The Brexit Thread - Page 212 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

30 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

"Britain is becoming a more closed economy due to Brexit, with damaging long-term implications for productivity and wages which will leave the average worker 470 pounds ($577) a year poorer by the end of the decade, a study forecast on Wednesday."

End of the decade????? We must be almost that much worse off already.

You would think so, unless they think things will initially get even worse than that, then improve. They are probably too scared to publish the findings for the next 3 years. 

Im surprised that its only £470 by the end of the decade, personally Id say its much more that that already. But Id assume that they will be more accurate...

Brexit really is working a peach, well for those who were going to gain from it, the other 99% of us will just get screwed even more.

• 7 months later...

Various reports of this ilk

Brexit is costing the UK economy £100 billion a year ($124 billion), with the effects spanning everything from business investment to the ability of companies to hire workers.

An analysis by Bloomberg Economics three years after Britain left the European Union paints a bleak picture of the damage done by the way the split has been implemented by the Conservative government. 

Economists Ana Andrade and Dan Hanson reckon the economy is 4% smaller than it might have been, with business investment lagging significantly and the shortfall in EU workers widening.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-31/brexit-is-costing-the-uk-100-billion-a-year-in-lost-output?accessToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJzb3VyY2UiOiJTdWJzY3JpYmVyR2lmdGVkQXJ0aWNsZSIsImlhdCI6MTY3NTE1MDk5MSwiZXhwIjoxNjc1NzU1NzkxLCJhcnRpY2xlSWQiOiJSUEFXUlJEV0xVNjgwMSIsImJjb25uZWN0SWQiOiIxMTJGOEY3MUY4Mzk0NTJBOEE1N0E1M0M2MTA1QkY0QSJ9.0meobBsbzk6wzgerQ-DQqahXSqPYpUxCVfqgEWLUL3M

This should be getting weaponised to get indy support up even further.  The only people to benefit are those who paid to promote Brexit - in order to prevent their offshore wealth being caught in the EU taxation net.  Yet Labour expect to gain votes in Scotland by supporting Brexit and refusing to countenance even joining the single market, or to reinstate our freedom of movement that was stolen from us by these gangsters.  Anus Sarwar should be hounded on Labour's stance of Brexit at every opporchancity.

10 minutes ago, Alibi said:

This should be getting weaponised to get indy support up even further.  The only people to benefit are those who paid to promote Brexit - in order to prevent their offshore wealth being caught in the EU taxation net.  Yet Labour expect to gain votes in Scotland by supporting Brexit and refusing to countenance even joining the single market, or to reinstate our freedom of movement that was stolen from us by these gangsters.  Anus Sarwar should be hounded on Labour's stance of Brexit at every opporchancity.

It's certainly an issue that affects almost everyone. With a clear difference in policy as well. So can choose which side you favour.

8 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I think that a big part of Labour's reason for supporting this is also about funding. They expect to gain even more money from wealthy donors. This is the main reason Labour are effectively abandoning the Trade Unions. They don't need to rely on Trade Union money as much as they used to. They are moving towards a funding model similar to that of the Tories, just getting money from different wealthy donors. Sometimes it's the same ones. The mega rich are quite happy to have a foot in both camps just in case Labour ever do manage to get some power for a few of years. 

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think that a big part of Labour's reason for supporting this is also about funding. They expect to gain even more money from wealthy donors. This is the main reason Labour are effectively abandoning the Trade Unions. They don't need to rely on Trade Union money as much as they used to. They are moving towards a funding model similar to that of the Tories, just getting money from different wealthy donors. Sometimes it's the same ones. The mega rich are quite happy to have a foot in both camps just in case Labour ever do manage to get some power for a few of years. 

Precisely.

And on policies, morals, beliefs and what they stand for Labour have now become Tory-lite. The colour red they were synonymous with is now a shade of purple such is the Tory blue mixed into it.

15 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Seemingly there has recently been a poll by UNHEARD of every constituency in Britain and apparently only 1 constituency thinks Brexit has not been a mistake.

Fnum69GWIAES1As?format=jpg&name=large

Brexit has and will be horrific for our economic well being.  difficult to see where we go from here apart from suffer economic decline.

you have to wonder about the intelligence of the British public.  I know some folk will argue they were misled but what I have witnessed between brexit and some of peoples behaviour throughout covid just enforces my view that britain has become selfish, lazy and not very bright.

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

you have to wonder about the intelligence of the British public.  I know some folk will argue they were misled but what I have witnessed between brexit and some of peoples behaviour throughout covid just enforces my view that britain has become selfish, lazy and not very bright.

Indeed. Especially on politics and societal issues.

In fact I tied these things to something else just the other day when I heard "Vienna" on the radio and wondered how on Earth more members of the British public bought "Shaddap You Face".

Maybe this is the yardstick by which the public should be judged. Anyone who prefers "Shaddap You Face" to "Vienna" isn't allowed to vote.

4 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Indeed. Especially on politics and societal issues.

In fact I tied these things to something else just the other day when I heard "Vienna" on the radio and wondered how on Earth more members of the British public bought "Shaddap You Face".

Maybe this is the yardstick by which the public should be judged. Anyone who prefers "Shaddap You Face" to "Vienna" isn't allowed to vote.

😂😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Which makes it strange that Labour were and are so against UK membership of the EU?

Labour’s view is that a lot of 2016 Remainers will vote for them because they’re not the Tories but they are shit scared of 2016 Leavers that they won’t take any pro-EU position on Brexit.

It’s a strange paradox that - generalising here - parts of the country which were strong remain tended to be either cities which had large diverse and young populations and which tend towards Labour or towns in the hinterland of cities which were fairly prosperous and tended towards the Tories - what’s now being called the Blue Wall.

On the other hand, it was places were people had felt either left behind or excluded - the Red Wall but also a lot of rural areas - that had high Leave votes.

I said at the time, anyone who thinks that leaving the EU will solve any of the problems that people have are being lied to and that has been proven to be true.

It’s a very brave politician that tells half of the population of a country that they’ve been taken for mugs.  Cognitive dissonance kicks in and they don’t listen.

Scotland is of course different but there is massive gaslighting going on to convince people it’s not. 

We are literally in a terrible situation. Normally the best way out of a recession in to trade your way out with the support of your partners. However we have zero goodwill in the bank with our closest trading partner and the US don't want to know us. We are still in the grip of Brexit extremists who operate on the margins of political power but the Tories, the traditional party of Europe are terrified of holding their hands up and admitting we can't go on like this.