Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 40 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

20 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Any chance that Hanley might have improved?

Problem is the Hanley haters hate him and that's it.

He was pretty young for an international defender when he was"murder" He was a good player for Blackburn and appears to be a good player for Norwich maybe he has matured?

Didn’t watch the Norwich FA cup game on TV last week then. 

47 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Didn’t watch the Norwich FA cup game on TV last week then. 

How many of his other games have you watched this season?

Seems to be playing pretty well according to people that have  seen him play more often than one game on the TV this season.

He is a professional football player who gets paid a lot of money to play football if he was as bad as you make out out he would have been found out years ago.

Hanley/Norwich conceded just 1 goal after playing 180 minutes against Chelsea. Admittedly, Hanley looked to be out of position for the goal, but he is still a solid Championship-level defender. And Mick is spot on:

On 28/01/2018 at 11:06 PM, PASTA Mick said:

You say that but I think if Hanley was at the same club at any of those 6, he would be in the starting XI, and in most cases, ahead of those 6 players. 

13 hours ago, davew said:

Hanley/Norwich conceded just 1 goal after playing 180 minutes against Chelsea. Admittedly, Hanley looked to be out of position for the goal, but he is still a solid Championship-level defender.

That's a fair comment, he is.  But we're going to need to find someone capable of cutting it at a higher level if we're going to progress.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Pinning our hopes on souttar doesn't look like a good idea. 

I've never got the hype about him.  

That's not true, I do get it - people are desperate to see a top class Scottish centre-half emerge.  From what I've seen of John Souttar so far though, he ain't it.  I hope I'm wrong and he lives up to the hype though.

45 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Was he actually playing right back though ? Last time I saw him he was right midfield.

right mid is his best position, by far, but he could do as good a job as we have at right back. Great threat at corners and set pieces.

If we play a back 3, he will be right wing back for some time to come.

On the keeper side of things, Jon McLaughlin was outstanding today, and has been very solid since the signed for hearts. 

With Gordon injured, i would say he should be called up. Much younger than the rest of our keepers and seems very solid

Thoughts?

Watched a couple of Cardiff games with Paterson playing in this attacking midfielder role. Cardiff seem to play pretty direct and having Paterson playing in this position really helps them. 

They’re always looking for him to use his physicality  to receive a long ball to nod or flick on to a teammate. If he’s not doing this he’s looking to make an untracked run into the box. Has a got a decent long throw and is obviously good at attacking and defending set pieces. He very rarely takes a pass in midfield and tries to make a simple pass...think he averages about 10 passes a game but I think that’s just the way Cardiff play.

Dont think he’d be used in this position (unless we need to) for Scotland so hopefully he’ll remember how defend from right back/right wing back.