for supplying crosses.

How is playing Tierney at left centre back playing to his strengths

He is a left back

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I meant it allowed him to NOT get punted to the right. If the idea is to get Robertson forward then Tierney will play a lot out wide as cover. Or as you say, let him play left back of a 4, and simply play Robertson left midfield......seems to be where he spends most of his time with Liverpool anyway.

Been playing Left Back all season, just seems to be playing further up due to Liverpools style of play