This is why we cant qualify - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This is why we cant qualify

bonny78

Just now, Orraloon said:

A draw in that game would be good but if we don't beat Lithuania it won't really matter.

Mr Masher's post has got me looking at permutations. And that started getting me to build up my hopes again.

If Slovakia and Slovenia draw then we could still get 2nd place even if we only draw in Lithuania (in fact even a defeat for us wouldn't be total disaster). We could still get 2nd place by winning our last 3 games. Although we would end up on only 18 (or 17) points which might not be enough for a play off spot.

Of course we would want England to beat both the Slov teams. I wouldn't put it past them to throw one of those games just to spite us. Wouldn't be the first time.;)

Come on lads. We can do this. A win in Lithuania puts us back in the driving seat.:ok:

29 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

We would have to improve dramatically to get 3 wins let alone 4.

Aye, but getting 3 wins in a row is much more realistic than 4 wins in a row. And one of those games is Malta at home. So those 3 points are already as good as in the bag? Mibbee:unsure:. So it's actually only two wins we need to worry about. Beat Slovakia at home. Then one of our best ever away results to beat Slovenia.

:sing:Here we go, Here we Go, Here we go.............:sing:

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, just had a quick look. Probably good. Although Austria could go on a good run and finish 2nd, so a draw might be OK too. Too early to say for sure. 

Right enough but its all about ensuring second place teams are not accumulating points. Like you said before I don't know why I am bothering. Its going to end in utter last minute agony. :mad:

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

If Slovakia and Slovenia draw then we could still get 2nd place even if we only draw in Lithuania (in fact even a defeat for us wouldn't be total disaster). 

That's the mentality the puts us in these situations. No ifs or buts, if we have any squeak of qualifying we must win all 4 games left, it's that simple. We started the qualifying with a "as long as we don't lose" mentality in the Lithuania game and it's probably the game that will kill us. If we'd won that game, we'd be 2 points off second place having played our 3 hardest games.

44 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

That's the mentality the puts us in these situations. No ifs or buts, if we have any squeak of qualifying we must win all 4 games left, it's that simple. We started the qualifying with a "as long as we don't lose" mentality in the Lithuania game and it's probably the game that will kill us. If we'd won that game, we'd be 2 points off second place having played our 3 hardest games.

It's OK, I'm no the manager or one of the players. So, I'm not going to have much impact on the outcome of any of the games. ;)

I'm just looking for some rays of hope after our dismal start to the campaign. We have played both our games against the top seed. Slovenia and Slovakia have both still got to go to Wembley. We need England to win those two games.

Our next game against Lithuania is one of those weird ones where it doesn't matter whether we win lose or draw, we would need still need to win our last 3 games anyway. There is minimal difference between a defeat or a draw for this one, so we might as well go all out for the win. Losing that game isn't much worse than drawing it. 

Getting 3 points from Lithuania could possibly be the difference between being the worst 2nd place team or not. Those 3 points could also be the difference between us needing a win or a draw in the last game away to Slovenia. So, what I'm saying is that we might as well go all out for the win because a defeat isn't much worse than a draw. No matter what happens in Lithuania we will still need to go for wins in the last 3 games.

Edited by Orraloon

57 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

As with most things in life it will almost always end in despair. I'm just trying to postpone it for a wee while.:lol:

A wee bit like death really.

Love yer closing comment. Didnae  half cheer me up???