Traditional boozers in Glasgow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traditional boozers in Glasgow

Can anyone recommend some good traditional boozers in the centre of Glasgow, preferably within 10mins of Central Station?

My faither in law is coming to visit next week, and I was going to take him on a wee pub crawl after I pick him up from the station

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Horseshoe Bar in Drury Lane or the Rhoderick Dhu in Waterloo Street. There's a cracking pub across the road from the Rhoderick Dhu which was a really shitty old mans pub but got brought into a decent state which was called The Hope but I know it's re-branded and I haven't been in since. However, it had a cracking array of beers and the food is good.

There are plenty of traditional boozers within walking distance of Central Station in the sense that the vast majority are traditionally guff. There are a few decent boozers however like The Pot Still and The Admiral, The Wetherspoons (Crystal Palace and Sir John Moore) are run of the mill boozers but do have a really good selection of beer and thats about it I reckon.

There are a few good other boozers like Stereo, The Old Hairdressers, and Tabac although they are a bit more aimed towards a younger crowd and their prices aren't exactly cheap.

It's maybe I wee bit more than a ten minute walk but the state just off Sauchie all St is good very similar to the horseshoe bar.the butterfly and pig has some decent ale although not really  a traditional pub

1 hour ago, Maq said:

Can anyone recommend some good traditional boozers in the centre of Glasgow, preferably within 10mins of Central Station?

My faither in law is coming to visit next week, and I was going to take him on a wee pub crawl after I pick him up from the station

The State if your father-in-law is a quick walker - possibly include the Pot Still - that's it really. Glasgow city centre is incredibly shit for 'traditional' boozers. 

I'm a regular in the Horseshoe but that's down to convenience - the beer isn't terribly good. 

Was reading an article about the Mitre (the first Canadian PM was born in the building - long before it contained a boozer) which brought back fond memories - that was a proper boozer - the interior can now be found in the Riverside Museum. 

Edited by Charlie Endell

1 hour ago, jenblueeyes said:

The Horseshoe Bar in Drury Lane or the Rhoderick Dhu in Waterloo Street. There's a cracking pub across the road from the Rhoderick Dhu which was a really shitty old mans pub but got brought into a decent state which was called The Hope but I know it's re-branded and I haven't been in since. However, it had a cracking array of beers and the food is good.

The Hope was a good bar but it's now called the Smokin' Fox.  Apparently it's quite similar inside (I haven't been in since the name change either) but the Smokin' Fox is a terrible name for a pub!

The Horseshoe Bar, The Pot Still on Hope St (it's usually mobbed on a Friday!) Sloans on Argyle St and Ross's on Mitchell Lane are traditional style pubs not far from Central Station.  Hootenannys on St Enoch Sq is alright too; they usually have music on.  

Slightly more than 10 minutes from Central Station, you have the Griffin on Bath St, the Variety Bar round the corner on Elmbank St and the State Bar on Holland St, which are worth a look.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

Passed Roddy Black's this morning - it's getting a full refit and is currently closed. 

Not before time! :lol:

It must be three or four years since I was last in there and it was looking tired even then.

Down Jamaica Street and in to MacSorleys, then cross the road for one in The Imperial on Howard St.  Keep going along that street, perhaps dropping in for a pint in Hootenanys.  At the end of the road you are pretty much at the Scotia which doesn't get more traditional.  Ending up across the road in The Clutha where you have a good chance of catching some live music. ;)

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

The Pot Still and The State are both lovely old pubs.

Agreed. Great whisky selection in the Pot Still.

I once got served there by man of many clubs Iain Ferguson. Can't imagine many players with his ability these days will end up pulling pints...

Suppose what you mean by "Traditional" (ie tourist trap or "jaikey bar".....) but suppose like mentioned here, Horseshoe Bar, Sloans, Hootenannies and Pot Still..... also the Alpine Lodge on Hope Street has a old Glasgow feel to it, with the Tody Jug just up the street.... and slightly further afield, Intermezzo and Atholl Arms on Renfield Street have their traditional charm.

