Scotland v England : Match Thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England : Match Thread

Big Col

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So because I support Rangers my opinion on Scotland is invalid? 

Typical nonsense used by someone that's lost the argument. 

And if you could get your head out your arse crack for a second you'd see I wasn't actually being negative. 

I was on pointing out your and others over inflation of the teams performance. 

Our results are better but the performances aren't. Which was your original point that you're conveniently changing with every post. 

And again I stand by that - the performances are better. So what are you blethering about. At home to Lithuania our performance stank the house out as did away to Slovakia where we were hammered. Last two matches have produced better results and with it better performances. We won 1-0 in a must-win match with our backs to the wall but performance and dominance deserved something more like a 3-0 scoreline. Yesterday I am not saying we were brilliant but given how we match up against a superior side we acquitted ourselves well and came away with a result. So if you are honestly claiming that since Lithuania (Home) and Slovakia (Away) that there hasn't been an improvement then I question your knowledge of football.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No as I stand by the original point I made. And I could counter-argue that the first dig came from Renfrew with regards to him saying Scotland aren't improving.

Haven't read above, but I don't think you classify that saying Scotland arn't improving is a dig?

Is that not just an opinion?  

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is all opinions. Is mines not an opinion about Gers chances next year as well?

Of course. As was mine about it being an odd thing to through into a debate on Scotland, unless you were trying to make a personal dig.

Yesterday summed us up quite nicely as a footballing nation I thought. A total lack of genuine quality throughout, 2 free kicks aside, very little composure, zero in game intelligence, played with complete fear and no one allowed to express themselves. Even going 2-1 up in the 90th minute, you're not confident we would hang on which is ultimately pathetic against an England team that will never trouble the latter stages of any major tournament. A complete failure yesterday with very little positives.

Am I the only one that thinks that it was a bang average performance against a side that never got out of second gear. 

We were strong for the first 10-15 mins of both halves then were pushed back and couldn't get near their goal. 

If it wasn't for slack finishing,it could've easily been another 3-0 defeat. 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Am I the only one that thinks that it was a bang average performance against a side that never got out of second gear. 

We were strong for the first 10-15 mins of both halves then were pushed back and couldn't get near their goal. 

No I agree and it would've been an absolute robbery if we'd hung on for the win. Would've been brilliant though.

Btw just watched some of the game, bizarre that STV and ITV England had cameras on different sides of the pitch from each other.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Yesterday summed us up quite nicely as a footballing nation I thought. A total lack of genuine quality throughout, 2 free kicks aside, very little composure, zero in game intelligence, played with complete fear and no one allowed to express themselves. Even going 2-1 up in the 90th minute, you're not confident we would hang on which is ultimately pathetic against an England team that will never trouble the latter stages of any major tournament. A complete failure yesterday with very little positives.

We struggled to put 2 and 3 passes together for the vast majority of the match. At throw ins, there was very little movement, players reluctant to show for the ball, poor predictable movement off the ball etc. 

The formation didn't work from an attacking point of view, Tierney and Robertson not utilised to the best of their abilities. Morrison is shite, has been for awhile now, Anya's purple patch ended over a year ago. 

Cracking free kicks, Griffiths has that in his game. Otherwise very little get excited about. 

55 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

The saville songs were an absolute riddy btw.

Aye, standard teuchtar behaviour.  Not as much of a riddy as the half time sing along with the words being displayed on the screen karaoke style, pure contrived bollocks.

8 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

But we ARE 4 points behind Slovakia who are second with 4 games to go.

Same situation as Ireland were in after draw in Dublin with regards to us & making the play-offs.

Why can't we do what they did? 

Mainly because we are utter pish.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Think your spot on. England were there to win with as little effort as possible. Seemed like little more than a training game for them. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

No I agree and it would've been an absolute robbery if we'd hung on for the win. Would've been brilliant though.

Jesus, that would have been brilliant, but as you say we wouldn't have deserved it, not sure we deserved a draw. But we're improving, allegedly ?.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of what is being said on this thread, but I'm stunned at the level of negativity. I really struggle to understand what some people expect.

