Scottish teams in Europe - Page 59 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

Caught a bit of the highlights last night and have to say Craig Gordon looked more than suspect at a few of the goals.  Any time I see him these days (admittedly not that often) he seems to look a bit dodgy and it surprises me that Celtic have kept this domestic run going so long with him in goal.

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Caught a bit of the highlights last night and have to say Craig Gordon looked more than suspect at a few of the goals.  Any time I see him these days (admittedly not that often) he seems to look a bit dodgy and it surprises me that Celtic have kept this domestic run going so long with him in goal.

I don't know about last night but he and his center backs especially have made some howlers both in Europe and domestic football. At the back they are no better than under Deila but they get away with it more in domestic matches as the rest of the team has improved and they no longer just rely on Griffiths to score goals.

29 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I think you're a bit harsh on Gordon there and Im not his biggest fan. He was cruelly exposed by a dithering back 4, who in turn were exposed by mistakes in front of them. The player I was most annoyed at last night was Rogic. It's one thing being 'brave on the ball', quite another to give the feckin thing away every time you get it!

Cuffed off probably the best team in Europe, these things happen. Lovely city, stadium was actually really good as were their fans. Our lot on the other hand are some of the worst c unts going, some proper cretins that follow Celtic, particularly the teuchtar lads, you'd think theyd never have been outside Scotland the way they behave.

36 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

From what I saw, it would have been a few more than 7 if Gordon hadn't been so decent.

Celtic appear to be in a weird place.  Domestically they are untouchable and have x10 the wealth of anyone.  In Europe, they are a laughing stock, albeit only have x7 of the wealth of some of the big teams.  It's true (and a major disadvantage to Celtic) that there's no competition at home. Our league is a foregone conclusion, it's dull as feck and as a result we can't attract any sponsors, advertising, top players, management or interest.  Until we have a competitive 16/18 team league, none of the foregoing is changing.  That all said,  I can't help think Celtic (and more particularly people like Peter Lawwell ) are largely the architects and custodians of the current situation.  

46 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

From what I saw, it would have been a few more than 7 if Gordon hadn't been so decent.

Celtic appear to be in a weird place.  Domestically they are untouchable and have x10 the wealth of anyone.  In Europe, they are a laughing stock, albeit only have x7 of the wealth of some of the big teams.  It's true (and a major disadvantage to Celtic) that there's no competition at home. Our league is a foregone conclusion, it's dull as feck and as a result we can't attract any sponsors, advertising, top players, management or interest.  Until we have a competitive 16/18 team league, none of the foregoing is changing.  That all said,  I can't help think Celtic (and more particularly people like Peter Lawwell ) are largely the architects and custodians of the current situation.  

I don't necessarily think you can blame Celtic for their current position, the Champions League is skewed towards the big counties but it is also skewing competition in the domestic leagues in the smaller countries. As it stands Celtic are "doomed", in a good year, to get humped in Group stages then parachuted into a competition that's devalued because none of big teams (and their fans) who are are in it give a f*ck about it (with Man United last year being the exception) so it can allow Celtic to generate more money but not enough to make the jump to the next level.

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

So you agree that we didn’t spend £30m then and actually about £5m which is not a million miles away from what Rangers outlayed. You know them doing that means that another team did actually spend 10% if that mythical £30m that you say we ‘could’ spend.

if your trying to paint a picture at least try dealing in facts eh?

Nicham £4.5m, Sinclair £3.5m, Hayes 1.3m, Dembele £500k, Gamboa £1m, Eboue £2.8m, Sviachecko 1.5m, Simunovic £3m, Armstrong £1.5m, Griffiths £1m, Rogic £400k, , Brown £4.4m, Btton £700k.

That's players you have just now that you have paid a fee for. That's not including the loan fees for Roberts etc.

There's £26.1m in fee Celtic have paid for those players.

Celtic can pay players £30k a week, whilst teams like Killie have their highest earners on £1.5k or so a week.  Celtics average first team wage is £750k per man. Killie's total wage bill for the club for all staff is £2.1m (Brendan Rodgers earns this a year)

Shock horror nobody can compete with Celtic in the SPL, Cetlic's resources are light years ahead of anyone else except Rangers and they are a car crash.

It's all relative. That said, at no point did I want Celtic to get a hiding yesterday but spare me the crocodile years about not being able to financially compete.

If you are trying to paint a picture, at least try dealing in facts eh?

The net worth of the PSG team cost roughly x17 of that of Celtic. Bayern Munich cost roughly x15 and interestingly Anderlecht more than double. Not posting to quibble with anyone's Celtic/SPFL comparison but merely add another perspective.

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

I don't necessarily think you can blame Celtic for their current position, the Champions League is skewed towards the big counties but it is also skewing competition in the domestic leagues in the smaller countries. As it stands Celtic are "doomed", in a good year, to get humped in Group stages then parachuted into a competition that's devalued because none of big teams (and their fans) who are are in it give a f*ck about it (with Man United last year being the exception) so it can allow Celtic to generate more money but not enough to make the jump to the next level.

