Josh Taylor - Page 9 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

They were mouthing off at each other last night during the eubank jnr v Smith fight

The fight last night was a complete shock, I never saw that coming

Yeah, having Taylor and Catterall doing that after the report earlier in the day was strange. All I'll say is nothing has been officially announced by the lead promoter of the show, Boxxer yet. I guess since the tickets were going on sale on the 26th January we should expect formal clarification between now and then.

As for last night, I though Eubank Jr would have been too big and swift for a shop-worn Smith last night. Maybe he's been overrated all these years due to the family name.

Edited by morrie21

19 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Yeah, having Taylor and Catterall doing that after the report earlier in the day was strange. All I'll say is nothing has been officially announced by the lead promoter of the show, Boxxer yet. I guess since the tickets were going on sale on the 26th January we should expect formal clarification between now and then.

As for last night, I though Eubank Jr would have been too big and swift for a shop-worn Smith last night. Maybe he's been overrated all these years due to the family name.

Eubabk Jnr is certainly not a patch on his dad which may or may not have been pretended he was. This was his third defeat in 35 fights. His dad lost his first match in his 44th fight. I'd say too that his dad fought in a more competitive era too with the likes of Nigel Benn, Michael Watson, Steve Collins, Barrera and Jiminez to name but a few around.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case anyone missed it Taylor v Lopez has been confirmed for June 10 in the small room at Madison Square Garden. I'm pretty sure they would have done big room but it is likely that will be in use for either an NHL or NBA playoff game.

• 4 weeks later...

Just over three weeks away from Taylor-Lopez in New York. Bit of coverage on Taylor this week, training camp footage etc. He does look really sharp and ready. Night and day compared to how he looked before the Catterall fight last year. I'm confident Taylor's new team are getting the best out of him, I'm confident he will absolutely batter Teofimo Lopez.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:50 PM, morrie21 said:

Just over three weeks away from Taylor-Lopez in New York. Bit of coverage on Taylor this week, training camp footage etc. He does look really sharp and ready. Night and day compared to how he looked before the Catterall fight last year. I'm confident Taylor's new team are getting the best out of him, I'm confident he will absolutely batter Teofimo Lopez.

i hope you are right, however going by the judges in the Loma Haney fight, taylor may well need a stoppage 

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed Josh wearing his Scotland top in last nights face to face (good lad)

Weigh in today could be tasty, looking forward to a much better performance that at the Hydro last March, best of luck Josh !!!

Absolutely brutal viewing for Taylor fans that. Getting comprehensively outboxed from round 4/5 onwards and couldn't do anything about it despite solid instructions and ideas on how to do that from his corner.

At the start of the fight Taylor employed a nice looking body attack, then he abandoned it somewhere around the third and just started loading up with one off head shots. Worst thing he ever did was move away from Shane McGuigan, he regressed so much under Davison and well here we are. McNally is a good trainer but maybe what he's working with is the problem.

As good as he looked in prep for this one and at the weigh-in, he looked drained in there last night. Is the weight cut to 140 just too much now?

Or, are we watching a fighter who put so much into his steep climb to the top that this is what we are left with? Hopefully that isn't the case but we can't rule it out after his last two performances.

Lopez was a worthy winner in my eyes, so congratulations to him.

Edited by morrie21

No complaints about that decision.

In many ways it was similar to Cattrall fight where he was just not throwing enough telling shots and was outworked and out-fought and out-thought by his opponent. One decent shot here and there in a round is not going to win you decisions especially in the States.

The best fighter won. Taylor with serious thinking to do now on where he goes from here.

Another thing, Taylor has always wanted to box at MSG, and with the recent Ken Buchanan passing and mention of him in the build-up to this one, to go and perform like that, in that building in front of the NY and most of the American fight writers is bitterly disappointing for Taylor. It could haunt him for a while.

9 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Another thing, Taylor has always wanted to box at MSG, and with the recent Ken Buchanan passing and mention of him in the build-up to this one, to go and perform like that, in that building in front of the NY and most of the American fight writers is bitterly disappointing for Taylor. It could haunt him for a while.

Just watched it the now, yup gave it up without a “fight” 

On 6/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, morrie21 said:

You will know better than me Morrie so I am interested in your view point here. I get the impression Taylor gets a lot of unfair criticism and this is a result of the extremely controversial Catterrall fight. No doubt a lot of it will be fuelled by the english media. Had the opponent not been english I suspect the back lash would not be quite so bad. Taylor can hardly be blamed for it too, the judges made the decision not Taylor

47 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You will know better than me Morrie so I am interested in your view point here. I get the impression Taylor gets a lot of unfair criticism and this is a result of the extremely controversial Catterrall fight. No doubt a lot of it will be fuelled by the english media. Had the opponent not been english I suspect the back lash would not be quite so bad. Taylor can hardly be blamed for it too, the judges made the decision not Taylor

If I may interject, the British media are kings at building people up and knocking them down. They've done it to all nationalities of sportsmen too as Lewis Hamilton is an example.

True the Catterall result was not Taylor's performance but his poor performance was his fault. By all accounts he was in great nick going into this fight both mentally and physically but, again, he just did not deliver. Again Taylor must be questioned as to why that is. 

In these last two fights in particular he has not done enough eye-catching work to win enough rounds to win him the fights. Sporadic and very bitty and surrendering the initiative is how I'd describe the performances and not willing to lay enough on the line.

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I dunno really. Taylor didn't really do anything wrong apart from say he believed he won the fight against Catterall. I'm not too sure what other boxers would have said after a close fight either. Things got out of hand badly after that resulting in trolls online publishing the address of his wife#s place of work and her and other members of his family receiving death threats.

I think in general, even when he was winning, performing well and tearing it up on the way to becoming undisputed the media here didn't really like him. He is a bit stand-offish and can be spiky at times. The incident at the Edinburgh nightclub after he'd been on the bevvy all day also did his image no favours.

I'm not sure if that answered your question or not. There is more boxing specific stuff in the article I just posted above. My pen was busy writing that.

• 8 months later...

The re-match now confirmed for April - the two pressers have been pretty tasty with a fair bit of needle.

If I wasn't going to the Euro's I would be travelling down for it. . . . . hopefully a clear victory this time for Taylor, because I thought he was a very luck boy last time.