Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 35 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

Hopefully the trial of playing Tierney at CB against the Netherlands was a test to see how both him and Robertson can play together. Paterson had a blinder, how is as a RB at that level though? Can he move into RB for Scotland? Robbertson, Tierney, Paterson and _________ for a back 4? 

4 hours ago, McDange said:

Hopefully the trial of playing Tierney at CB against the Netherlands was a test to see how both him and Robertson can play together. Paterson had a blinder, how is as a RB at that level though? Can he move into RB for Scotland? Robbertson, Tierney, Paterson and _________ for a back 4? 

Gordon

Hanley     Mulgrew     Tierney

Paterson  Brown  Cairney  Robertson

Forrest     Griffiths     Fraser

4 hours ago, McDange said:

he was already in at right back for the start of the last campaign but just robbed of it by injury

patersons got so many years on bardsley , patersons the longer term choice

we need to sort the centre halves

a new manger might go 3-4-3, he mught go simlalr fomrmation as we played against england with three centre halves and tierney as one fo them, with robertson and paterson wing back / transition to left/right midlfield

no place for douglas in that though

9 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Gordon

ive just seen that now

yeah something like that

would have armstrong in over cairney

or is he ripping it up at fulham this season?

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Replace Hanley with Berra and I would be happy with that.

three left footed centre halfs is probably not a good thing

hanley was passable when played every week at blackburn

as a squad player he looks 10 yards off the pace

havent seen him but if playing at norwich we may be able to use him again

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

three left footed centre halfs is probably not a good thing

Why are ppl so worried about what foot a cb uses to kick with. I swear it never used to be an issue but now it seems to be one. Centre back is not a position that requires there to be a left and right footed balance imo. Just play our best centre backs even if they are all left footed or right footed

7 hours ago, davew said:

A wee while back Charlie Adam was complaining about being overlooked by Stachan:

What I never realised was that Bardsley was a Scotland regular before Stachan, but has only played 20 minutes of a friendly in the last 5 years.

7 hours ago, davew said:

A wee while back Charlie Adam was complaining about being overlooked by Stachan:

What I never realised was that Bardsley was a Scotland regular before Stachan, but has only played 20 minutes of a friendly in the last 5 years.

we used to play him at left back

we used to struggle to find a left back

14 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Gordon

:lol: I admire your persistence with Forrest, I really do but as much as he is often the star or one of the stars at celtic he isn't cutting it with Scotland. 

Edited by vanderark14

We need to try new players in defence. I'd call up both Souttar and McKenna for the next squad and give them 45 minutes each. 

I like the idea above of trying Tierney at left of 3 CB's too. We need to try different options in defence as nothing we've tried has been effective. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We need to try new players in defence. I'd call up both Souttar and McKenna for the next squad and give them 45 minutes each. 

I like the idea above of trying Tierney at left of 3 CB's too. We need to try different options in defence as nothing we've tried has been effective. 

Liam Lindsay and Cooper too, they might be suited to International football but we won't know till they are given a chance

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Liam Lindsay and Cooper too, they might be suited to International football but we won't know till they are given a chance

Liam Lindsay - definitely! Dunno how i forgot him, given i was calling for him to be called up 12 months ago! Last i checked he was getting positive write-ups at Barnsley too. 

16 hours ago, Bino's said:

Seemingly Hanley is playing well for Norwich. They got a shut out against Chelsea last week, and another shut out at the weekend against Bristol (whoscored even awarded Hanley MOTM in that game).

Norwich are apparently also playing 3 at the back at the moment.

Hanley and Cairney? FFS. 

Berra and Souttar playing well together at Hearts.

Mulgrew will always do well.  Wasted in 3rd tier.

Lindsay has potential.  

Cooper a regular at a classic "sleeping giant".

Tierney in a back 3 is possible.

Then there is McKenna, McCrorie and the other Rangers one who did v well as sub v Celtic.

It's looking better.

33 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cooper isn't good enough. Not even close. 

based on your judgement of players, I will reserve judgment until we see him in a Scotland shirt. Some players adapt well to international football and some don't......................like James Forrest. Great for his club but beyond shite for Scotland.

45 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I will reserve judgment until we see him in a Scotland shirt. Some players adapt well to international football and some don't...

That is a very pertinent point.

I recall on here the amount of people who used to berate Graham Alexander and Phil Bardsley for not being good enough but they won the fans over. On the other side of the coin you had somebody like Charlie Nicholas - a great talent at club level but rank for Scotland.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

50 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I recall on here the amount of people who used to berate Graham Alexander and Phil Bardsley for not being good enough but they won the fans over. On the other side of the coin you had somebody like Charlie Nicholas - a great talent at club level but rank for Scotland.

Nicholas wasn't even a great talent at club level - his first spell at Celtic excepted.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

When did Bardsley win the fans over? :blink: