Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 31 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hearts solid defensive record is built on Berra more than souttar and I feel we should of been playing Berra alot more over the years as he was one of the best defenders in the English championship. 

I haven't seen Hearts recently, but I'm sure you're right about Berra. He's probably the best defender we have at the moment and has been for a couple of years now. I think the reason Strachan didn't fancy him (and maybe why an EPL team never took a chance on him) is that he's not much of a footballer (for example, even Hanley is better with the ball at his feet) and he commits a lot of fouls.

I want to see Lindsay capped at the next opportunity, but I've a feeling that he's a similar type of player to Berra.

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is it just me or did our defence not improve rather a lot after Mulgrew  came into the centre of defence?

Maybe I was watching a different set of qualifiers  to you.

Or maybe you are just another Scotland fan who decides how well a player plays before kick off.

we watched the same qualifiers and if you knew me you would know I never judge our players the way you think with the exception of James Forrest who seems to be one of these players who turns it on for his club but not his country. 

You are right about Mulgrew, the defence did improve however we still failed to qualify. Mulgrew is also playing in league 2, its no better or probably worse than our own league.  Mulgrew is part of a long line of failures, its time to blood the youngsters. Things are looking up in the CB position IMO . The only player I would have from the current failures is Berra but only because his partnership with Souttar is doing very well. 

As I mentioned above, Mulgrew is a big time charlie and always has been. Why would anyone want him being near our youngsters

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I agree with pretty much most of what yer saying but i think McKenna and souttar could potentially make the grade in the future as they are relatively young by centre back standards.

Aye, fingers crossed they both come thru in the future, all i was saying is that I don't think they're ready for competitive internationals right now, they both have things to work on in their game. Admittedly that goes for all our young centerbacks I just feel like Lindsay's further along and Bates has more potential (with the caveat that i don't want 'gers every week and it's perfectly possible i've only ever seen him on his best days. what i've seen i've liked tho).

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

we watched the same qualifiers and if you knew me you would know I never judge our players the way you think with the exception of James Forrest who seems to be one of these players who turns it on for his club but not his country. 

You are right about Mulgrew, the defence did improve however we still failed to qualify. Mulgrew is also playing in league 2, its no better or probably worse than our own league.  Mulgrew is part of a long line of failures, its time to blood the youngsters. Things are looking up in the CB position IMO . The only player I would have from the current failures is Berra but only because his partnership with Souttar is doing very well. 

As I mentioned above, Mulgrew is a big time charlie and always has been. Why would anyone want him being near our youngsters

Mulgrew plays in League One

1 GK David Harvey                     26   07 Feb 1948   Leeds United (ENG)
      2 DF Sandy Jardine                    25   31 Dec 1948   Glasgow Rangers
      3 DF Danny McGrain                    24   01 May 1950   Glasgow Celtic
      5 DF James Holton                     23   11 Apr 1951   Manch. United (ENG)
     14 DF Martin Buchan                    25   06 Mar 1949   Manch. United (ENG)
      4 MD Billy Bremner (c)                31   09 Dec 1942   Leeds United (ENG)
     10 MD David Hay                        26   29 Jan 1948   Glasgow Celtic
      8 FW Kenny Dalglish                   23   04 Mar 1951   Glasgow Celtic
      9 FW Joe Jordan                       22   15 Dec 1951   Leeds United (ENG)
     11 FW Peter Lorimer                    27   14 Dec 1946   Leeds United (ENG)
     20 FW William Morgan                   29   02 Oct 1944   Manch. United (ENG)

Scotland team verses Brazil 1974 before  all the friendlies and penalty kick qualifiers. So how did we introduce players then?

Edited by ceudmilefailte

14 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Barry douglas scored 1 and had an assist for wolves last night. Looks like theyre heading for the Epl 

This is mental ! How many left backs can we accommodate ? Could see Robertson at left midfield no prob, and if Tierney is at centre half or right back, maybe a place for Douglas, or maybe Douglas in another position. Is he versatile ? 

And no I don't mean can he do a rap as well as a wee bit Sinatra on the karaoke.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

1 GK David Harvey                     26   07 Feb 1948   Leeds United (ENG)
      2 DF Sandy Jardine                    25   31 Dec 1948   Glasgow Rangers
      3 DF Danny McGrain                    24   01 May 1950   Glasgow Celtic
      5 DF James Holton                     23   11 Apr 1951   Manch. United (ENG)
     14 DF Martin Buchan                    25   06 Mar 1949   Manch. United (ENG)
      4 MD Billy Bremner (c)                31   09 Dec 1942   Leeds United (ENG)
     10 MD David Hay                        26   29 Jan 1948   Glasgow Celtic
      8 FW Kenny Dalglish                   23   04 Mar 1951   Glasgow Celtic
      9 FW Joe Jordan                       22   15 Dec 1951   Leeds United (ENG)
     11 FW Peter Lorimer                    27   14 Dec 1946   Leeds United (ENG)
     20 FW William Morgan                   29   02 Oct 1944   Manch. United (ENG)

Scotland team verses Brazil 1974 before  all the friendlies and penalty kick qualifiers. So how did we introduce players then?

I wonder if we've ever fielded a better 11 than that?  

As for the game, Davie Hay was brilliant that night. We should've beat them.

15 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I wonder if we've ever fielded a better 11 than that?  

As for the game, Davie Hay was brilliant that night. We should've beat them.

Three world class players in that team.  We will wait a long time for that to happen again.

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

This is mental ! How many left backs can we accommodate ? Could see Robertson at left midfield no prob, and if Tierney is at centre half or right back, maybe a place for Douglas, or maybe Douglas in another position. Is he versatile ? 

And no I don't mean can he do a rap as well as a wee bit Sinatra on the karaoke.

Im sure douglas is playing midfield for wolves . They had a lad called Docherty at left back 

20 hours ago, andyD said:

Aye, fingers crossed they both come thru in the future, all i was saying is that I don't think they're ready for competitive internationals right now, they both have things to work on in their game. Admittedly that goes for all our young centerbacks I just feel like Lindsay's further along and Bates has more potential (with the caveat that i don't want 'gers every week and it's perfectly possible i've only ever seen him on his best days. what i've seen i've liked tho).

Yeh they are both a little bit short of international standard but hopefully that will change. Lindsay imo is player that really should be in the next squad and I think he will defo move onto bigger things than Barnsley with no disrespect to them but they are quite a poor team.

11 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Im sure douglas is playing midfield for wolves . They had a lad called Docherty at left back 

Douglas has been playing as a wing-back in a 3-4-3 for Wolves

Doherty plays right wing back afaik

15 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Barry douglas scored 1 and had an assist for wolves last night. Looks like theyre heading for the Epl 

Wolves with Douglas at left-back currently in 1st place

Derby with Forsyth at left-back currently in 2nd place

Bristol with Bryan at left-back currently joint 3rd

and Aston Villa in 5th place with Alan Hutton at left-back :lol:

3 hours ago, davew said:

Wolves with Douglas at left-back currently in 1st place

Derby with Forsyth at left-back currently in 2nd place

Bristol with Bryan at left-back currently joint 3rd

and Aston Villa in 5th place with Alan Hutton at left-back :lol:

And yet arguably none of these could get 1 cap between them ever if Tierny and Robertson stay fit. Ridiculous really