Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Any one give an opinion on how the Scottish players performed tonight?

Obviously up against real top class forwards but tonight was the worst ive seen Tierney play.  Could have done better on 3rd, 5th and 6th goal. Caught out of position, switched off at times which was punished by the movement and done very easily with pace. 

Has to be put in context but shows why he wont develop to his full potential in my opinion if he stays for much linger in Scotland. Simply put theres not 1 winger in Scotland was will test him defensively.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Obviously up against real top class forwards but tonight was the worst ive seen Tierney play.  Could have done better on 3rd, 5th and 6th goal. Caught out of position, switched off at times which was punished by the movement and done very easily with pace. 

Has to be put in context but shows why he wont develop to his full potential in my opinion if he stays for much linger in Scotland. Simply put theres not 1 winger in Scotland was will test him defensively.

Very true and a very good point.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Poor Celtic.  You have to feel sorry for them floundering so badly in a competition where the opposition have many times the resources. 

I don’t think Celtic feel sorry for the rest of the domestic league who can’t match their spending on transfer fees and wages.

Brandan Rogers is like a broken record making all the pre match about the financial gulf. To be honest you don’t hear Martin Canning or Owen Coyle bleating about the financial gulf before SPFL games.

I think this mediocre campaign from Celtic highlights just how average some of their players are and gives everyone a reality check on their domestic achievements.

i do agree with you though about feeling sorry for them, very hard group. 

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

God knows how he slipped under the radar, folk (myself included) were calling for him to be included for well over a year .

He was outstanding at Thistle in his last season. A much better option than Berra or Hanley.

He slipped under the radar because we had a woeful manager.

Strachan probably read that the fans wanted Lindsay called up and that was enough to result in the stubborn wee khunt never even considering him. 

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t think Celtic feel sorry for the rest of the domestic league who can’t match their spending on transfer fees and wages.

Brandan Rogers is like a broken record making all the pre match about the financial gulf. To be honest you don’t hear Martin Canning or Owen Coyle bleating about the financial gulf before SPFL games.

I think this mediocre campaign from Celtic highlights just how average some of their players are and gives everyone a reality check on their domestic achievements.

i do agree with you though about feeling sorry for them, very hard group. 

I don’t feel sorry for them in the slightest little bit.  They revel in this brave new world where footballing success means those with the biggest chequebook win every single time.  When they meet even bigger chequebooks it makes me smile. 

20 hours ago, andyD said:

I'm a fan of Lindsay and have said a fair few times that he should be called up.. but.. If we're honest should he really have been called up any time sooner than the Netherlands game?

His exclusion from the squad for the Netherlands was weird.. seemed like Mackay was trying to make a point by focussing his calls up on players from Scottish clubs, which is a bit silly, but oh well.

But should he really have been there fore Slovakia and Slovenia? I'd probably have been a little alarmed if he'd lined up for either of those games, given their importance and his lack of experience, not only at international level, but also that he'd really only had one really good season behind him at that point. No one in 2015 was saying "this kids got something".

For me he's had a standout season in the Scottish Premiership, that puts him on the radar. He's then moved down to the English Championship (which is a higher level) and he's looked accomplished in his dozen or so games there so far. To me this is the point at which he should be getting a call. He should have been in the Netherlands squad.. Hopefully he'll be in the next one.

He definitely should have been called up against Holland. IMO The earliest he could possibly have been called up before that was the Malta game. But at that point he'd played exactly 1 game for Barnsley.

Lindsay should have made his debut against the Netherlands, Liam Cooper too.

Malky Mackay is an idiot who couldn't be arsed doing his research properly. Omitted Lindsay and Cairney. Only used three out a possible six substitutions available to him and one of them was right near the end. Left Lindsay, Barrie McKay and Tom Cairney out of the squad. What a tool.

If we are calling up Charlie Mulgrew whilst he's playing for Blackburn in League One then we shouldn't we also look at Murray Wallace who is playing for Scunthorpe Utd in the same division ? Scunthorpe are actually above Blackburn in the table presently.