UEFA and more particularly the CL, are the cancer of football.  Designed purely for the rich to get richer.  No argument from me that the CL situation isn't Celtic's fault. Really, what I'm driving at is the state of our domestic game which i still believe to be a materially contributory factor in the Celtic performances in the CL.  Some responsibility for that lies with Celtic themselves.  Again, who'd blame Celtic for not wanting to change this, however, it could be considered short sighted.  

You had a situation a few weeks ago where Celtic play arguably their closest domestic rival and have Aberdeen's best player from the season before sitting on their bench. Furthermore, Aberdeen's best player from this season can't play because he's still a Celtic player.  This is despite Aberdeen bidding on two separate occasions for Christie where the valuation was met and Rodgers agreed both times only for Peter Lawwell to reject. Guessing he rejected because he can but the cynic in me would say it's because he wants to strangle any hint of opposition. Again, is this Celtic's fault?  Probably not.  However, it's making a total mockery of our domestic game. I've read that Celtic are considering a bit for Moult in January.  Could be nonsense and just more white noise from our very embarrassing sports media - but the circle continues.

ETA - for the avoidance of doubt, I'd like to see Celtic competitive in Europe and I'd love a competitive domestic league.

Edited by SMcoolJ

1 hour ago, slasher said:

The net worth of the PSG team cost roughly x17 of that of Celtic. Bayern Munich cost roughly x15 and interestingly Anderlecht more than double. Not posting to quibble with anyone's Celtic/SPFL comparison but merely add another perspective.

This is true, I don't think anyone is denying that.

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Where’d you read that?

:lol:

There was a bit on the Daily Record website the other day along the lines of "5 players Celtic could sign in January" which came out after Rodgers had said he wanted to strengthen the squad.  Moult was on the list along with a CH from Reading, the South African boy they tried to sign and a couple of others.

15 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

There was a bit on the Daily Record website the other day along the lines of "5 players Celtic could sign in January" which came out after Rodgers had said he wanted to strengthen the squad.  Moult was on the list along with a CH from Reading, the South African boy they tried to sign and a couple of others.

The D***y R****d?  How very dare you......

(I think i saw it on SSN.)

Edited by SMcoolJ

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nicham £4.5m, Sinclair £3.5m, Hayes 1.3m, Dembele £500k, Gamboa £1m, Eboue £2.8m, Sviachecko 1.5m, Simunovic £3m, Armstrong £1.5m, Griffiths £1m, Rogic £400k, , Brown £4.4m, Btton £700k.

That's players you have just now that you have paid a fee for. That's not including the loan fees for Roberts etc.

There's £26.1m in fee Celtic have paid for those players.

Celtic can pay players £30k a week, whilst teams like Killie have their highest earners on £1.5k or so a week.  Celtics average first team wage is £750k per man. Killie's total wage bill for the club for all staff is £2.1m (Brendan Rodgers earns this a year)

Shock horror nobody can compete with Celtic in the SPL, Cetlic's resources are light years ahead of anyone else except Rangers and they are a car crash.

It's all relative. That said, at no point did I want Celtic to get a hiding yesterday but spare me the crocodile years about not being able to financially compete.

If you are trying to paint a picture, at least try dealing in facts eh?

Keep going back instead of basing it on the one summer window you’ll eventually get to the £30m figure. Go on you know you want to. 

8 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Group stage was drawn every single Celtic fan were looking at 3rd place in the group and correct me if i am wrong Celtic are on course for that

So, Aberdeen aiming for second is cool with you every season? 

1 minute ago, Blackpool78 said:

As long as Celtic finish above them i couldnt care :lol:

Celtic fans seem to continually question Aberdeen’s bottle or lack of ambition though. But you saying when the Champs League draw was made every single Celtic fan had their sights on third is exactly the same as Aberdeen fans resigning themselves to second before a ball is kicked.

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Celtic fans seem to continually question Aberdeen’s bottle or lack of ambition though. But you saying when the Champs League draw was made every single Celtic fan had their sights on third is exactly the same as Aberdeen fans resigning themselves to second before a ball is kicked.

Having finished in last place last season finishing 3rd this season is progress in my eyes,  we were never going to compete with the top 2 in the group and trying to say Celtic lack bottle is laughable 

Just now, Blackpool78 said:

Having finished in last place last season finishing 3rd this season is progress in my eyes,  we were never going to compete with the top 2 in the group and trying to say Celtic lack bottle is laughable 

Not even trying to get close to the top teams shows a lack of ambition. Bottling it when it comes to the crunch for sure. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Not even trying to get close to the top teams shows a lack of ambition. Bottling it when it comes to the crunch for sure. 

How do you get close to them 2 though? Throw 100 million at the team and end up like them across the city? I would rather stay the way we are thanks 

2 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

How do you get close to them 2 though? Throw 100 million at the team and end up like them across the city? I would rather stay the way we are thanks 

See the next time Aberdeen lose against Celtic and you pipe up. I’m bringing up this statement from you. 👍🏻

For what it’s worth, I’m in agreement with you. It just pisses me off to read about Scottish sides supposedly “bottling it” or “lacking in ambition” when Celtic continue on their gazillion game unbeaten run. 

Edited by Ormond