Grant Arms, Alpine Lodge and Toby Jug are full of jakies.  Awful places with awful punters.  Like a Peter Mullen film. Depressing.

I took my Dad into "Tabac" and it was definitely not his scene.  He kept thinking they had short changed us as they serve beers in schooners (2/3 of a pint).  It didn't help matters when we went to Bar Soba and I declared my love of their cocktails and tried to explain the food menu.

Pubs around the 2 train stations are pretty poor.

For traditional pubs I would pick

Horseshoe - its well known.  My Dad loves it but as I get older I like it less.  Maybe because I'm getting older like the punters! Is traditional, well run and a mix of clientele.

Sloans - claims to be oldest pub in Glasgow.  I'd say its nicer than Horseshoe with better food.

Drum & Monkey - decent ale selection. Nice old building.

Further afield I'd agree with Pot Still and State (brilliant place).

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

The Laurieston on Bridge Street.   Traditional as in a trip back in time, and brilliant.   Lovely folk run it and drink in it.   Unless a Sub Crawl crowd is in :lol:

Would agree with this if youre at Central Station - its a lovely old pub and the boy who runs it is brand new. Always have decent ale on tap.

The Toby Jug is horrendous. Like a head office for shoplifters.

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Agreed. Great whisky selection in the Pot Still.

I once got served there by man of many clubs Iain Ferguson. Can't imagine many players with his ability these days will end up pulling pints...

That was when it was under dodgy ownership... Fortunately it's now back in good hands - Frank, son of Brian Murphy, who used to run the Arlington on Woodlands Road.

I didn't even recognise Iain Ferguson as he had bulked up - he mentioned he was an ex pro and when I asked him which clubs he had played for I wasn't expecting him to say Hearts, Rangers and both Dundee clubs (I was thinking more along the lines of Albion Rovers!).

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Grant Arms, Alpine Lodge and Toby Jug are full of jakies.  Awful places with awful punters.  Like a Peter Mullen film. Depressing.

I took my Dad into "Tabac" and it was definitely not his scene.  He kept thinking they had short changed us as they serve beers in schooners (2/3 of a pint).  It didn't help matters when we went to Bar Soba and I declared my love of their cocktails and tried to explain the food menu.

Pubs around the 2 train stations are pretty poor.

For traditional pubs I would pick

Horseshoe - its well known.  My Dad loves it but as I get older I like it less.  Maybe because I'm getting older like the punters! Is traditional, well run and a mix of clientele.

Sloans - claims to be oldest pub in Glasgow.  I'd say its nicer than Horseshoe with better food.

Drum & Monkey - decent ale selection. Nice old building.

Further afield I'd agree with Pot Still and State (brilliant place).

I'd say you are being a bit unkind on the Alpen Lodge sticking it in with those two dives.

it's decent for a  quiet pint and jukebox is decent. No better than decent though!

11 hours ago, Potted Heid said:

Down Jamaica Street and in to MacSorleys, then cross the road for one in The Imperial on Howard St.  Keep going along that street, perhaps dropping in for a pint in Hootenanys.  At the end of the road you are pretty much at the Scotia which doesn't get more traditional.  Ending up across the road in The Clutha where you have a good chance of catching some live music. ;)

1 hour ago, virus-with-shoes said:

Would agree with this if youre at Central Station - its a lovely old pub and the boy who runs it is brand new. Always have decent ale on tap.

The Toby Jug is horrendous. Like a head office for shoplifters.

Acht, The Laurie is only 10mins from Central from under the bridge, and if that's too far, combine it with Potted Heid's tour.   Never been in the Imperial though; must give it a visit.

2 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

I didn't even recognise Iain Ferguson as he had bulked up - he mentioned he was an ex pro and when I asked him which clubs he had played for I wasn't expecting him to say Hearts, Rangers and both Dundee clubs (I was thinking more along the lines of Albion Rovers!).

I just sat with my pint looking over and thinking "I know that guy's face?" Eventually my fat lookalike processor got it sorted...