The Flow Of People To Yes - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Flow Of People To Yes

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeeso they're coming every day - a former Uni friend of more than 20 years (but now mostly Facebook) rebuked me last year quite strongly for posting something mildly pro-Yes. She just posted today she is voting Yes and is excited about it.... middle class school teacher, hope she's working on her 5th/6th years, I know my sons history teacher is !!

2 guys I know were both NOs, then did a fair bit of reading and now both strong YES, so much so they share the majority of posts re Indy on FB and Twitter now.

My kids' high school had a mock poll in April of those eligible to vote and it was 70% No which was depressing, but not surprising as I believe East Lothian is polling one of the lowest Yes returns. Daughter is in 6th year and said that since returning after summer hols there has been a significant swing to Yes. They were on Sky News this morning, was hoping they'd do another poll but sadly not. I've seen several similar posts on Twitter about schools across the country, here's hoping the parents are doing the same!

Was told a similar story by the head teacher at one of the schools in my area. Also, my son tells me that there has been a massive movement to Yes among people at his school (when they had their debate a few months ago it was about 75% No). There are too many of these anecdotes from all round the country for it not to be happening.

Just had it confirmed by my pal on facebook who was undecided but leaning towards no that sh'll be voting YES. I'd worked on her for months, her daughters and husband too tried to change her mind but she was very fearful of Indy due to the scare stories, I'd printed off loads of stuff for her, sent her a copy of the wee blue book but what swung it for her was listening yo Elaine C Smith last night.

Edited by neilly71

Undecided boy in my work confirmed today that him and his wife who were both veering to NO voted YES thru the postal vote. Wee Blue Book download I sent him convinced them over the weekend.

Now working on a soft No in the work that wants facts and figures, have been happy to oblige him. When people are sitting down and really putting all for and against together, they are coming out for YES. Its our duty to keep it going, seek out the undecideds and No's and talk to them honestly, they will come over.

I'd argued with my ex's dad about Independence loads. He is staunch Labour (old labour) and was always naw, tonight I saw on Facebook he's obviously Yes. Plus her maw and wee sister will copy him. I'd like to think I started the journey to those 3 votes being Yes.

I'm convinced we'll do this.

Have noticed a few folk that were and have always been No switching to Yes. I'm surprised, nee stunned at it especially since one of them is a known Orange sympathiser. I know a few have had enough of being told repeatedly that Scotland can't do it and have grown tired of the negativity, they've been swayed almost exclusively by the No campaign that aims to keep them. :-))

The profile pic on fb of "don't believe their pish and vote yes" has been more prominent with friends who were No's until recently.

English friend of my parents from Sunderland who was always vehemently No (my Mum and Dad once had a silly drunken fall-out with him over it all (he came out with Daily Mail commenter type stuff)) posted on Facebook yesterday that he's voting Yes.

I sent him the 'English Scots For Yes' facebook group link, which he's now sharing stuff from.

About as damsacene conversion as you could get. :ok:

Belfast born & bred from a distinctly unionist family told me today that I'd got her! sent her Yes vote away by post! :ok:

THey're still coming, since Salmonds dismembering of Darling I have honestly lost count of the number of surprise Yesses I've had!

Exciting..

Bit of a hollow victory as my brother in law lives in Norwich and doesn't have a vote, However.......

He's always been very cynical and (A wee bit) patronising towards our independence. (He's a clever lad, the most intelligent on my wife's side - Apart fae her that is!)

Anyway, I've been drip feeding him links, quotes and live examples of the lies and scares for the best part of 2 years now.

Yesterday he admitted that if he lived in Scotland he would vote YES.

Even English residents are flowing from NO to YES for the right reasons, not just throwing their toys out of the pram in the huff.........

Seen some great turn arounds in some folk and Im sure Ive got one or two I can still turn around before the poll.

However, and without wanting to p*ss on everyone's parade, there's still a big entrenched No vote out there. Noticed one mate bleating on Facebook about the increase in referendum stuff on Facebook and wishes folk would, effectively, shut the f*ck up. Typical No voter: head in the sand, not interested in speaking about it, can't wait for it to end, blah, hate Salmond, blah. Fair enough, there's just some people you cannot force to engage in the debate. However, it is quite disconcerting when you seen the number of Likes such a post attracts - much higher than I thought it would. Of course, it's in no way scientific, but it's a reminder that there are pockets of people with their head down who are 100% No and hate the rest of us for having the temerity to question or threaten their lifestyle.

A wee reminder that there's probably a lot of confirmation bias going on and we need to keep at it for the next two weeks.