Tempur Mattress - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Having had our current mattress for 16 years, and which is now saggier than my 53yr old body,  I decided to invest in a good mattress and purchased  a Tempur 22 duluxe. 

I have had it for 3 weeks now and not certain the investment has paid off. Prior to purchasing it I had low back pain which MRI scans have shown is really just due to bad posture over a prolonged period. It is however bad enough to regularly disturb my sleep. 

I thought that by investing in an expensive mattress it could only improve the back pain, and when I lie on the mattress it feels really comfortable. However when I get up the next morning my back is killing me, possibly worse than before. I dont know if I need to give it more time. 

I probably should have done a bit more research before spending a bloody kings ransom on a mattress , a few google searches and two 5 minute slots lying on a mattress  in the local Dreams shop probably wasnt enough. Also, there is a 60 day return policy which I probably should have paid more attention to. Appartantly it does not mean you  can return it and get a refund in 60 days , it means you can return it and get,  well, a different Tempur mattress ?

Has anyone had , or know someone who has bad one of these mattresses and if it took a while to get used to it ? 

This new quality mattress is going to be very flat and hard in comparison to your very old one that fitted you(r back) like a glove. No matter how superb it is it is schooling your back. It is your back that is the issue. Give it time to straighten you out just by sleeping flat. It should improve but maybe some massage or physio to help it along. 

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This new quality mattress is going to be very flat and hard in comparison to your very old one that fitted you(r back) like a glove. No matter how superb it is it is schooling your back. It is your back that is the issue. Give it time to straighten you out just by sleeping flat. It should improve but maybe some massage or physio to help it along. 

Thanks, when you say 'flat', do you mean without a pillow? Cos not only did I buy the mattress I bought their pillow as well..

Parklife will be along shortly asking me if I want to buy some magic beans.

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I would use your old pillow(s). A new mattress is enough to adjust to without a new pillow.

Are you a one pillow person? (if yes... weirdo! ;))

Well, I used to be a 2 pillow person, however my old mattress sagged that much I had to go down to 1, else my body and neck were at a 90 degree angle and I was resembling a periscope. I suppose that could be defned as weird ?

Thanks, I shall give this a go whilst keeping one eye on the calendar ..... 39 days left and counting. 

3 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I always sleep in recovery position, so only have a tiny corner of the pillow to sleep on - sure i got told that is best position to sleep in 

I suppose it depends on what you are recovering from?

3 weeks isn't enough for a body to get used to new mattress. Keep to your old pillow for now. 1 pillow is perfect, 2 pillowers, aka freaks, know not of what they speak, don't judge them too harshly. Orthopaedic mattress means hee haw. People with sore backs seem to think hard mattresses are best but often too firm is more damaging. I don't know about tempur mattresses, I got mine on recommendation of neurosurgeon but it was 3 years ago and can't remember the make just now. Just give it time and I'm sure it'll work out. But if not just keep taking others until you find one that 'fits'. 

Oh and another recommendation from him that I don't think is in many medical books was, "take your evening pills with your drink of choice. I drink whisky myself." 

4 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I always sleep in recovery position, so only have a tiny corner of the pillow to sleep on - sure i got told that is best position to sleep in 

Flat out on my front with my pus hanging off the corner of the pillow.

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks, when you say 'flat', do you mean without a pillow? Cos not only did I buy the mattress I bought their pillow as well..

Parklife will be along shortly asking me if I want to buy some magic beans.

:lol:

17 hours ago, thplinth said:

I would use your old pillow(s). A new mattress is enough to adjust to without a new pillow.

Are you a one pillow person? (if yes... weirdo! ;))

One pillow or zero for me, duno how folk can use big pillows and more than one.

12 hours ago, Ormond said:

Flat out on my front with my pus hanging off the corner of the pillow.

Haha im something like that too, canny sleep on my back, dont get that shit

17 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Correct. It's the best position for your back, according to what i've read. 

19 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I tried this last night just to try something different. I couldnt remember what the recovery position was so dug out my st johns ambulance first aid book from the course i went on in 1986. 

My husband helped me get into the position but my neck was so painful when I turned it to the side I couldnt get back up. If I had lay  all night  in that position I would have needed a hospital pulley to winch me up this morning. Probably the only kind of winch I am likely to get these days right enough .

Thanks for the suggestion though.

17 hours ago, G-Man said:

3 weeks isn't enough for a body to get used to new mattress. Keep to your old pillow for now. 1 pillow is perfect, 2 pillowers, aka freaks, know not of what they speak, don't judge them too harshly. Orthopaedic mattress means hee haw. People with sore backs seem to think hard mattresses are best but often too firm is more damaging. I don't know about tempur mattresses, I got mine on recommendation of neurosurgeon but it was 3 years ago and can't remember the make just now. Just give it time and I'm sure it'll work out. But if not just keep taking others until you find one that 'fits'. 

Oh and another recommendation from him that I don't think is in many medical books was, "take your evening pills with your drink of choice. I drink whisky myself." 

