The Brexit Thread - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Flure said:

And that situation is not improved when, during council and Holyrood elections, candidates are asked questions - by media and opponents - about matters reserved to Westminster.

Or, for council candidates, about matters dealt with by Holyrood.

I think to an extent that is inevitable, all media coverage is largely driven by personalities of leaders and issues of the day.   I think the 24hr rolling news culture is largely to blame for that but its not something I see changing anytime soon.   What political parties can do though is to manage what the media thinks is important.  In the last HR election, IMHO, the SNP failed in a big way to get on the front foot and dictate the narrative something which they did extremely well in the 2015 UK general election.   They let Ruth Davidson get away with making it about "Say No to a second IndyRef".

As for local council elections, that's not restricted to Scotland, just the other week in England there were local council elections which got major coverage across the networks.   Sky News isn't exactly going to send Faisal Islam to Dagenham to discuss the state of bin collections.   If you look at Barnet where Labour failed to take a council that even a few months earlier they would have been odds on to take control of, they lost out to the Tories because at a national level, Jeremy Corbyn's perceived lack of action on anti-antisemitism didn't play out well in an area with a large Jewish population.  

4 hours ago, aaid said:

I suspect Richard Leonard and the rest of the Labour Party are very well aware of what is reserved and what is devolved.    They ask questions about "Why aren't the SNP doing something about reserved area X" because they know that won't be challenged on this and it's a chip, chip, chip at reinforcing a narrative that the SNP government are failing.

And added to that, when the SNP point out it's a reserved matter, that plays into the 'always blaming Westminster' narrative.

• 1 month later...

Amendment to secure meaningful vote defeated.

Exactly what was all that bluster Dominic? 

Totally pointless if you are then going to wake up in the middle of the night worrying that your actions will cause the governments collapse , and vote against your own fookin amendment. 

Absolutely pathetic.  

33 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Amendment to secure meaningful vote defeated.

Exactly what was all that bluster Dominic? 

Totally pointless if you are then going to wake up in the middle of the night worrying that your actions will cause the governments collapse , and vote against your own fookin amendment. 

Absolutely pathetic.  

I watched bits of it. Didnt realise he voted against his own bill ?

What a shower.

1 minute ago, mariokempes56 said:

I watched bits of it. Didnt realise he voted against his own bill ?

What a shower.

Yes. He probably made a strategic choice in the end seeing as a number of Labour MPs said they'd be backing the government as well. Coupled with the fact he got more of those empty promises from the cabinet which sealed it.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes. He probably made a strategic choice in the end seeing as a number of Labour MPs said they'd be backing the government as well. Coupled with the fact he got more of those empty promises from the cabinet which sealed it.

I think 4 labour MPs backed the government, there might have been some labour abstentions too, not sure. 

But hey,  dont worry, we can all rely on John Bercow to make the right decision when it comes. If he hasnt been poisoned by ‘The Russians’  first . 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think 4 labour MPs backed the government, there might have been some labour abstentions too, not sure. 

But hey,  dont worry, we can all rely on John Bercow to make the right decision when it comes. If he hasnt been poisoned by ‘The Russians’  first . 

Yes 4 backed Labour and there were 16 who abstained and would imagine he asked all his rebel friends how they were going to vote and didn't want to be left high and dry so voted to back it once he had got more of those empty promises from May and Co. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Did anything ever come of salmond leading a consortium to buy the scotman out? That would be massive even if we had that paper neutral come a referendum.    

Would it though? Their sales are sinking every quarter. It's probably left with only hardcore Unionists who read it.

30 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Would it though? Their sales are sinking every quarter. It's probably left with only hardcore Unionists who read it.

Don't you remember the BBC coverage of newspapers in 2014? Having one less unionist paper would be a positive.

May also soften the unionists that read the paper.

31 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Don't you remember the BBC coverage of newspapers in 2014? Having one less unionist paper would be a positive.

May also soften the unionists that read the paper.

I don't see it making any difference to unionists. Last week The Guardian posted a favourable report backing the SNP stance and the wholly unfair way Westminster treated Scottish MPs who were trying to fight for Scotland's rights but visiting various forums and message boards since then the yoons still don't see last week's events in the same way as The Guardian.

Just now, Rich NATA said:

For sitting on the fence?

And for not really going into any depth on the subject in what is the biggest constitutional issue in decades.

I think he is trying to play the canny long game. Wait until the Tory party implodes (as it will) over Brexit and no mud can stick to him. Thing is it could come back to bite him as those against leaving will point a finger at him for not taking a stronger stand (as opposition leader) over a matter they really cared about.

I just watched 5 minutes of the news and the way it was reported is he could somehow stop brexit, even interviewed a Tory (who's party is doing brexit) and she was allowed to stick the boot in without anyone pointing out it's her party.

I'm sure he deserves some fire, but it's almost as if he was the PM or something. Weird shit.

This whole mess is of the Tories making on all fronts.

Firstly, they are the ones that passed the Euro Referendum.

Secondly, despite the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parliaments requesting that Brexit only happens with all four countries having a majority vote to leave the Tories rejected this idea.

Thirdly, they denied any input from any other party but their own in Brexit talks and discussions with the EU. They have made it clear from the start (very wrongly) that they, and they alone, will decide on all aspects of Brexit without anyone else's input. They are like rabid power mad dogs.

Over the past few months Corbyn has had the opportunity to put the boot right in to May and the tories during debates in parliament. However, he doesn't take the opportunity, just sits and say's very little. I can't work out what he is playing at. I work with a guy who is a big fan of Corbyn but even he can't understand what he is playing at. Corbyn comes across as weak.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Over the past few months Corbyn has had the opportunity to put the boot right in to May and the tories during debates in parliament. However, he doesn't take the opportunity, just sits and say's very little. I can't work out what he is playing at. I work with a guy who is a big fan of Corbyn but even he can't understand what he is playing at. Corbyn comes across as weak.

Corbyn is a total fud. Two - faced and full of shit. Weal and useless - sheesh he is no opposition to maybot.

And as you say when the heat is on he says nothing, supposedly supports Irish Indy/reunification but not Scotland - wouldn't trust him as one bit.

You just know that Jeremy Corbyn is the type of cunt that still wears the same corduroy blazer that he bought in 1992. He'll be one of those types that tries to make small talk at the urinal, puts one hand on the tiles and holds his cock the other way round with the other when he goes for a pish