Scottish teams in Europe - Page 63 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

In 2001 - Celtic got 9 points in their first ever Champions League group stage, and were dumped from Europe. 

Now, they lose five from six games, win 3 points, and have a -18 goal diff & it’s being termed as a great success and progression.

Did they finish 3rd? Guess there was not parachute into Europa league...

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

In 2001 - Celtic got 9 points in their first ever Champions League group stage, and were dumped from Europe. 

Now, they lose five from six games, win 3 points, and have a -18 goal diff & it’s being termed as a great success and progression.

This illustrates the massive gulf between the very few elite super rich sides and the rest of Europe. They got their super league with actually having to break away.

Anderlecht looked quite happy to settle for a 1-0 victory which was strange?

Perhaps didn’t want to risk losing, but made for a pretty grim spectacle.

I was praying for a 2nd goal followed by a late; dodgy as fuck penalty!

:lol:

Not that I’m bitter... :P

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The €1.5m win bonus might have meant more to them than qualifying for the Europa League?  Another example of how fitba is fecked if so...

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I was praying for a 2nd goal followed by a late; dodgy as fuck penalty!

:lol:

Not that I’m bitter... :P

Aye, was utterly bizarre, although I think they realised their chance had gone in the first half when they had several openings and the goal was nothing more than scant consolation.

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

What's the problem with Griffiths , why is he not being selected ?

Dembele is a more sellable asset and Europe is the best shop window?

Seem to rotate the 3 (Sinclair, Griffiths and Dembele), but favour Dembele for the big games.

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Dembele is a more sellable asset and Europe is the best shop window?

Seem to rotate the 3 (Sinclair, Griffiths and Dembele), but favour Dembele for the big games.

Eduoard scored a hat trick at the weekend so deserved his run out.

griff has been poor recently.

15 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Eduoard scored a hat trick at the weekend so deserved his run out.

griff has been poor recently.

Aye, can’t argue with that.

Has Griffiths been in and out the team as he’s been poor? Or has he been poor because he has been in and out the team?

Perhaps the free kicks v England have swayed my judgement, but was he not on fire at the tail end of last season?

7 hours ago, Mox said:

Aye, was utterly bizarre, although I think they realised their chance had gone in the first half when they had several openings and the goal was nothing more than scant consolation.

Think it was this and the fact that Celtic played better in the second half. 

Obviously not a Celtic fan but I thought that Rodgers interview was cringeworthy. How he can possibly claim success from this European campaign or progress with just the one win against a team that was in utter disarray at the time, is beyond me. 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Obviously not a Celtic fan but I thought that Rodgers interview was cringeworthy. How he can possibly claim success from this European campaign or progress with just the one win against a team that was in utter disarray at the time, is beyond me. 

He doesn’t half talk some shite!

Macys assessment was brutally honest.

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Think it was this and the fact that Celtic played better in the second half. 

Did he actually claim success, or are you exaggerating?

It's very slight progress in that we've managed to stay in Europe. I wouldn't call it improvement though.

49 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Did he actually claim success, or are you exaggerating?

It's very slight progress in that we've managed to stay in Europe. I wouldn't call it improvement though.

He claimed it was a success. His words, not mine. Heard the interview on the radio on the way to work yesterday. 

I think that's 3 years in a row that Celtic have managed 3 points in the Group Stage and this year it included Celtics biggest ever defeat at home and away. 

I'd say this season was significantly poorer than last season. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

He claimed it was a success. His words, not mine. Heard the interview on the radio on the way to work yesterday. 

I think that's 3 years in a row that Celtic have managed 3 points in the Group Stage and this year it included Celtics biggest ever defeat at home and away. 

I'd say this season was significantly poorer than last season. 

We lost 7-0 to Barcelona last year, so how are you working out that a 7-1 defeat this season is our biggest ever?

Last year we played well at home to Man City, the away leg was a dead rubber so not really worth counting IMO and we lost at home to BMG, the third seed, just like we did with Anderlecht 

None of the above is "significantly" better at all. It's pretty much the same but this year we got lucky that Anderlecht were even worse and we got through.

6 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The aim was always to be in Europe after Xmas, however its been achieved in pretty poor fashion.

I would agree. We essentially won a two legged play off against Anderlecht 3-1. I'd have liked to have went through in a bit more style but I'd rather be through than not.

We were never going to properly compete with the other two. Europa league is going to be our target every year (well second target after qualifying for the group stage) from now on, unless we get a lucky draw and get a top seed who has a nightmare like Benfica and Spartan did this year.

2 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I would agree. We essentially won a two legged play off against Anderlecht 3-1. I'd have liked to have went through in a bit more style but I'd rather be through than not.

We were never going to properly compete with the other two. Europa league is going to be our target every year (well second target after qualifying for the group stage) from now on, unless we get a lucky draw and get a top seed who has a nightmare like Benfica and Spartan did this year.

Agreed. Last seasons was probably a harder group (BMG better than Anderlecht IMO) but the draw in Germany and the home draw with Man City, ignoring the away dead rubber draw, were at least signs of progress (always like that word!) in terms of trying to compete against the better teams. This season seems to have gone backwards. I am not holding out much hope of EL progress either.

45 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The aim was always to be in Europe after Xmas, however its been achieved in pretty poor fashion.

I don't think we've been as good this season across the board, not just in Europe. I can only think of 2 games where we've really clicked into gear. A big part of it for me has been the amount of times Dembele, Griffiths and Roberts have swapped stints on the treatment table. There's also been a drop off in ball retention and form from the likes of Sinclair, Armstrong and Rogic.

I think Brendan need to have a close look at the likes of Devries, Ralston, Ajer, Kouassi and Édouard over the next few months to see if they can add anything. If they can't there'll need to be a few changes in the summer.

25 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Who could Celtic face in the Europa?

We'll be unseeded so will get someone decent. Arsenal, Athletico Madrid, Milan, Lyon are some of the possibilities.

The way we have defended this season you wouldn't be confident of getting past anyone.