Cleaning Decking - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Help me out here? Is your decking wood? If so, is it treated? Painted? Stained? Is it fake wood(plastic)?

power wash can do more damage than good the majority of the time. Try and shy away from that.

Edited by Ormond

Thanks for all the comments and hints. Its a wooden decking that was last cleaned and treated around 10 years ago. I have been looking at soda crystals and vinegar in water and basically scrubbing it and then using the jet washer to clean it off. The comments re the washer being  set too powerful are valid. That is how I damaged the hand rails on the decking last time. These now have to be replaced.

6 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Thanks for all the comments and hints. Its a wooden decking that was last cleaned and treated around 10 years ago. I have been looking at soda crystals and vinegar in water and basically scrubbing it and then using the jet washer to clean it off. The comments re the washer being  set too powerful are valid. That is how I damaged the hand rails on the decking last time. These now have to be replaced.

It's my profession. For over two decades now. Do not use a powerwasher. 

Funny - my brother in law asked me the exact same question earlier. 

Poor maintenance from the outset always comes back to bite you. I recently put decking down and was sure to properly apply oil etc. 

Would always advise against painting but if it's already down probably worth sanding and painting after some prolongned dry weather?

What people forget is that they have a dry day, feel the wood and think as it's dry it's great to paint. Baws. The inside of the wood will still be wet if it's been raining two to three days prior. The new applied paint won't then allow the moisture out.

On 04/07/2017 at 9:03 PM, Ormond said:

It's my profession. For over two decades now. Do not use a powerwasher. 

You've been doing that for 2 decades??

What did you do for the first 15 years after leaving school????