Athletics - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Athletics

Hertsscot

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Great 200m final there, although the slowest since 1983.

Anybody see Van Niekerk's interview there? :blink:

Some of these athletes finding out that doubling up is tougher than it sounds.  Also I could be wrong but seems to be less chance for athletes to recover, I'm sure in the Olympics e.g. often get  a rest day between races.  Anyhow good performances from several Scots last night, O'Hare, McColgan, Sharp, Wightman

Ah is that who won the 5000m? All I could tell from the coverage was that Farah finished 2nd.

Disappointing end for Bolt last night. Seem to be saying the extended wait to race might have had something to do with it.

Strange that the British Male and Female sprinters aren't exactly world beaters when it comes to the individual races but it seems to click for them in the relay. 

34 minutes ago, wellyman said:

Why is it now Great Britain & Northern Ireland ???  are they still not part of Great Britain or do they get a special mention as they prop up a Tory government.

They have never been part of Great Britain. However, they are part of the United Kingdom. No idea why athletics don't use UK instead of GB & NI.

38 minutes ago, min said:

They have never been part of Great Britain. However, they are part of the United Kingdom. No idea why athletics don't use UK instead of GB & NI.

I think its probably all to do with media image, Team UK doesn't quite have the same ring about it.  A lot of people who talk about Great Britain think that great is a qualitative adjective like "How wonderful we are" (better than these foreigners) rather than a quantative one.  When Andrew Cotter is commentating on the BBC he invariably and rightly refers to GB and NI.

6 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

Ah is that who won the 5000m? All I could tell from the coverage was that Farah finished 2nd.

Disappointing end for Bolt last night. Seem to be saying the extended wait to race might have had something to do with it.

Strange that the British Male and Female sprinters aren't exactly world beaters when it comes to the individual races but it seems to click for them in the relay. 

Andy Butchart ended up as the fastest European after Mo (who's now retired from track races) which is a good achievement.  In terms of the sprinters what GB has is a bit of depth in both men and womens events whereas other nations may have better individuals but not so many.  I think Jamiaca would have won last night if Bolt hadn't pulled up but even getting a silver in the mens and beating the USA would have been a very fine achievement, excellent baton changes.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Andy Butchart ended up as the fastest European after Mo (who's now retired from track races) which is a good achievement.  In terms of the sprinters what GB has is a bit of depth in both men and womens events whereas other nations may have better individuals but not so many.  I think Jamiaca would have won last night if Bolt hadn't pulled up but even getting a silver in the mens and beating the USA would have been a very fine achievement, excellent baton changes.

No they wouldnt.jamiaca were in 3rd place at the last handover and bolt's form in this championship suggests he was in no shape to be chasing folk down.

1 hour ago, allyc said:

No they wouldnt.jamiaca were in 3rd place at the last handover and bolt's form in this championship suggests he was in no shape to be chasing folk down.

Agree to disagree, my impression was that Bolt was gaining on those in front of him but as he pulled up we shall never know.  It has certainly been a World Championships with its fair share of the unexpected (Jamaica's general underperformance, Miller-Uibo tripping herself up in the 400m, the whole Makwala saga, some very dodgy hurdling) but unpredictability always makes good sport and compelling viewing.  Good performances by Clark and Doyle in the 400m relay, glad to see them do well, Muir also had a very creditable sixth in the 5000m, highest place non-African born runner.

7 hours ago, wellyman said:

Why is it now Great Britain & Northern Ireland ???  are they still not part of Great Britain or do they get a special mention as they prop up a Tory government.

Great Britain is the name of the island containing Scotland, England and Wales.

It is a bit ironic that Northern Ireland get such a prominent mention as I'm not sure they even had anyone in the team.

I think Team GB remains the branding for the Olympic team though...