Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 50 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

3 hours ago, davew said:

I agree that he hasn't been that impressive and doesn't do anything spectacular. But we're talking about a 21 year old who is already playing at the highest level. 

For me, he looks like he could be the next Darren Fletcher. So he would be a massive loss.

Thing is though is Darren Fletcher never really won us games. His job at united was to make sure the other team doesn't play and to mark their danger men. People had expectations that he should be a star for us when truth is we have lots of players who can battle and tackle and mark and at united Fletcher was surrounded by flair players whereas with Scotland he was surrounded by average players.  What we need is players who have flair and can win a game with a bit of brilliance. Mctominay doesn't look like this kind of player but he would still be an excellent addition and would be a first team player for the future but I don't believe it would be a disaster if he chooses England. Personally I think it was a massive scoop we got Burke as he is a player that could be a potential game changer given time.

On 26/02/2018 at 3:27 PM, davew said:

I hadn't heard of Matt Smith before. Looks like a better option than Sam Gallagher at least.

Just found an interesting statistic. Excluding goalkeepers, Matt Smith has the lowest pass completion rate in the Championship. 3rd lowest is Callum Patterson, 5th lowest is Sam Gallagher.

At the other end of the scale, Tom Cairney has the highest rating in the Championship

Edited by davew

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I agree with what yer saying but I don't believe it to be huge loss if we don't get him. I believe Ross mccrorie is just as good and just because he's starting for man utd doesn't mean he will be there long term. Donald love started a couple of games and he now can't get a game for Sunderland. Hopefully mctominay becomes a regular for scotland and man utd but if not then another epl team would be ok.

Robbie Foy played for Liverpool. What happened to him? Feruz played for Celtic. What happened to him? Stewart played for United a few times and his career never exactly went stellar.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Robbie Foy played for Liverpool. What happened to him? Feruz played for Celtic. What happened to him? Stewart played for United a few times and his career never exactly went stellar.

Take your point but how often does Mourinho go out of his way to praise a young player when picking him ahead of an £83m one and then when he is fit, fitting him alongside instead of dropping him?

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

None of those started major games like champions league knock outs. In his first season McTominey is trusted to start at home to Chelsea and away to Sevilla so similar to how Fletcher broke through. I'd say that's a better sign than Robbie Foy playing in the carling cup for Liverpool.

Guest MorayCupMan
56 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

McBurnie scored for Barnsley again btw, cert to be in the next squad.

He must have scored in every start he has had now...only 4 or so but still a good sign

10 hours ago, davew said:

4 goals in 4 starts for a team that has struggled to score goals all season.

It's a very good sign, it would be good if he could move til Barnsley at the end of the season. He's out of contract in the summer but with his form right now he will get plenty offers especially if Swansea go down they may want to offer him a new contract themselves.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a very good sign, it would be good if he could move til Barnsley at the end of the season. He's out of contract in the summer but with his form right now he will get plenty offers especially if Swansea go down they may want to offer him a new contract themselves.

He will be at Ibrox next season. 

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Scotland u19s 2-0 up against Austria at HT. Rudden and Aitchison, two good striking prospects. For the inevitable naysayers, this is u19s not 16s, so these players aren’t far away.

They beat Denmark 1-0 the other day - both matches in Tondela, Spain at some sort of sports complex. Think these are the warm-ups for the Euro finals, starting against Germany I think. Fraser Hornby scored the goal - he played for Everton in the Europa League this season and seriously looks the part.

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Scotland u19s 2-0 up against Austria at HT. Rudden and Aitchison, two good striking prospects. For the inevitable naysayers, this is u19s not 16s, so these players aren’t far away.

SFA website is predictably useless.

But, apparently they beat Denmark 1-0 with a goal from Hornby.

And beat Austria 3-2 with 2 goals from Aitchison and 1 from Rudden.

On 07/12/2017 at 7:14 PM, ProudScot said:

Fraser Hornby makes his Everton debut tonight in the Europa League. Promising midfield talent 

On 07/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, ProudScot said:

I see he’s been prolific for the under 23s and converted into a striker indeed.

Big target man with potential, if he’s getting first team exposure at Everton then the under 21s seems a natural step and see how he develops. 

I missed this at the time. A teenage striker getting his debut at an EPL club is positive.

19 minutes ago, davew said:

I missed this at the time. A teenage striker getting his debut at an EPL club is positive.

He played midfield the game I saw him, but more a forward position than a holding player. Big gangly guy with good technical skills and pacy. In build, he reminds me of Fellaini. He's certainly not just a physical target man, and looks like he will become a really good offensive midfielder.

17 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He played midfield the game I saw him, but more a forward position than a holding player. Big gangly guy with good technical skills and pacy. In build, he reminds me of Fellaini. He's certainly not just a physical target man, and looks like he will become a really good offensive midfielder.

It seems Everton prefer him as a striker, no doubt on account of his height. It’ll be interesting to see if that becomes his preferred position. Probably good for us (or England 😐) if it is.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It seems Everton prefer him as a striker, no doubt on account of his height. It’ll be interesting to see if that becomes his preferred position. Probably good for us (or England 😐) if it is.

Twice you've said that. No reason at all to think he will play for England. 

It's maybe not ridiculous, but right now saying he could still choose England is just pointless speculation.

Here's a recent article about him from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5314289/Evertons-Fraser-Hornby-solution-Toffees.html

Our scout is a top football expert who attends matches each week searching for the next star.

This week the Secret Scout checks in on 18-year-old Everton striker Fraser Hornby.

Their young Scot, Fraser Hornby, caught my eye in a recent game. A 100 per center forward who never shirks a challenge and runs non-stop, he never let up until he was substituted late in the game.

Having been played as a lone striker against a tight centre half marker and his covering centre back, it was a thankless task. But he made himself available and was on the move to give his marker no rest.

Knowing where to run when the ball was in deep defensive positions, he made himself a good target.

His control was adequate and he showed a willingness to bring his midfield into the game, using his physique to good effect and making sure he got his body between his marker and the ball. He is tall and showed his aerial strength with one towering header across goal to create a chance. Not easy to mark because of his mobility, he was ever eager to spin down the channels and stretch the opposition.

Domestically he has been restricted to Premier League Division 2 but he played in Everton's final Europa League group game against Apollon Limassol last month. If he doesn't get sent on loan, Sam Allardyce may be tempted to give him a chance at first-team level.

3 hours ago, davew said:

It's maybe not ridiculous, but right now saying he could still choose England is just pointless speculation.

Here's a recent article about him from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5314289/Evertons-Fraser-Hornby-solution-Toffees.html

These young players like hornby know that the chance of making it with England is very slim so when offered international youth football they jump at it knowing fine well they can switch over to england if the they become good enough. If not then they can rely on Scotland as a back up. Sam Gallagher is fine example except for the fact he made the jump too soon and turns out he will never be good enough for England and we will probably be seeing him in our future squads. It's not unrealistic speculation to suggest hornby may want to represent the country he has been born and bred in.