Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 45 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

1 hour ago, simonmk said:

No matter, let the hype start now!

The messiah is born, again.

I won't hold my breath. I have seen far too many young Scots being touted as potential stars just because they move to a big EPL club. I can think of Michael Stewart (Man. United), Danny Wilson and Robbie Foy (Liverpool), Islam Feruz and another Chelsea player whose name escapes me all of whom sunk pretty much without trace. I can only think (in the last decade or two) of Darren Fletcher as a success story.

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I won't hold my breath. I have seen far too many young Scots being touted as potential stars just because they move to a big EPL club. I can think of Michael Stewart (Man. United), Danny Wilson and Robbie Foy (Liverpool), Islam Feruz and another Chelsea player whose name escapes me all of whom sunk pretty much without trace. I can only think (in the last decade or two) of Darren Fletcher as a success story.

I’m not sure he’s being touted as a potential star, but Man Utd are a billion pound business and wouldn’t put a player on the bench if they weren’t any good.

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not sure he’s being touted as a potential star, but Man Utd are a billion pound business and wouldn’t put a player on the bench if they weren’t any good.

But there again we know that means Jack. Michael Stewart played for United but he never went on to any sort of greatness. Pretty sure Feruz made the bench for Chelsea but what became of him?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But there again we know that means Jack. Michael Stewart played for United but he never went on to any sort of greatness. Pretty sure Feruz made the bench for Chelsea but what became of him?

I guess It's about the pool from which you choose from. There will always be great hopes placed on individuals but if there are a few of them you would hope that 1 or 2 will shine. It's not about expecting too much from Hamilton but keeping an eye on the likes of Gilmour, Hamilton, St Clair and the others.

1 minute ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I guess It's about the pool from which you choose from. There will always be great hopes placed on individuals but if there are a few of them you would hope that 1 or 2 will shine. It's not about expecting too much from Hamilton but keeping an eye on the likes of Gilmour, Hamilton, St Clair and the others.

I would say there is far more chance of the those youngsters breaking through in Scotland making it than those hoping to break through at United or another of the big EPL clubs due to the chances the players in Scotland will be able get than those in England.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would say there is far more chance of the those youngsters breaking through in Scotland making it than those hoping to break through at United or another of the big EPL clubs due to the chances the players in Scotland will be able get than those in England.

You are right. The likes of Cochrane should be seen as more of a prospect than Hamilton. However, I guess the EPL is at such a high level there's an assumption (not always correct) that to make it into the squad signifies a certain standard and hopes are raised too much.

3 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You are right. The likes of Cochrane should be seen as more of a prospect than Hamilton. However, I guess the EPL is at such a high level there's an assumption (not always correct) that to make it into the squad signifies a certain standard and hopes are raised too much.

It is the mere fact that chances will more readily come to young talents in Scotland than in England. English clubs are awash with cash and they put far more reliance on buying talent than developing it. Once they have spent obscene money on a player there is a much greater need for them to be proven worth the money so they will always be played before an unproven youngster. In Scotland that barrier isn't there - at most clubs.

Not sure if Mourinho is indicating that McTominay has no interest in an England call up, judging by his first comment, but he's urging McLeish to give him a call;

Mourinho was full of praise for Scott McTominay after #MUFC's FA Cup win - & believes the midfielder deserves more recognition. "Because it looks like England is missing him, if I was Alex McLeish the first thing I would do would to be [makes phone gesture] come to me" (via MUTV) https://t.co/YoJzNWau3o

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild