B=sides that shouldn't have been - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

B=sides that shouldn't have been

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The B side of Billy Connolly D.I.V.O.R.C.E. was a wee Gem called Cuckoo...

it played right to the end of the groove and didnt stop,    the needle went round and round and round and round .. as did the Goldfish ;-)

Well if I wanna be a Punk Rocker can be in this thread I demand Billy and The Cuckoo...... ;-)

PS Mr POKE, thanx for Sugar Mountain.... 

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Sorry to burst yer bubble granpa but wee Jimmy released his single in dec 72 , i took it to school the day we broke up for xmas. Its ruination was the single most devastating thing in my life at that time so i remember it well. The woman in galbraiths tried to console me with a penny mixture.

Cant believe i was devastated at Jimmy Osmond when Gary Glitter was lurking about.

Goddamnit!!!!!!

Guest MorayCupMan

Kasabian Ketang B-side of empire.. also The Prodigy the trick B-side of breathe ...still one of my all time favourite B-sides. wouldn't have sold heaps as a single but a tune it is

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 9:55 PM, aaid said:

Wasted Life by SLF, b-side of Suspect Device 

Top song...i wrote out the lyrics from it in my English o level as a protest .....

John Otway's Really Free (1977 number 27 in charts)....superb b-side "Beware of the flowers cos I'm sure they're gonna get you yeah"....as John always says, it sold as many copies as his first hit, and both he and Wild Willy know it should have been the follow-up single but big error at the time (one of many in John's long career)....the b-side did finally get its own recognition by being voted the 7th greatest lyric of all time (honestly!!)....whilst John finally got his 2nd and indeed biggest hit in 2002 with Bunsen Burner (top ten hit!)....and the b-side of THAT single also warrants a big mention...its John's version of House of the Rising Sun plus i was one of the backing vocalists on that b-side (we recorded it at Abbey Road too!!)...

rockin chair was a b side to roll with it. fking unbelievably better than the a side. also on the masterplan b sides album. underneath the sky. the masterplan and cum on feel the noise were all on dont look back in anger. prefer all three to the a side.

Great shout there with Working Class Hero!!! Quite possibly my favourite Lennon song.

A song somewhat appropriate for Mrs May this morning.  Was the B side to Lose Control in 1990.  Eventually rerecorded and included on the Laid album in 93 and is probably the best song on it (which is high praise as it's an excellent album).

On 09/06/2017 at 9:11 AM, Fairbairn said:

A song somewhat appropriate for Mrs May this morning.  Was the B side to Lose Control in 1990.  Eventually rerecorded and included on the Laid album in 93 and is probably the best song on it (which is high praise as it's an excellent album).

Great song. Didn't realise it was a b side.

On 2017-6-2 at 8:12 PM, Barney Rubble said:

It's quiet round here these days, so for those of us of a certain age, I'll start you off with:

Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs (B-side of Go Your Own Way)

The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down (B-side of Get Back)

It was released as an 'A' side later but originally a 'B' so I'm claiming it.

25 minutes ago, andymac said:

Doing this from memory that it was a B-side. Pretty sure somebody will say it shouldn't have been recorded but I like it.  Great hair. 

OK, only playing this for the hair :o   (B-side to Edge of a Broken Heart.)

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:20 AM, buckielugger said:

John Otway's Really Free (1977 number 27 in charts)....superb b-side "Beware of the flowers cos I'm sure they're gonna get you yeah"....as John always says, it sold as many copies as his first hit, and both he and Wild Willy know it should have been the follow-up single but big error at the time (one of many in John's long career)....the b-side did finally get its own recognition by being voted the 7th greatest lyric of all time (honestly!!)....whilst John finally got his 2nd and indeed biggest hit in 2002 with Bunsen Burner (top ten hit!)....and the b-side of THAT single also warrants a big mention...its John's version of House of the Rising Sun plus i was one of the backing vocalists on that b-side (we recorded it at Abbey Road too!!)...

Great choice (and impressive Otway-related trivia - can't believe I used to think you were in your early twenties when you first started posting ...).

Otway did indeed fook things up on a grand scale (wasn't 'Geneva' the follow-up single to 'Really Free'?), but back then he and Wild Willy Barrett were about the best live act on the circuit, before Otway moved on to self-parody. The first two albums contain some stunning songs.

Pretty sure that this is one of Zevon's last live shows. Everyone knew he was dying, including Letterman. The song was the b-side to Werewolves if London, an equally great song. I give you Roland the Headless Thomson Gunner. 

Edited by Stapes

Dead Souls by Joy Division.  B-side to Atmosphere. Their best song

There are a few people on here that don't half like some of the utter 5h1te that Oasis released. i.e. any of the low-key songs with nostalgic and sentimental lyrics.  Half the World Away being a prime example.  It's a shame Noel didn't stop after Definitely Maybe.  Rock 'n' Roll Star, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Columbia and the like are streets ahead of the rubbish on the latter albums where Noel was thinking when he was trying to write lyrics.  Noel hasn't read a lot of books and it shows with all the clichés and trite lyrics in the songs he wrote after the great throwaway songs on Definitely Maybe.

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 3:09 AM, DonnyTJS said:

Great choice (and impressive Otway-related trivia - can't believe I used to think you were in your early twenties when you first started posting ...).

Otway did indeed fook things up on a grand scale (wasn't 'Geneva' the follow-up single to 'Really Free'?), but back then he and Wild Willy Barrett were about the best live act on the circuit, before Otway moved on to self-parody. The first two albums contain some stunning songs.

Yep Geneva was the follow up single...if any one hasn't heard it, please find it on YouTube...it's a truly beautiful song. And also correct about his opening albums...some great tracks on them...Otway is a very under-rated songwriter. Another good album was his first without Wild Willy, appropriately entitled All Ballls and No Willy...

And yes I'm not quite in my 20s !! I've been a good friend of John's for over 30 years and been at all his big events over those decades. Good to see there's another Otway fan on the TAMB :)

12 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Yep Geneva was the follow up single...if any one hasn't heard it, please find it on YouTube...it's a truly beautiful song. And also correct about his opening albums...some great tracks on them...Otway is a very under-rated songwriter. Another good album was his first without Wild Willy, appropriately entitled All Ballls and No Willy...

And yes I'm not quite in my 20s !! I've been a good friend of John's for over 30 years and been at all his big events over those decades. Good to see there's another Otway fan on the TAMB :)

Can you post a link or have I missed it on an earlier page ?