Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 51 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

On 27/02/2018 at 2:04 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Thing is though is Darren Fletcher never really won us games. His job at united was to make sure the other team doesn't play and to mark their danger men. People had expectations that he should be a star for us when truth is we have lots of players who can battle and tackle and mark and at united Fletcher was surrounded by flair players whereas with Scotland he was surrounded by average players.  What we need is players who have flair and can win a game with a bit of brilliance. Mctominay doesn't look like this kind of player but he would still be an excellent addition and would be a first team player for the future but I don't believe it would be a disaster if he chooses England. Personally I think it was a massive scoop we got Burke as he is a player that could be a potential game changer given time.

That's a hard one to judge.  The holding midfield role is a position you don't really notice much as a spectator but play the wrong player there and you're in trouble.  Fletch might not have scored many goals for us but he'll have helped other players to play.  A good holding midfielder will break up play, support his defence and start attacks.  It's not a glamorous role but it is an important one.

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

That's a hard one to judge.  The holding midfield role is a position you don't really notice much as a spectator but play the wrong player there and you're in trouble.  Fletch might not have scored many goals for us but he'll have helped other players to play.  A good holding midfielder will break up play, support his defence and start attacks.  It's not a glamorous role but it is an important one.

I agree. Just because he wasn't dribbling past three players and arrowing a shot into the top corner of the net doesn't mean he wasn't an important part of our team. Granted since he came back from his illness he has not been the same but still played in many winning teams for us. He was a ball-keeper if you will. Keep possession and move it on to our more aggressive midfielders.

On 27/02/2018 at 2:04 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Thing is though is Darren Fletcher never really won us games. His job at united was to make sure the other team doesn't play and to mark their danger men. People had expectations that he should be a star for us when truth is we have lots of players who can battle and tackle and mark and at united Fletcher was surrounded by flair players whereas with Scotland he was surrounded by average players.  What we need is players who have flair and can win a game with a bit of brilliance. Mctominay doesn't look like this kind of player but he would still be an excellent addition and would be a first team player for the future but I don't believe it would be a disaster if he chooses England. Personally I think it was a massive scoop we got Burke as he is a player that could be a potential game changer given time.

That's like saying Billy Bremner, Graeme Souness, Paul Lambert, Barry Ferguson, Scott Brown never won us games

3 minutes ago, todd said:

No Robertson tonight. Injured or rotation?  Either way hope Moreno has a shocker!

I'd like to think it's rested as Liverpool are comfortable for qualifying and therefore it's a chance to give Moreno a game.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would say most definitely a case of resting him. The tie is wrapped up so best use the chance to give key players a rest.

Yeah, I'd forgotten they were so far ahead from the first leg. 🖒

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Goal for McBurnie.

Also, water is wet. 

Think we used to say the same about Jordan Rhodes at that level!  Good to see McBurnie amongst the goals, I must admit few times I'd seen him on highlights at Swansea he hadn't seemed to make much impact and I was fearing he might be a non goal scoring centre forward, a few of which we've had over the years.

Douglas is just unlucky he's left footed, right back and he'd be a shoe in not just to make the squad but start imo.

Edit: He's worth a look though. Everyone knows the quality of Tierney and Robertson and of course injuries/suspensions can happen.

Liam Cooper on the other hand, what a poor defender.

Edited by Tartan Chris

58 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Douglas is just unlucky he's left footed, right back and he'd be a shoe in not just to make the squad but start imo.

Edit: He's worth a look though. Everyone knows the quality of Tierney and Robertson and of course injuries/suspensions can happen.

Liam Cooper on the other hand, what a poor defender.

Not sure how the wolves formation works but he doesn't appear to be playing left back probably more of a wing back. Not saying play him but he seems more of a Left mid player than Robertson which has been suggested. Could play left Mid in a 442 or cover in a 3511 for wing back. Should easily be in the squad though.