Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

Some interesting words from Liam Lindsay:

Liam Lindsay hopes his switch to Barnsley can boost his prospects of a Scotland call-up.

He was the only non-Celtic or Aberdeen player in last season's SPL team.

He said: "That's partly why I moved down. I wasn't getting a sniff up there. I thought I'd come to England, a better league, better players so if I'm performing here then hopefully I'll get a call up."

Both John Stones and Alfie Mawson came through Barnsley's ranks.

14 hours ago, runningtings said:

If Robertson doesn't get in the team after tonight, he is as well seeking a loan move in January.

It seems that Klopp hasn't signed him and is making some kind of point by not playing him, very odd.

Or maybe Klopp has had a look at him in training day in day out and thinks Moreno and Milner are better options? Maybe he is not "making some kind of point", maybe he is just using his managerial judgement on the 3 options he has for left back?

49 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Or maybe Klopp has had a look at him in training day in day out and thinks Moreno and Milner are better options? Maybe he is not "making some kind of point", maybe he is just using his managerial judgement on the 3 options he has for left back?

Often think that especially when we start talking about " managers having their favourites. Lot easier to say " not international class" " waste of a shirt" should have been playing for us for years ago etc etc.

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Some interesting words from Liam Lindsay:

Liam Lindsay hopes his switch to Barnsley can boost his prospects of a Scotland call-up.

He was the only non-Celtic or Aberdeen player in last season's SPL team.

He said: "That's partly why I moved down. I wasn't getting a sniff up there. I thought I'd come to England, a better league, better players so if I'm performing here then hopefully I'll get a call up."

Both John Stones and Alfie Mawson came through Barnsley's ranks.

Totally agree, this guy should be in the team. Plays every week, goal threat at corners. How is he being overlooked?

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps purely as he is at a somewhat unfashionable club and has slipped under the radar. Players of his ilk are the sort we ought to be looking at now.

God knows how he slipped under the radar, folk (myself included) were calling for him to be included for well over a year .

He was outstanding at Thistle in his last season. A much better option than Berra or Hanley.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

God knows how he slipped under the radar, folk (myself included) were calling for him to be included for well over a year .

He was outstanding at Thistle in his last season. A much better option than Berra or Hanley.

It is undeniable really that players at lesser clubs are far less likely to be included than those playing for more fashionable clubs. The new manager (hopefully), whoever he is, will be capable of thinking out of the box and not be afraid of capping players who are in form but at less fashionable clubs.

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yup, should've been included long before now, particularly given the dearth of options we have in that position. 

I'm a fan of Lindsay and have said a fair few times that he should be called up.. but.. If we're honest should he really have been called up any time sooner than the Netherlands game?

His exclusion from the squad for the Netherlands was weird.. seemed like Mackay was trying to make a point by focussing his calls up on players from Scottish clubs, which is a bit silly, but oh well.

But should he really have been there fore Slovakia and Slovenia? I'd probably have been a little alarmed if he'd lined up for either of those games, given their importance and his lack of experience, not only at international level, but also that he'd really only had one really good season behind him at that point. No one in 2015 was saying "this kids got something".

For me he's had a standout season in the Scottish Premiership, that puts him on the radar. He's then moved down to the English Championship (which is a higher level) and he's looked accomplished in his dozen or so games there so far. To me this is the point at which he should be getting a call. He should have been in the Netherlands squad.. Hopefully he'll be in the next one.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

I'm a fan of Lindsay and have said a fair few times that he should be called up.. but.. If we're honest should he really have been called up any time sooner than the Netherlands game?

His exclusion from the squad for the Netherlands was weird.. seemed like Mackay was trying to make a point by focussing his calls up on players from Scottish clubs, which is a bit silly, but oh well.

But should he really have been there fore Slovakia and Slovenia? I'd probably have been a little alarmed if he'd lined up for either of those games, given their importance and his lack of experience, not only at international level, but also that he'd really only had one really good season behind him at that point. No one in 2015 was saying "this kids got something".

We've had 9 games in the last 12 months (and 11 days). 2 of which were home friendlies, one of which was a home game to Malta. He couldn't have been involved in these games? He couldn't have been involved in the squads for the other games (bear in mind our defence is filled with donkeys...)? 

Of course he could and should have. It's only Scotland who go through this nonsense of making promising players play 150 games and move clubs before we give them a chance. Laughable attitude.  

1 hour ago, andyD said:

For me he's had a standout season in the Scottish Premiership, that puts him on the radar. He's then moved down to the English Championship (which is a higher level) and he's looked accomplished in his dozen or so games there so far. To me this is the point at which he should be getting a call. He should have been in the Netherlands squad.. Hopefully he'll be in the next one.

Hiya, Gordon. Hiya, pal. 

How'd all those super-duper English Championship players serve us last time, or the time before, or the time before? 

Hard to gauge it really. The gulf in class rendered the game meaningless and rather dull. Champions' League is ruined now because of the superclubs.

FWIW Tierney looked tidy, as did McGregor. Gordon didn't have a hope with any of the goals IIRC (all right in the corner of deflections). Brown was done for pace more than once. Forrest was back to his old self - decent moments but largely directionless. 

As commentators correctly alluded to the big problem is Celtic's central defence. It is pitiful at Champions League level. As we know as Scotland fans that area of the pitch is key. Shore up that area and you become tougher to beat and competitive. As for the Scots on show I would say Gordon was possibly at fault for the first goal and maybe the 3rd (or was it fourth) when he was a tad slow coming off his line. Brown never got a foothold in midfield. McGregor didn't do too badly all things considered. Forrest was good in some areas less so in others and Tierney couldn't be blamed too much.

48 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Don’t even watch champions league any more... boring and predictable 

And it moved to BT Sports in recent years which I don't have.

I watched it less and less when it was on SS anyway as it's become more and more devalued and meaningless group games which will ultimately end up with the same 6 or 7 predictable quarter finalists with maybe one or two "surprises".

And I don't miss it either. Mostly meaningless crap now.

Edited by fringo