B=sides that shouldn't have been - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

B=sides that shouldn't have been

On 6/2/2017 at 10:20 PM, dandydunn said:

Acquiesce and The Masterplan

Noel said in a recent interview that he was far to generous with songs that were not destined for albums, and admits someone should have took him to the side that to say that songs like Acquiesce, Masterplan, Half a world away and Talk Tonight were more worthy of a place on Be Here Now than most the tracks on it..... but his ego got in the way as he said he had the first 3 albums all planned out years in advance.

Edited by wanderer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MorayCupMan

Round our way the b side of wonderwall is a wee forgotten gem. Dinna even think it was on the masterplan b sides album they brought out, if ma memory serves me well

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Barney Rubble said:

The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down (B-side of Get Back)

Loads of great Beatles ones: Revolution, Baby You're A Rich Man, I Am The Walrus, Rain, She's A Woman, You Can't Do That, I Saw Her Standing There etc.

(Mainly John songs interestingly, Paul seemed to dominate the A sides)

1 hour ago, MorayCupMan said:

Round our way the b side of wonderwall is a wee forgotten gem. Dinna even think it was on the masterplan b sides album they brought out, if ma memory serves me well

That's a records. Had forgotten about that.

In 1981 The Stray Cats released "Rock This Town" and the B side was "You Cant Hurry Love"

It reached number 9 in the charts

In late 1982 Phil Collins released You Cant Hurry Love as a single and it became his first number 1 solo single and subsequently certified gold

So this is really one B side that shouldnt have been for The Stray Cats but not for the gist of this thread 

The Stray Cats version was also infinitely better

On 02/06/2017 at 11:07 PM, TDYER63 said:

No vinyl by then I imagine,  just nostalgia and one of the few songs that actually made me think of something other than where my next cider and babycham was coming from ...

This was the first record I ever bought, any B side by any artist would be an improvement.

I ruined the single taking it to school one day at end of term when we were allowed to take our own records in. A bottle of limeade i bought from Galbraiths broke in my school bag and destroyed  poor Jimmy ?

Listen at your peril . 

Ahem!!

I am about to make up for my butterfly dementia the other day. That was not the first record you bought. 

We bought our first two singles together in 1973 by pooling our pocket money. 

One of those singles was You'll never find another fool like me by the New Seekers.

People may think I've got the embarrassing one out of the way first. Not a bit of it. The other was I love you love me love by Gary Glitter! :(

Maybe you've removed that from your memory!

9 hours ago, MorayCupMan said:

Yep, great tune.

IIRC The Masterplan album was put together after a vote from the bands world wide fan club members (it was never intended to be released in Europe, and was a North America and Asia PR stunt) and this was at a time when they would put something like 3 (sometimes 4) fresh new songs on a single, so just missed out maybe.

Step Out was another (DLBIA B-side) but would imagine they wanted that one avoided as it infringed a Stevie Wonder song and as a result had to get extra writing credits.

Guest MorayCupMan
7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yep, great tune.

IIRC The Masterplan album was put together after a vote from the bands world wide fan club members (it was never intended to be released in Europe, and was a North America and Asia PR stunt) and this was at a time when they would put something like 3 (sometimes 4) fresh new songs on a single, so just missed out maybe.

Step Out was another (DLBIA B-side) but would imagine they wanted that one avoided as it infringed a Stevie Wonder song and as a result had to get extra writing credits.

Ah never knew that....thanks...just had a wee look again at it and forgot its good to be free as well, great tunes on that album

22 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

Ah never knew that....thanks...just had a wee look again at it and forgot its good to be free as well, great tunes on that album

Yeah,that was probably Oasis B-Side peak, as I can not think of many post 2000 B-sides I care for..... "(As Long as They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell" and "One way road" two of the very few I care for, I do not think it was long before they just gave up and stuck a live version of Live Forever or Cigarettes and Alcohol on as a b-side's.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

This was a B-side twice but never appeared on a studio album amazingly. One of his very best...

IMHO not a fan of the studio version that appears on Decade, but the version on Live Rust in brilliant!

Wish he would hurry and get the Archives Vol 2 released!

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

IMHO not a fan of the studio version that appears on Decade, but the version on Live Rust in brilliant!

Wish he would hurry and get the Archives Vol 2 released!

Agreed the faster acoustic version is much better, what a way to start those Rust Never Sleeps gigs.

Good luck with your second point! I doubt he'll ever find a format he's satisfied with...

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Good luck with your second point! I doubt he'll ever find a format he's satisfied with...

Aye, doubt it will happen and think he has lost all interest in the project now, plus Vol 2 was to cover his strongest/peak period, so was always a big task (apparently 3 albums worth of non-released stuff before you even get into b-side, CSNY, Live stuff, movie soundtracks, out-takes and alternative tracks).... release date has gone from 2010....to "some time in 2012"....to "putting finishing touches for a 2015 release".... to "no news when it will be released" last year.

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Aye, doubt it will happen and think he has lost all interest in the project now, plus Vol 2 was to cover his strongest/peak period, so was always a big task (apparently 3 albums worth of non-released stuff before you even get into b-side, CSNY, Live stuff, movie soundtracks, out-takes and alternative tracks).... release date has gone from 2010....to "some time in 2012"....to "putting finishing touches for a 2015 release".... to "no news when it will be released" last year.

He's maybe just decided to release those albums individually...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.stereogum.com/1943245/long-lost-neil-young-album-hitchhiker-reportedly-coming-this-summer/news%3famp=1

Certainly suits me better than spending a couple of ton on a box set that I need to play through my telly!

22 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

He's maybe just decided to release those albums individually...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.stereogum.com/1943245/long-lost-neil-young-album-hitchhiker-reportedly-coming-this-summer/news%3famp=1

Certainly suits me better than spending a couple of ton on a box set that I need to play through my telly!

That album I think is effectively getting around to releasing Chrome Dreams (which itself is a odd album, as Neil likes to change his tune on it from it being the "next step" after Harvest, to "its a bootleg Frankenstein album of studio demo that someone put together") as most those tracks have been available in bootleg for years, with "Homegrown" being the big album he recorded at the time which was binned at the launch party and replaced with "Tonight's the Night"..... and the other being a kind of low-key Reggae/Caribbean themed album (:huh:) that he had toyed with in the early 80's, but went with "Trans" instead.

Edited by wanderer

Whatever by Oasis had 3 B-sides; (It's Good) To Be Free, Half The World Away & Slide Away; all absolutely brilliant tunes, especially the latter. 

Guns & Roses Appetite For Destruction was infamous for re releasing singles Sweet Child o Mine 3 times first time peaked at #24 several weeks, 2nd release flopped, the 3rd release was a shortened remix which went to #1 the other song re released was Welcome to the jungle released 3 times as well peaked at #24 on  2nd release the 3rd release featured Night Train as a B side ... only to be released as a single a couple of months later

[youtube]

Edited by FuNsTeR

5 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Would Slide Away still be classed as a B side given it was on Definitely Maybe?  

Was never a single and was a B-Side latterly on Whatever. Although, yeah, it was on Definitely Maybe first.  

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Was never a single and was a B-Side latterly on Whatever. Although, yeah, it was on Definitely Maybe first.  

One of my favourites. It features on Football Factory too iirc

21 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

That was just a "bridge" song between the first album and Morning Glory (with a touch of trying to cash in on the Christmas market, as it was released in mid December) and Noel back then did things very much on a whim...... ie this is the single, so will write 3 B-Sides for them and thus are destined for that single rather than saved for later if they actually turn out to be anything special.... Slide Away was probably added in to keep Definitely Maybe still relevant.

Manic's were also good for B-sides at the time (though they did more cover version or 2 or 3 remixes of the single in question), with probably my favorite "Black Holes for the Young" which they did with Sophie Ellis Bexter (but did not make their "B-Sides compilation's album).

Travis actually have some good B-sides round about The Invisible Band period ("No Cigar" is one I like, just to hear Neil Primrose shout "dobber" into a microphone :lol:) 

19 hours ago, Marky said:

Ahem!!

I am about to make up for my butterfly dementia the other day. That was not the first record you bought. 

We bought our first two singles together in 1973 by pooling our pocket money. 

One of those singles was You'll never find another fool like me by the New Seekers.

People may think I've got the embarrassing one out of the way first. Not a bit of it. The other was I love you love me love by Gary Glitter! :(

Maybe you've removed that from your memory!

Sorry to burst yer bubble granpa but wee Jimmy released his single in dec 72 , i took it to school the day we broke up for xmas. Its ruination was the single most devastating thing in my life at that time so i remember it well. The woman in galbraiths tried to console me with a penny mixture. 

Cant believe i was devastated at Jimmy Osmond when Gary Glitter was lurking about. 

6 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Good point, I suppose a true B side would have appeared on the single and nowhere else.

On that front I'd pick "Dandelion" by the Stones, a great wee psychedelic song, but only a B side and never played live either.