Vietnam - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vietnam

Ormond

Seriously looking into visiting next year. A friend got me thinking when we started gassing about Halong Bay. It got me looking into flying into Hanoi. The place looks as cheap as chips and I've not been to the Indochina area in my puff yet. I was looking at Cambodia and Thailand too but Vietnam jumps out as somewhere different.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Seriously looking into visiting next year. A friend got me thinking when we started gassing about Halong Bay. It got me looking into flying into Hanoi. The place looks as cheap as chips and I've not been to the Indochina area in my puff yet. I was looking at Cambodia and Thailand too but Vietnam jumps out as somewhere different.

I'm here the noo in Haiphong, 40 miles from Halong Bay. No been there yet like.

Country is superb. Best folk in the SE Asia/Indochina peninsula.

Hanoi is a bit conservative, not a party town but some decent sights. Danang/Hoi An, Saigon and (allegedly Phu Quoc) all superb.

21 hours ago, Mitre said:

I'm here the noo in Haiphong, 40 miles from Halong Bay. No been there yet like.

Country is superb. Best folk in the SE Asia/Indochina peninsula.

Hanoi is a bit conservative, not a party town but some decent sights. Danang/Hoi An, Saigon and (allegedly Phu Quoc) all superb.

What you get for your buck makes it look top drawer. 

10 hours ago, Mitre said:

Last year I had a 450ml bottle of Saigon Green in a cafe in Bui Vien, HCM for 8000 VND which is around 28p.

Not the greatest scoop in the world but good for the price.

Aye. I was reading there are many places that do 3 course scrans for a couple of quid.

• 5 months later...

@Mitre, how did the trip go then now you’ve completed it? I’m booking up this week. I’m looking at flying into Ho Chi Min for a couple of days then I want to take the huge train up all the way to Hanoi. Then go to Halong for a couple of days before flying back from Hanoi. 

On 11/16/2017 at 4:28 AM, Ormond said:

@Mitre, how did the trip go then now you’ve completed it? I’m booking up this week. I’m looking at flying into Ho Chi Min for a couple of days then I want to take the huge train up all the way to Hanoi. Then go to Halong for a couple of days before flying back from Hanoi. 

I'm still here grafting.

The train takes like 40 hours or something. I wouldn't do it on holiday like. Never done Halong Bay but the folk who have gone there say 1 overnight is plenty.

Just back from Danang & Hoi An and would definitely recommend you spend some time there, especially Hoi An. Phu Quoc next on my to do list.

1 hour ago, Mitre said:

I'm still here grafting.

The train takes like 40 hours or something. I wouldn't do it on holiday like. Never done Halong Bay but the folk who have gone there say 1 overnight is plenty.

Just back from Danang & Hoi An and would definitely recommend you spend some time there, especially Hoi An. Phu Quoc next on my to do list.

Never knew you were working there. Whit is it ye dae?