British Open - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Open

dan cake

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I don't know the technicalities of how they measure slow play. But in my book, if folk are fannying aboot on the tee for 5 minutes every hole, before playing their shots, then they will be getting telt to get a fukin move on. Their balls aren't in play until after they have teed off at each hole. 

The R&A and USPGA are currently on a mission to try to speed up the pace of play. Making an example of some of the top golfers, who are far too slow, would help to send the right message to club golfers, IMO.

This probably wouldn't be the right incident to use as an example but they need to start doing something about top guys being too slow.

I agree 100%, especially with the last part, too many people on local courses think they're pros and line up everything to the millimetre and bang it wide into the shit and look at outta from 4 or 5 angles, just hit the fvcking thing will you.....

Its obviously something that doesn't happen very often, so when spieth asked for a ruling, no one knew. 

This gives him time to find loopholes in the rules, which he did. As someone said earlier, if he wasn't the last tee off time, he would've been on the clock. 

I doubt we will ever see an incident like it again once the rules are changed accordingly. 

18 hours ago, Bino's said:

I don't think he should have been able to deem it unplayable and take a penalty drop

he found the ball and you could see it, should have had to try and chop it out

As someone else has said, the player is the sole arbiter of whether his ball is playable. At any point, he can opt, under penalty of one stroke, play ball from place of last stroke, drop within two club lengths or play ball from anywhere on a line behind ball and in line with the flag. He could be in the middle of the fairway and choose to do any of the above if he so wishes. He's gaining no advantage from doing so as he accept a penalty stroke but Jordan was well within his rights to do so and well within his rights to drop between the trucks, which wouldnt otherwise have been there.

I've absolutely no issues with what he did (and incidents such as this are useful primers on the rules of golf), but in such conditions there absolutely should be a strict time limit from hitting a tee shot and playing next stroke - the absence of such a time limit meant Spieth was afforded more time than would have been afforded to a player not in the last group.

Along with the "ready golf" initiative in rule modernisation, players should be afforded 8/10/12 minutes from tee to green on par 3/4/5 holes respectively Within reason, players should play when they are ready to play and not wait on others. Once on green, usual playing order is observed. Once ball on green, no longer on clock.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

I agree 100%, especially with the last part, too many people on local courses think they're pros and line up everything to the millimetre and bang it wide into the shit and look at outta from 4 or 5 angles, just hit the fvcking thing will you.....

Its obviously something that doesn't happen very often, so when spieth asked for a ruling, no one knew. 

This gives him time to find loopholes in the rules, which he did. As someone said earlier, if he wasn't the last tee off time, he would've been on the clock. 

I doubt we will ever see an incident like it again once the rules are changed accordingly. 

Aye, next time the Open goes back there, they will probably make the practice area "out of bounds". They didn't expect anybody to be playing from there, so they just left it as "in bounds" as it is for locals. I don't think they will change the other two rules that he used because of this, though.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fringo said:

Is there no TV coverage of US PGA which starts today ?

Usually on sky but can't see anything advertised for today.

It's on BBC 2 on the red button from half 6, thenlive coverage from about half 11 for an hour !!

It was good watching Justin Thomas on the verge of crumbling at every hole but then just managing to keep it together to scramble his way to winning. Of course it helped him that everybody else was dropping daft shots all over the place.