Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Matt Ritchie looked excellent for Newcastle today.

From what I could see on the telly, he looked fit, eager, hungry and put himself about quite a bit. He hassled players into making mistakes, did not give them time, worked hard and created opportunities for others. His crossing looked dangerous. No doubt on Saturday he will be pish......

Johnny Russell scored a belter into the bottom corner yesterday, shame it was into his own goal......

First time id seen John Fleck. Always looked to make himself available for the ball, played the simple passes well. Tidy enough player and didn't look out of his depth. 

Martin came on with about 20 mins to go and didn't get any real service. You can tell he is getting frustrated sitting on the bench each week. 

3 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

He's looked quality this season what I've seen. He's gonna struggle to get past other guys looking for that position I think though. Realistically he's only been doing this for a dozen games or so. Tom cairney has earned a shot at it for sure. Likelihood of strachan giving him a shout are slim.

Best he can do is help keep Aberdeen pinned to the top of the table and continue to deliver matchwinning performances. It'll either earn him a call up or a recall to Celtic where - if he's playing - he'd surely have a great chance of breaking into the national squad.

2 hours ago, Boboblanko said:

From what I could see on the telly, he looked fit, eager, hungry and put himself about quite a bit. He hassled players into making mistakes, did not give them time, worked hard and created opportunities for others. His crossing looked dangerous. No doubt on Saturday he will be pish......

He can be pish all he wants on Saturday ?

Not sure why folk on here are suggesting Darren Fletcher is finished - you must be mad

watching the game today he was extremely influential as he was last week against Arsenal.

how may players do we have playing at this level.........

Edited by sandyb
Mi

21 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Robertson not even on the bench for Liverpool today . Strange after playing well last week 

I was surprised about that too.  Not that they're missing him - they're currently humping Arsenal! 

2 hours ago, sandyb said:

You must be one of the mad ones...or just naive 

How am i ?cannot remember fletcher having a good game for scotland in recent times.

2 hours ago, sandyb said:

Not sure why folk on here are suggesting Darren Fletcher is finished - you must be mad

watching the game today he was extremely influential as he was last week against Arsenal.

how may players do we have playing at this level.........

Matt Ritchie, Ryan Fraser, Oliver Burke, James Morrison, James McArthur, Matty Phillips....no' bad !

3 hours ago, sandyb said:

watching the game today he was extremely influential

Can you elaborate on what he did that was influential? No doubt will see on highlights tonight, but would be good to hear from somebody that has seen the whole match.

I am in the camp that he is finished, but have an open mind to compelling evidence to the contrary.

45 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Can you elaborate on what he did that was influential? No doubt will see on highlights tonight, but would be good to hear from somebody that has seen the whole match.

I am in the camp that he is finished, but have an open mind to compelling evidence to the contrary.

He's playing every week for an EPL team. How can he possibly be finished?

By every objective criteria, he obviously has something to give. It's not like his continued inclusion is keeping some wonder-kids out the team.

Edited by norsefox

31 minutes ago, norsefox said:

He's playing every week for an EPL team. How can he possibly be finished?

By every objective criteria, he obviously has something to give. It's not like his continued inclusion is keeping some wonder-kids out the team.

Finished starting for Scotland, I think folk are talking about. Playing in the English Premier League doesn't give you an automatic pass into the Scotland starting 11.

Every objective measure? I'm not sure about that one. Going forwards - I can't remember the last time he contributed a goal or an assist for Scotland. Defensively - an increasing number of short comings are creeping into his game (weak tackles, slack passes and poor tracking) for example he was culpable for England's third at Wembley. His recent objective performance for Scotland has been the very opposite of where I would rate him 10-15 years ago. It has been poor-average I'm  afraid. 

If there are reasons to maintain his inclusion in the Scotland squad they are subjective eg his professionalism and positive influence on younger players. 

Like I said I have an open mind. But you need to back up you claim of having every objective measure in Fletcher's favour. Because I think that is an exaggeration and untrue. 

18 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Watching Sportscene  - Scott Bain was fantastic. Certainly getting match practice and called upon more than our current keepers

He was I think there is too much emphasis on experience on the bench. Small point but I would say it is only Gordon that is having an easy time of it

On 26/08/2017 at 9:28 PM, Tartan Chris said:

Amazed he's still at Blackburn, far too good for league one.

Barrie McKay had another good game for Forest tonight. Am I the only one on here bemused he didn't get a call up, he is the definition of an in form player.

Yeah i thought McKay may have got a call. great start to the season, shows the difference playing in an organised team with a bit of confidence, there is defos a very good player there. Hopefully he keeps it up and gets recalled soon