Scotland v England : Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England : Match Thread

Big Col

26 minutes ago, Mazda said:

Exactly, In the first half we looked like we had lead boots on.

I think we do not play the proper tactics , continually giving the goalie the ball to hoof upfield is not something to be encouraged. & invariably gives away possession. for one thing.

Would say yesterday the English players pressing really high didn't give much chance to build from the back 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Bino's said:

you think we'll win away in Lithuania and Slovenia

on what evidence

Yes they'll be the real tough ones but we beat Slovenia already and we were in a low confidence-wise when we played Lithuania at home whereas now we are on a bit of a roll. We have shown we can go away and get results in recent times so there is still hope. Put it this way I feel better about our chances now than I did 4 or 5 months ago.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes they'll be the real tough ones but we beat Slovenia already and we were in a low confidence-wise when we played Lithuania at home whereas now we are on a bit of a roll. We have shown we can go away and get results in recent times so there is still hope. Put it this way I feel better about our chances now than I did 4 or 5 months ago.

I see us being one up in Slovenia and on course and chucking the ball in the net or something

I find it hard to understand that some folk on here are calling for Strachan to go.

He got the tactic spot on in the first game against England and he got the tactics correct in this game.

the players need to take more responsibility.......Lithuania was a shocker

Who else are we going to get and where are they going to find the top class players we crave for. He is trying to bring young players in but they are not there or not good enough.

Grow a brain.

1 hour ago, DOUBLE A said:

Would say yesterday the English players pressing really high didn't give much chance to build from the back 

That's part of it but the other part is we aren't good enough at the back to beat those kind of tactics. 

So expect the same from Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia and we wont be able to deal with them either. 

There's no way we're beating all 3 of these teams the way we are playing. 

We were second best yesterday in every department to a misfiring England team, except in free kicks ?. 

37 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That's part of it but the other part is we aren't good enough at the back to beat those kind of tactics. 

So expect the same from Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia and we wont be able to deal with them either. 

There's no way we're beating all 3 of these teams the way we are playing. 

We were second best yesterday in every department to a misfiring England team, except in free kicks ?. 

Those teams have no where near the level of player England have available. We have to win in Lithuania on that dodgy pitch. Whilst we play there Slovakia play Slovenia so someone/both are dropping points and then we play Malta. If we win them both then we go into a game against Slovakia at hampden where potentially we could be looking at going above them if the English have done us a favour.

It's unlikely, improbable even, but stranger things have happened. I know Slovakia beat us convincingly but I think we all saw that they are as bad as us at the back and if we try and exploit that then we have a chance.

2 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

It's unlikely, improbable even, but stranger things have happened. I know Slovakia beat us convincingly but I think we all saw that they are as bad as us at the back and if we try and exploit that then we have a chance.

And we have shown signs of improvement in the last 2 or 3 games so there is always hope.

Stranger things HAVE happened, I grant you, but not usually to us.

And we have shown signs of improvement in the last 2 or 3 games

Aarggh! People talking about 'signs of improvement' always remind me of Craig Levein giving press conferences after a horsing during his tenure...

9 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Aarggh! People talking about 'signs of improvement' always remind me of Craig Levein giving press conferences after a horsing during his tenure...

Ah okay what the f*** we are getting bloody worse. Even worse than at home to Lithuania and Slovakia away. Happy now?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

13 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

or Craigie Broons corner counts

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay apologies but point stands we have improved in last few games since that night. My apologies to you doom merchant.

I disagree, we haven't improved at all. The opposition has just played worse and we've had a few bits of good luck. 

I'm not being a doom merchant, just realistic. Apart from Griffiths free kicks there was very little yesterday to be positive about. 

3 hours ago, DOUBLE A said:

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I disagree, we haven't improved at all. The opposition has just played worse and we've had a few bits of good luck. 

I'm not being a doom merchant, just realistic. Apart from Griffiths free kicks there was very little yesterday to be positive about. 

Okay whatever floats your boat.

Of course will will be hard pushed to make the play-offs but given the players we have at our disposal it is no surprise. I would say we have far more a chance of making the play-offs than Rangers do of winning anything next season though - just to put things into perspective.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of course will will be hard pushed to make the play-offs but given the players we have at our disposal it is no surprise. I would say we have far more a chance of making the play-offs than Rangers do of winning anything next season though - just to put things into perspective.

I agree we'll find it very difficult to make the play-offs. That wasn't your previous point. You claimed our performances were improving and I disagreed. I think we played far better in Wembley than yesterday, for example. 

You then chucked in a wee sad jibe at Rangers to try and annoy me. ?

And I stand by what I said. If you can't accept that it is your look-out. A 1-0 win in a must-win match and in all truth our play deserved far more than that and a draw at home to top seeds and group leaders scoring first goals they have conceded with two top quality goals. But hey ho if you dont see that as improvement from games against Slovakia and Lithuania that is your look-out.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What a random thing to throw into an argument :lol:

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah what the heck. An obvious Ger looking on the negatives for Scotland is a bit rich in my opinion. And its a fair assessment is it not? Or do you disagree with the chances of both happening?

Chances of both happening are slim- but it comes across as you losing the argument, so I'll make a dig at his club (rightly or wrongly).

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah what the heck. An obvious Ger looking on the negatives for Scotland is a bit rich in my opinion. And its a fair assessment is it not? Or do you disagree with the chances of both happening?

So because I support Rangers my opinion on Scotland is invalid? 

Typical nonsense used by someone that's lost the argument. 

And if you could get your head out your arse crack for a second you'd see I wasn't actually being negative. 

I was on pointing out your and others over inflation of the teams performance. 

Our results are better but the performances aren't. Which was your original point that you're conveniently changing with every post. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

10 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Chances of both happening are slim- but it comes across as you losing the argument, so I'll make a dig at his club (rightly or wrongly).

No as I stand by the original point I made. And I could counter-argue that the first dig came from Renfrew with regards to him saying Scotland aren't improving.