We can't afford to be snobbish about players just because they play for "unfashionable" clubs such as Barnsley or Scunthorpe.

21 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

A lot of people seem to think Murray Wallace is a CB. Saw highlights of Scunny the other weekend and he was playing as a left back.

Lindsay should be getting a call up in March anyway, something very wrong if he dosen't. Much more potential than Liam Cooper who is no better than Hanley imo.

He plays both positions. He's worth a look. Just like Charlie Mulgrew can play center back, left back and defensive midfield.

So what if he plays for rustic old Scunthorpe Utd ? I don't care what club a player plays for.

The days of a Scotland XI being made up of Celtic, Rangers, Liverpool, Leeds and Man Utd players is long gone.

Edited by SpiderAlba

18 hours ago, SpiderAlba said:

Lindsay should have made his debut against the Netherlands, Liam Cooper too.

Malky Mackay is an idiot who couldn't be arsed doing his research properly. Omitted Lindsay and Cairney. Only used three out a possible six substitutions available to him and one of them was right near the end. Left Lindsay, Barrie McKay and Tom Cairney out of the squad. What a tool.

If we are calling up Charlie Mulgrew whilst he's playing for Blackburn in League One then we shouldn't we also look at Murray Wallace who is playing for Scunthorpe Utd in the same division ? Scunthorpe are actually above Blackburn in the table presently.

We can't afford to be snobbish about players just because they play for "unfashionable" clubs such as Barnsley or Scunthorpe.

The reason Mulgrew gets a game from League 1 is because he is a well established international with years of Champions league experience. He is fully developed and therefore it isn't as important that he is in league 1. Same goes for Berra. Say what you will about Hearts and the SPFL, but Berra has a diverse background. I'm just glad we have 2 CBs playing regularly.

To suggest calling up mediocre, untested players from league 1 is absurd. Lindsay, as you say, is rightfully being considered. But I have no problem using Mulgrew until we can find a more suitable replacement

Lindsay had a poor game today but has looked good most of the time this season.still not sure if hes the answer to our centreback problems that we hoped, will have to see if he can hopefully step up to a higher level. he should definately be in our squads though as berra and mulgrew aint getting any younger. 

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Surely, another player well worth a look is Barry Douglas at Wolves. Playing at a decent level and first team regular who has a lot of experience playing across Europe.

If he played any position other than left-back he would be in the squad. 

7 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Ryan Gauld played 30mins against Porto tonight. Played OK...hopefully he’ll start getting regular action from now. 

Ah I did actually try to find him playing yesterday to see if he was over that injury but couldn't remember which team he signed for in Portugal

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lindsay had a poor game today but has looked good most of the time this season.still not sure if hes the answer to our centreback problems that we hoped, will have to see if he can hopefully step up to a higher level. he should definately be in our squads though as berra and mulgrew aint getting any younger. 

I think there may be a question mark over his pace, hence the lack of call up.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Ah I did actually try to find him playing yesterday to see if he was over that injury but couldn't remember which team he signed for in Portugal

It's Deportivo Aves.

Watched most of the game. As the other poster says he came on and did o.k.

Talking to a Portugese poster on another forum he says Gauld was playing well but then got injured and Aves changed their manager during his lay off so he's struggled to get back in.

Thinks he's a decent player but not sure he's the standard needed for Sporting Lisbon e.g. champions league quality.

Just hope he can get a regular game and give the next manager a decision to make.

On 22/11/2017 at 12:49 PM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Or maybe Klopp has had a look at him in training day in day out and thinks Moreno and Milner are better options? Maybe he is not "making some kind of point", maybe he is just using his managerial judgement on the 3 options he has for left back?

Maybe, but I personally doubt it.

Didn't get a sniff again today, he should seek a loan move for his own personal development regardless of whether Moreno and Milner are better options for Klopp.