Its a memory foam mattress , you kind of sink into it but it is difficult to turn over.  You need to use quite a bit of energy . Think I was taken in by the advertising that said the material the mattress is made of  is the same material  that Nasa use to provide comfort and support to astronauts on lift off . A more accurate description is that only a rocket that would buy the bloody thing.  

You only get to swap the mattress once , which in itself will keep me awake all night with the  pressure of getting the next one right. 

I will give it a bit longer and if all else fails I will just need to change my tipple from wine to whiskey,  as suggested.   

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its a memory foam mattress , you kind of sink into it but it is difficult to turn over.  You need to use quite a bit of energy . Think I was taken in by the advertising that said the material the mattress is made of  is the same material  that Nasa use to provide comfort and support to astronauts on lift off . A more accurate description is that only a rocket that would buy the bloody thing.  

You only get to swap the mattress once , which in itself will keep me awake all night with the  pressure of getting the next one right. 

I will give it a bit longer and if all else fails I will just need to change my tipple from wine to whiskey,  as suggested.   

I had a read afterwards, and said sleeping on stomach is not good - works for me though 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I'm quite tempted by the Casper mattress and they apparently have a proper 100-day money back guarantee.

It has the voodoo space age Nasa memory foam stuff as well. Anybody tried one?

https://casper.com/uk/en

I had a similar problem .. changed my mattress but still had trouble sleeping. I eventually went and was assessed by a chiropractor and it was found my back was all to feck. This may be your issue, I now get realigned once a month and sleep like a baby... well more like George Doors as he was a big un.. :D

22 hours ago, tartandon said:

I'm quite tempted by the Casper mattress and they apparently have a proper 100-day money back guarantee.

It has the voodoo space age Nasa memory foam stuff as well. Anybody tried one?

https://casper.com/uk/en

Nope , never tried it but wish I had taken a look at Which before my extravagant purchase. I can guarantee you the mattress i bought is the expensive one on the list of mattresses they tell you to avoid on that link. 

21 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

I had a similar problem .. changed my mattress but still had trouble sleeping. I eventually went and was assessed by a chiropractor and it was found my back was all to feck. This may be your issue, I now get realigned once a month and sleep like a baby... well more like George Doors as he was a big un.. :D

Think you could be right and that I am addressing the wrong problem. My back wasnt good before the new mattress this just seems to have exacerbated it. My colleague sent me something on anterior pelvic tilt, the symptoms look a bit familiar so will check it out. 

On 6/5/2017 at 0:56 AM, G-Man said:

3 weeks isn't enough for a body to get used to new mattress. Keep to your old pillow for now. 1 pillow is perfect, 2 pillowers, aka freaks, know not of what they speak, don't judge them too harshly.

Mono pillow pish.

On 6/5/2017 at 6:13 PM, TDYER63 said:

Its a memory foam mattress , you kind of sink into it but it is difficult to turn over.  You need to use quite a bit of energy . 

I lazily went to Ikea and tried all the beds and had my mind set on a memory foam mattress before I went. Bought the traditional one. It was just more natural and comfortable. Those foam ones are a bit like sinking into gel. And I reckon you'd sweat like a in them when it gets real hot.

21 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

See these folk... I was told you go to them... and you become addicted to going to them? 

12 hours ago, thplinth said:

Mono pillow pish.

I lazily went to Ikea and tried all the beds and had my mind set on a memory foam mattress before I went. Bought the traditional one. It was just more natural and comfortable. Those foam ones are a bit like sinking into gel. And I reckon you'd sweat like a in them when it gets real hot.

See these folk... I was told you go to them... and you become addicted to going to them? 

Heat from the mattress was one of the issues coming up on the research I actually did do. Didnt bother me though, Scotland is hardly known for its tropical climate, plus I prefer to be too warm than too cold.

However to combat the potential problem not only did I buy the Tempur mattress , and pillow, I bought their mattress protector too. Guaranteed to 'reduce excessive heat and moisture'.

So I can at least be comforted in the fact that whilst I may be a cripple, I will not be stinking of BO too.

On 05/06/2017 at 4:58 PM, TDYER63 said:

I tried this last night just to try something different. I couldnt remember what the recovery position was so dug out my st johns ambulance first aid book from the course i went on in 1986. 

My husband helped me get into the position but my neck was so painful when I turned it to the side I couldnt get back up. If I had lay  all night  in that position I would have needed a hospital pulley to winch me up this morning. Probably the only kind of winch I am likely to get these days right enough .

Thanks for the suggestion though.

It's nice you and your husband are still trying new positions in the bedroom!

:lol:

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Heat from the mattress was one of the issues coming up on the research I actually did do. Didnt bother me though, Scotland is hardly known for its tropical climate, plus I prefer to be too warm than too cold.

However to combat the potential problem not only did I buy the Tempur mattress , and pillow, I bought their mattress protector too. Guaranteed to 'reduce excessive heat and moisture'.

So I can at least be comforted in the fact that whilst I may be a cripple, I will not be stinking of BO too.

So, now we are up to a mattress, pillows (times 2, I think) and a mattress protector? At least you've helped somebody on the road to salesperson of the month award.