Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 36 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Seems enough of them on here calling for a recall for him.

There are the usual guys who would call up anyone who is playing in England. Point is I wouldn’t say he won over any great chunk of fans whilst in a Scotland jersey unlike Alexander who did

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

There are the usual guys who would call up anyone who is playing in England. Point is I wouldn’t say he won over any great chunk of fans whilst in a Scotland jersey unlike Alexander who did

Fair enough but there are lots like that and we all know it. Which brings us back to the pertinent point of not pre-judging players before they have actually played for us.

12 hours ago, jamboman said:

no! callum paterson should be our right back, even tierney playing there for me would be better than bardsley. 

The point is that many players selected for Scotland who fans think aren't good enough win the fans over with their performances. And on the other side of the coin players that fans want in and crow about turn out to be unmitigated flops or disasters for us.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Jesus Grant Hanley is bad.

Norwich 1-0 down after he ‘defends’ like he does for Scotland.

Souttar, McCrorie, Hendry, Lindsay & maybe McKenna should all be in the next squad ahead of him. 

Hanley is murder. I wouldn’t have him anywhere near our setup.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Agreed.

Id be happy with those younger lads listed above and Berra making up our centre backs going forward.

Stuart Findlay at Newcastle/Killie could be decent yet too? 

Hanley has had more chances than anyone to show even a glimpse of turning into a decent player. He’s failed. He’s a lower level player. Not his fault but a small nation like ours needs to build some steadiness from the back forward and it won’t happen with him. 

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

you could of course argue that he was part of a Norwich defence which let in one goal over 210 minutes against Chelsea. Maybe not the full Chelsea team but hey ho see what you want to see.

Did you watch the game!?

It was textbook Hanley. Defends acceptably enough and then a laughable mistake in his own box and 1-0 down.

Hes what, 27 this year... hardly a young player we hope will get better. 

20 minutes ago, scotlad said:

For me, centre forward is even more of a problem area than defence.  Outwith Griffiths there aren't many candidates at all to fill the position, not at the moment anyway. 

Agreed, I think McBurnie’s recent action for Swansea and impending loan move might see him promoted to the top squad. 

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

For me, centre forward is even more of a problem area than defence.  Outwith Griffiths there aren't many candidates at all to fill the position, not at the moment anyway. 

I guess Cummings has got his first Scotland cap in the last game, but his career has stalled at Forest. I think there is a big few months ahead of him now at Rangers to prove  that he can play at a higher level.

If Stevie May is to live up to his expectations, then he needs to do it now.

With Hibs specs on, I like the look of Ollie Shaw. Maybe a bit early for him, but one for the future.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Absolutely. Two years down the line I see centre half being very good indeed. Striker is the biggest problem. McBurnie, Callum Smith, Zak Rudden and Aitchison look promising from the youth sides. Cummings has a touch of the Mo Johnston's about him but his career could go either way at this point. 

Centre back still the biggest problem for me. We didn't really have a problem scoring goals in the last 2 campaigns. We would have made the play offs and possibly even qualified directly for 2016 if we had 2 quality centre backs. The latter half of the euro 2016 goals conceded were particularly soft.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

If Naismith starts banging them in for Hearts he could be an option as he’s only 31. 

Striker is only a problem if Griffith's gets injured. He is only 27 so we have him for next 5 or so years at least. We could do with a young striker to replace him eventually or as back up. Having watched mcburnie I don't think he will be good enough and will eventually end up in the English championship. Cummings isn't international level either. 

4 hours ago, JECK said:

Centre back still the biggest problem for me. We didn't really have a problem scoring goals in the last 2 campaigns. We would have made the play offs and possibly even qualified directly for 2016 if we had 2 quality centre backs. The latter half of the euro 2016 goals conceded were particularly soft.

It’s only the biggest problem if we pick players like Hanley.

We have promising centre backs at a good age who we can promote to the senior side now. 

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Did you watch the game!?

It was textbook Hanley. Defends acceptably enough and then a laughable mistake in his own box and 1-0 down.

Hes what, 27 this year... hardly a young player we hope will get better. 

Of course you could say he has just turned 26 and  has been man of the match in two out of his last three championship games (whoscored.com)

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

It’s only the biggest problem if we pick players like Hanley.

We have promising centre backs at a good age who we can promote to the senior side now. 

Aye "promising" and untried as yet and could be at Hanleys level or worse for all we know. Hence it's still the biggest problem. I'd agree though it's time to bring some new younger ones in and I'd imagine some will get a chance this year.