Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Alot of ppl turned their noses up at him going to burnley, my self included but he would probably be getting played every week there instead of not even getting on the bench at Liverpool.

You can’t turn down signing for a club like Liverpool. If it doesn’t work out then so be it but he’d have had regrets for the rest of his life if he had turned them down. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

True but its not much good if you don't even get on their bench.

Yeah but unless he’s got some serious fortune telling skills he wasn’t to know he’d be in this position. 

He’s obviously got confidence in his own ability and will still believe he can break into the team. 

No way could Robertson turn Liverpool down in favour of Burnely. Even if it doesn't work out for him there, and it's still relatively early days, then he'll still get a move to a club at Burnley's level when he leaves Anfield.

From what I've read about Robertson I'd imagine he's the type of guy who will know what Klopp wants from him and will be knocking his pan in trying to develop whatever the shortcomings may be. On that basis, I wouldn't be surprised to see him force his way into the team and stay there once he gets there.

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Where does it say he’s eligible? 

18 year old centre mid at Chelsea. 

He played for Scotland U15s so I guess he must still be eligible for us. 

His nationality is listed as English and Scottish on tranfermarkt.com. 

3 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

The way Tierney played last night, Robertson not figuring at Liverpool isn't an issue. Tierney outstanding at LB and should be playing in that position for us. Not sure what to do with Robertson though....

have them both down the left and an actual right back a right back. tierney must hate being played there, he doesn't offer anything and must cringe at the thought of scouts seeing him play there. 

45 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

have them both down the left and an actual right back a right back. tierney must hate being played there, he doesn't offer anything and must cringe at the thought of scouts seeing him play there. 

they're both attack minded, and I could imagine they'd get in each other's road. But there's an ideal opportunity to try it out in a couple of weeks vs Netherlands

53 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

Paterson being back should mean he comes back into the team. We've not really had any others options whilst he has been injured. 

4 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

The way Tierney played last night, Robertson not figuring at Liverpool isn't an issue. Tierney outstanding at LB and should be playing in that position for us. Not sure what to do with Robertson though....

For most of the 1970s we had two exceptional right backs, Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain.  One of those - McGrain - was world class and that's not a phrase I use lightly.  

Our options at left back were much more limited and fortunately the world class right back was capable of playing on the left and so McGrain played there and didn't look out of place.  

I'm not for one second saying that Tierney and Robertson are as good as McGrain and Jardine were - they are not - but the situations are comparable.

There are two questions.  Firstly, is Tierney a better option at right back than the other alternatives available - currently I would say Yes.   Secondly, is the trade off of lessening Tierney's effectiveness by playing him out of position outweighed by having a more balanced and stronger midfield.  That's a more difficult question and I'd say you would look at on a game by game basis, ie, if you were playing opponents who had a strong right attacking right side, you might want to play Tierney at left back to counter that.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tierney has been good enough at right back. This myth that he hasn't been playing well at rb has grown arms and legs on here. He would still be my first choice right back as he does the fundamentals of defending well. 

he was poor at the slovakia game, he got himself in a right mess in the second half, got turned inside out at one point and then gave the ball away which lead to a break. he is half the player at right back and is completely wasted there as he is one of our best players. get paterson in at right back. 

18 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

he was poor at the slovakia game, he got himself in a right mess in the second half, got turned inside out at one point and then gave the ball away which lead to a break. he is half the player at right back and is completely wasted there as he is one of our best players. get paterson in at right back. 

Who else would you have played in that game?

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Who else would you have played in that game?

In keeping with the current trend of anyone who plays for Hibs being good enough for Scotland, don't be surprised if the answer is David Gray, Steven Whittaker or Franck Sauzee :lol:

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

Personally I thought he played ok in that match. Didn't exactly have that bad a game considering they barely had any chances on goal. At the end of the day Tierney imo is better at right back than our other options so for me he should continue there unless we play three at the back then he can play at CB.