Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 34 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

24 minutes ago, jamboman said:

How do we get Robertson and Tierney in the team? 

3 at the back? robertson left mid?

Maybe O'Neill can figure it out

It's a bit of a bummer having two of our best players in the same position. Robertson just edges it for me unless we play three at the back with Tierney as a cb.

I read a comment on twitter last week to the words of "why can't he play like this for Scotland" which I found amusing. He's never been a problem in a Scotland shirt and easily one of the best players in the last campaign, capped with a goal as well. Reeked of a Scots cringer.He's got a fair bit of fire in the belly/aggression now I've noticed in the red shirt, which I'm sure Klopp has brought out in him more. I have had a feeling for a while that the Robertson/tierney debate might crop up - the next manager simply has to find away to fit both in.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a bit of a bummer having two of our best players in the same position. Robertson just edges it for me unless we play three at the back with Tierney as a cb.

perhaps we can go back to our successful 4-1-4-1 formation and play robertson in front of tierney. 

Regardless we need these 2 players on the left 

Who is our best left mid player? Phillips? Na... Robertson in there

15 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Great performance by Andy Robertson. The new manager, whoever it is,  has a problem. He must accommodate Robertson and Tierney. Huge fan of KT but Robertson proving himself at a higher level. 

I think the new manager also has to have a look at Barry Douglas, and possibly even Joe Bryan aswell.

Maybe Tierney at CB, Robertson at LB and Douglas at LM?

On 13/01/2018 at 3:27 PM, killiefaetheferry said:

He looked in great form. Only watched bits and pieces but he was described at the end as 'excellent all afternoon.' And that's Cardiff into second place.

Glad to see Paterson doing well, but he's doing well as a midfielder, so I'm not convinced he's the solution to our RB problem.

2 hours ago, davew said:

Glad to see Paterson doing well, but he's doing well as a midfielder, so I'm not convinced he's the solution to our RB problem.

he's about the only right back we've got

and good with his head and long throws

can't see anything else but Paterson being in , Bardsley should though be in the squad too

I stick by what I said a few weeks ago. I honestly believe Bardsley has (privately) asked not to be considered for selection. I mean we have not heard a peep of protestation in the press from him or any coded messages in lead up to matches where he is hinting at being in form and ready for Scotland duty. For me that is far too weird.

4 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Robbie Savage described Robertson as 'brilliant' and Danny Murphy made a special mention of him. However you'd never have known from watching MOTD.

Aye virtually the only clips of Robertson I saw were of him losing his man for the last 2 City goals.

BBC online article singled Robertson out for praise:

This was all backed up by relentless pressing and harassing in midfield from players such as Emre Can, while Andrew Robertson subdued Raheem Sterling as he produced his best performance since his £8m summer move from Hull City.

There was no lack of effort from Sterling but little went right as he lost his battle with Liverpool left-back Robertson, who was outstanding.

18 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Kop chanting Robertson's name now. Sure sign he has played well. :headbang:

Noticed that watching the highlights, did a lot of the simple stuff well too, no unnecessary fancy shite.

18 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Been really impressed with Andy Robertson, having another great game for Liverpool the day. 

FB was full of folk saying how good he was just seen the highlights and been very impressed again.

I'd still go with Tierney at lb and Robertson ahead of him on the wing. Two of our best players

47 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I stick by what I said a few weeks ago. I honestly believe Bardsley has (privately) asked not to be considered for selection. I mean we have not heard a peep of protestation in the press from him or any coded messages in lead up to matches where he is hinting at being in form and ready for Scotland duty. For me that is far too weird.

A wee while back Charlie Adam was complaining about being overlooked by Stachan:

Full-back Bardsley is in the same boat. Now 30, he was a regular under Craig Levein, earning 12 caps but has only made one appearance as a sub in three years under Strachan.

Adam said: “He wants to be there too, but for some reason he is not in favour. He has good players ahead of him, like Alan Hutton, but Bardo played 10-12 games in a row at the end of the season and didn’t even get a sniff.

“Callum Paterson has had a good season so it’s not being in any way disrespectful to him. Phil doesn’t expect to go and definitely play, he just wants to be part of it.

“That’s what I don’t understand. Some guys who played under Craig have been pushed to the side.

“It’s a strange scenario as there’s nothing better than representing your country. I still get excited in the lead-up to squads being announced hoping I’ll be in it – then I get 
disappointed.

“Gordon has never phoned me. I have not had a conversation at all or a reason why I’ve not been involved.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/charlie-adam-baffled-gordon-strachans-8166188

What I never realised was that Bardsley was a Scotland regular before Stachan, but has only played 20 minutes of a friendly in the last 5 years.

Edited by davew