I agree if we'd held on it would have been robbery, but neither did we deserve to be behind in the first place.

it was a typical Scotland performance. I felt there were aspects to be pleased about and aspects that were all too familiar. 

I do think some people though are going a wee bit over the top. Disappointment will do that to you. 

44 minutes ago, Mox said:

Mainly because we are utter pish.

This for example is just silly. 

Spoken like a true ruined Celtic fan. If you supported someone else you may be a little more tolerant. 

Edited by Marky

13 minutes ago, Marky said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of what is being said on this thread, but I'm stunned at the level of negativity. I really struggle to understand what some people expect.

I agree if we'd held on it would have been robbery, but neither did we deserve to be behind in the first place.

it was a typical Scotland performance. I felt there were aspects to be pleased about and aspects that were all too familiar. 

I do think some people though are going a wee bit over the top. Disappointment will do that to you. 

They had twice as much shots (8-16), three times as much on target (3-9), more possession, less tackles to make, more corners (4-7) and possession (39-61). 

Its not negativity, its people that can see what's going on in the game without tartan glasses on. 

I want Scotland to win as much as the next guy, but just like I'll say with Aberdeen, if it isn't good enough, I'll criticise it. 

Some people just can't see past the end of their nose and will think it's a point to celebrate. 

Its not. 

We needed 3 and we're lucky to get 1. 

Edited by dandydunn

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

That had twice as much shots (8-16), three times as much in target (3-9), more possession, less tackles to make, more corners (4-7) and possession (39-61). 

Its not negativity, its people that can see what's going on in the game without tartan glasses on. 

I want Scotland to win as much as the next guy, but just like I'll say with Aberdeen, if it isn't good enough, I'll criticise it. 

Some people just can't see past the end of their nose and will think it's a point to celebrate. 

Its not. 

Sure it isn't good enough but ask yourself why? Because the players aren't good enough. They all worked hard yesterday for all their failings and just missed out on a famous win. Not too bad for a team of players not near the standard of those in the opposition's team. Sure lambast them if we have hordes of world class players in the side but we certainly do not.

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

A training game? Remind me what time did they score. They looked very average. I was surprised how poor they were. Griffiths goals deserved to win the game. It is real shame they didn't. 

What difference does it make when they scored? They looked like they were playing well within themselves and if we'd scored first I bet they're performance would have went up a couple of gears.

I texted a mate, just before they scored the first (timing!) saying it was a typical end of season game. Neither side did anything of note and the England team certainly didn't play to the potential they supposedly have. Nothing of note in that first 70 mins from Kane, Alli, Rashford etc. Their 2 best very Livermore and Lallana. 

Reminded me a lot of Ireland away in Dublin, also in June, both sides looked like they needed the summer break. The last 20 mins hid that quite well at the end of the day.

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

That had twice as much shots (8-16), three times as much in target (3-9), more possession, less tackles to make, more corners (4-7) and possession (39-61). 

Its not. 

I presume despite quoting me, your not suggesting the above represents what I posted. Because is doesn't. 

Those stats are also very deceiving. You can quote shots at goal, shots on target, corners etc, but the bottom line is there were maybe 3 or 4 times in the entire match when I feared they might score. There were probably a similar number of times when I thought we might score. 

You do remember who we were playing against don't you? You do realise they have a squad never mind a team, playing for the very top teams worth millions of pounds? They have players who individually are worth more than our entire squad probably.

Could we maybe just try to have a wee bit of perspective. 

5 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

What difference does it make when they scored? They looked like they were playing well within themselves and if we'd scored first I bet they're performance would have went up a couple of gears.

they always look like that

they are one paced and pedestrian

that's why they're always horsed out first decent side they come up against in a finals

their away games this campaign, they've drawn 2-2, 0-0, andwon 1-0 in 90yh min with Slovakia down to 10 for last 20 min

Edited by Bino's